FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The residence of Doctor Jones... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The residence of Doctor Jones...
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
But he thinks it's a girl's name, so I doubt that's his reference.

Shia LaBeouf is in the new Indiana Jones movie, so I think it's highly doubtful that he wasn't referring to him.
Bingo!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
I'm making a few assumptions yes, mostly based upon differences I find between English and Spanish. I think I know what you mean about Natural and Grammatical gender, and it is this difference that causes me to believe that I have a point and you are missing it. I could be wrong.

Yes, I think you're wrong. I get your point. You've restated it several times now. My point is that just because a word belongs to the feminine gender in Latin doesn't mean it's a girl's name. And yes, you can throw out examples like Maria and Mario, but that doesn't mean that Indiana is analogous.

For starters, it's not even real Latin, and if it were, it would be a strangely formed word. India is a place name. Add an -n and it becomes an adjective referring to that place name. But then we tack on another -a to turn it back into a place name. So I think we can safely say that it's not really Latin, but merely an English word that happens to resemble Latin.

quote:
I too am sorry that Rakeesh may not receive the satisfaction of my eternal defeat for which he obviously so desperately seeks, but since you and I know that there are Noam Chompsky-ish areas of language that prevent a complete melding of ideas (I am referring to the idea that language may influence basic ideas and prejudices), can we not agree that I am way wrong if we stay within an English language paradigm, but stepping out into the larger world... I might be on to something?
Doubtful. And anyway, what's the point of analyzing an English word from a world paradigm? Do you honestly think anyone in the world cares that we have a male movie character name named Indiana? Do you have any evidence to show that the rest of the world is pointing their fingers at us and laughing because of it?

I'm really curious about what you mean by "Noam Chompsky-ish [sic] areas of language" and why you think Chomsky has anything to do with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

You got me there, I was just speaking from memory of a Cultural Anthropology class from about 3 years ago. Hence, the misspelling of Chomsky's name and the misattribution of the relevant hypothesis.

I think you're taking all of this a little too far, Jon. Regardless of my tortured logic, which I have been making up on the fly, my original statement was to represent that Spanish speakers find it humorous that movie hero whom we (or I, at least) consider to be the epitome of masculinity... HAS A GIRL'S NAME!!!

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think you're taking all of this a little too far, Jon. Regardless of my tortured logic, which I have been making up on the fly, my original statement was to represent that Spanish speakers find it humorous that movie hero whom we (or I, at least) consider to be the epitome of masculinity... HAS A GIRL'S NAME!!!
Well, I guess that's like saying, "I was wrong."
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer when people take proper nouns and make them into Latin - especially with cases: see "Californiensis," "Arizonensis," and most relevantly, "Indianensis." [Roll Eyes]

I am not a fan of "Modern Latin."

I am, however, a huge fan of the interior of Dr. Jones' house. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:

*laugh*

You're the one spouting off misinformation left and right to try to support a ridiculous and irrelevant opinion, and I'm the one taking it too far? Okay, whatever.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What, are those supposed to be genitive constructs or something? I'm mostly seeing those in binomial nomenclature (species designations). I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the -ensis suffix.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.