FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MacBook Air

Author Topic: MacBook Air
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
So Apple, has come out with "the worlds thinnest notebook."

It's got me on the cool factor, pulling it out of the manilla envelope, I mean, come on, who can't think that's cool?

But then you find out that it has NO optical drive, and only three ports? Oh, and it costs $ 1,700. Yikes. Might as well spend 300 more on a MacBook Pro and get all the ports. And the optical drive. And a bigger screen. Of course, this is a notebook for those who already have a desktop so they'll just wirelessly take care of everything they need at home. You can even install mac software through a PC and an airport connection.

I really like the song in the commercial though. MacBook Air Commercial

I won't be buying one anytime soon, but I might buy that song! Where does apple find all these cool songs for their commercials?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
You also need an adapter for an ethernet cable if wireless is unavailable.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
You also need a lot of money to waste.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Waste?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The MacBook Air is sexy. Sometimes sexy isn't all that practical, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of when apple introduced their first iMac and everyone was like "OMGZ no floppy disk drives!?!?" But a few years later, all computers were like that.

How long will it be before we no longer have optical drives in any of our computers?

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Sm34rZ:
I'm reminded of when apple introduced their first iMac and everyone was like "OMGZ no floppy disk drives!?!?" But a few years later, all computers were like that.

How long will it be before we no longer have optical drives in any of our computers?

A long time. When Apple did no floppy drives, there was still a way to install software directly to the system via the optical drive. This laptop has no such option, short of purchasing an external optical drive.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Most software nowadays is installed over the internet. I don't even remember the last time I put in a software installation disc (other than a Linux installation CD).

That which isn't will not be things the user is installing on the fly, and thus can be readily installed off the owner's desktop system. While there are legitimate criticisms, even relating to the optical drive, not being able to install software is not one of them.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rarely using my optical Drive even now. I have an ipod, so I don't burn CDs. I download almost all the movies I watch (and have a DVD player with my TV anyway). I also only use 3 ports on my macbook, the DVI, 1 USB port, and the headphone jack (they must have had me in mind). Macbook Air would be perfect for me if I hadn't already bought my (very nice) black macbook.

[ January 19, 2008, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Launchywiggin ]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, you helped me install my Office on a disk, right? Claim that and September of 06.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most software nowadays is installed over the internet.
For Mac and Linux users, perhaps, who have no brick and mortar options. [Wink]

I agree with your larger point, though.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where does apple find all these cool songs for their commercials?

iTunes?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Most software nowadays is installed over the internet. I don't even remember the last time I put in a software installation disc (other than a Linux installation CD).

This phenomenon might be more widespread than I believe it to be, but I've yet to meet a single person other than you (which includes everyone I know professionally) for whom this is true.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
quote:
Where does apple find all these cool songs for their commercials?

iTunes?
[ROFL] Mike wins the thread!
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, I definitely install things using disc occasionally, I just don't remember when, and I definitely wasn't somewhere on a trip, away from my desktop.

eros, when was the last software you installed from disc? What was it? When was the last software you installed from disc somewhere other than in your home or office? What was it?

edit: and major modern games don't really matter. This is not in any way a gaming platform.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
eros, when was the last software you installed from disc? What was it?
Windows.
quote:
When was the last software you installed from disc somewhere other than in your home or office? What was it?
I see where you're going with this, but it's irrelevant; see below.
quote:
edit: and major modern games don't really matter. This is not in any way a gaming platform.
Oh, I agree; but at the same time, I think "the user will have a desktop at home" is a major assumption as well, and a bad one.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this laptop was designed to fill the Ultra Portable Niche. It's a complete waste of money for anyone who doesn't *need* to have a very light, very portable computer at all times. The majority of people who do need that type of thing will also need to have a desktop available. From what I've heard, this particular laptop is designed to function well with an iMac over the wireless connection.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from it being a mac, there are so many things I don't like about this. Of course, all those things are already listed here.

But I'm not the type to buy a slim notebook, let alone an ultraslim. It's just not what I would use.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was in the market for a new laptop, this would be it. Aside from Greenpeace saying its one of the few "green" computers yet made, the fact is I can't think what I would use an optical drive for. Since moving from Windows, I haven't used a cd or dvd rom install disk. The size seems amazing.

I really do think cat 5 cables and optical drives will be the 5.25 & 3.25 floppies in the near future. Most new homes are being built with wifi instead of bundles of cables as was the practice in the past. And I have a feeling that usb thumb drives will move beyond just being common to being ubiquitous. A few years ago a thumb usb drive with 512 MB was insanely expensive and at the outer limits of storage capacity. With most thumbs now starting at well over a gig, storage for a single program distribution is pretty much not an issue. If software companies wanted to they could switch to USB drives overnight.

I also think most early adopters of this system probably already have desktops and wifi. Meaning if they come across software that only comes on an optical reader format, it won't be an issue for them. The advantages of having a system such as this new Apple is that it is ultra portable. Lots of people need that.

I think this is just another example of Apple being ahead of the curve again in terms of personal computer technology. Now whether it turns out to be the nexT Imac or the next Newton or Lisa is a different matter. The Mac mini has proven to people you don't need a 2 foot tall beige box to sit on a person's desk. Air may prove you don't need to lug around a ten pound machine that needs its own suitcase.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the MacBook Air was shipped with a filter installed which blocks all references to Ron Paul.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
beautiful laptop.

I don't think the lack of an optical drive is a big deal. It can piggyback of the drive of a PC or Mac through the wireless network. I don't use CDs often enough that it would be a bother for me.

As for only having wirelesses...even my desktop PC only has a wireless card. My cable modem and router are actually in a room without a computer...so I only use wifi in my house.

However, the MacBook Air is well out of my price range right now...but I would love to have it. It is one of those things that I would get if I was rich, but as it is, I could never justify spending the money on it now.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I use my laptop's optical drive all the time. I watch DVD's on it, play and burn CD's on it, and, yes, occasionally install software using it. The lack of an optical drive is my only annoyance with my tablet PC from work.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Temposs
Member # 6032

- posted      Profile for Temposs           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Oh, I agree; but at the same time, I think "the user will have a desktop at home" is a major assumption as well, and a bad one.

eros, this is not a bad assumption at all. These top-end Apple products like the Macbook Air and the iPhone aren't meant for the "value" end of the Apple market.

For the market that they are aiming for, having two computers is not cost prohibitive or wasteful, nor is it cost prohibitive to have a $400 cell phone with a high end data plan.

They are not even assuming that people have a desktop, just that they have any computer with an optical drive(and more ports), and a wifi router($50 purchase if not). For anyone in the market for any computer costing $1700, this is probably the case.

This should be a great market calculation.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Small laptop = good
No DVD payer = bad

I bought my laptop in large part because it was so small and light. I take it with me on trips and to seminars, so heavy is out. OTOH, being able to watch movies on it is critical, and most of mine (whether ones I own or have Netflixed) are on DVD.

Also, 3 pounds is just not enough lighter than mine's 4.2 pounds for me to care.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

3 pounds? I think my wife's Vaio is lighter than that. And it has a DVD/CD-RW drive.

EDIT: yep. 2.7

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
But does that Vaio give you the same feeling of superiority that the MacBook Air would?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
3 pounds? I think my wife's Vaio is lighter than that. And it has a DVD/CD-RW drive.

EDIT: yep. 2.7

SHH!!!!

I do not need a new laptop. I do not need a new laptop. I do not need a new laptop.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Considering the laptop is only aimed at people with a desktop at home, it is an entirely reasonable assumption. Jobs made it quite clear in his speech that this was a characteristic of the entire target market.

Icarus: as I said, there are other reasons to critique it for not having an optical drive; software installation is not one of them.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Temposs:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

eros, this is not a bad assumption at all. These top-end Apple products like the Macbook Air and the iPhone aren't meant for the "value" end of the Apple market.

For the market that they are aiming for, having two computers is not cost prohibitive or wasteful, nor is it cost prohibitive to have a $400 cell phone with a high end data plan.

I'm not saying it's a bad assumption because buying owning two computers is cost prohibitive. I'm saying it because the vast majority of people I've encountered who own laptops do not own other computers, and of those, most do not have routine access to another computer where they'd be able to allow an external computer the sort of access required to install software. Of those who do own a laptop and another computer, almost all of them were issued the laptop for work. Of those I know who do own laptops, I do not know a SINGLE person who owns two macs. Not one. Zero. Out of hundreds.

There may be enough people hidden somewhere who can counter this fairly extensive anecdotal evidence, but I seriously doubt it.

Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac

I own two Macs, one of which is a laptop.

Of course I tend to stay hidden.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

There are tons of people to counter that anecdote. I run into two-computer people regularly. Most of them are not, of course college students or shortly out of college.

The people this is aimed at are high travel time business people and the like. The ones who want a laptop that takes up minimal space in their luggage and can be easily used to download a rented movie via the airport wireless (which they already have a subscription for, because they travel so often) before departing, to watch on the plane. That is the target audience. They already have a desktop at work, at the very least, and their travel laptop might well also be funded out of work.

Btw, I also have two macs, and one is a laptop. Though, as people have already mentioned in this thread, the desktop would not have to be a mac. Of course, I also have a Vista laptop and a fairly powerful ubuntu box.

edit: and my mom has two macs, one of which is a laptop, and at least one of my coworkers has two computers, one of which is a laptop (not macs, granted, but that's nearly irrelevant), and that isn't counting the several coworkers with work laptops (for which the lack of an optical drive would be irrelevant, due to the abundance of computers to use the optical drives of).

Redskullvw
Member # 1549

fugu

exactly.

Threads
Member # 10863

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I understand the MacBook Air was shipped with a filter installed which blocks all references to Ron Paul.

I hope I'm not the only other person who found that funny. Maybe I read too many blogs [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
This item is really aimed at people slightly older, slightly more established in their careers, and slightly richer than my husband and I.

Right now we have four computers in the house - three laptops and a desktop PC. The desktop is the media/gaming center. Of the laptops, one (a Dell) is my work/school computer, one (an HP) is from Abhi's last company (they let him keep it after they were acquired), and one (a MacBook Pro) is Abhi's current work laptop. Maybe it's because we're from Silicon Valley, but I know a lot of families or couples with a similar number of computers - and a lot of single people with two or more computers.

If Abhi traveled a little bit more for work, and was slightly higher up on the food chain - more strategy/management work, less graphic work, then he'd probably be purchasing an Air in the next year or so - or getting his company to purchase it for him. It's actually the perfect computer for his boss.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

Commodore vs. MacBook Air
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would have wanted to attempt my last software install -- all 47GB of Logic Studio, spread over about 7 DVDs -- over a wireless network connection. I was installing it on my desktop, and I don't own a laptop. I'm not much for watching movies on portable devices, portable entertainment is what books and my DS are for. I'm just musing, though -- I agree with fugu and others about the Air's target market.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

It would be a pretty bad idea to use an Air as one's Logic Studio machine, especially if one had a desktop [Wink] .
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD thing tripped me up, until I realized this thing probably assumes you download TV episodes on iTunes to watch on the plane.

That commodore comparison was hilarious.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
It would be a pretty bad idea to use an Air as one's Logic Studio machine, especially if one had a desktop [Wink] .

Quite so. [Razz]

I imagine that even for using MainStage you'd probably want at least a regular MacBook for the increased number of ports.

(For people who have no idea what I'm talking about, Logic Studio is Apple's audio suite; MainStage is the component of it that's designed for use with live performances.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.