FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I wonder what Bill Watterson thinks of this?

Author Topic: I wonder what Bill Watterson thinks of this?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer.

Lio's kind of a modern day member of the Addams family.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfectly dark.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that's hilarious.

I'm going to go read some Calvin and Hobbes now.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I was never fond of Lio. His humor was always far too much about fantasizing about teaming up with monsters to overpower adults. That, or the stupidity and drunkenness of the adults. It's an inaccurate portrayal of children.

*laughs*

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
That is in poor taste. I, too, would be curious to know what Watterson thinks of it.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was pretty funny.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
So did I.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Lio is a very hit and miss comic strip for me. Sometimes it's pretty funny, but at least half of the time it's a repetition of the exact same formula, which has a freaky monster instead of a punchline.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
We thought it was funny.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Watterson would get a chuckle out of that. I certainly did.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I think Watterson would get a chuckle out of that. I certainly did.

Ditto.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Adding in:

I personally liked the strip. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

I don't think it's in poor taste at all. Sure it's dark, but that's just how dark humor rolls.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. C&H stopped in 1996? That's... a long time now.

(wikis)

And The Far Side stopped in '95.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Huh. C&H stopped in 1996? That's... a long time now.

(wikis)

And The Far Side stopped in '95.

I remember that time! It was about the era that comics pages really began to suck in my lifetime.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's in bad taste, it just makes me sad.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Taken with the Watterson-style trees in the background, I think it's more of an homage.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Un-lurks

My childhood ended the moment I discovered there was no more Calvin & Hobbes to be had..

Sad day..

This comic strip still makes me smile though.

-Pepek

Re-lurks

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, has it REALLY been since 95???

I remember the last day that comic ran. I was so sad.

If you all remember, Calvin's final line was "let's go exploring!"

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
For Calvin and Hobbes fans: http://www.s-anand.net/calvinandhobbes.html#19851119

You can search for strips with certain words in them by typing in the search bar, clicking on the current strip will take you to the next one with that same search word in it. (I add this explanation not because I think you're stupid, but because it took me a while to figure it out exactly...)

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Starsnuffer, AWESOME site! Thanks!

This strip here became my family motto while I was growing up. We actually have it framed.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars is amazing!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Scratch Fury's take!
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone see the Calvin and Hobbes sketch on "Robot Chicken"?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Did anyone see the Calvin and Hobbes sketch on "Robot Chicken"?

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Mars is amazing!

[Razz]
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
It's linked two posts up from yours.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
We thought it was funny.

Resistance is futile.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.