FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefox/Internet Explorer help

Author Topic: Firefox/Internet Explorer help
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I upgraded my internet explorer the other day to the latest update, or whatever they pushed on me to upgrade it to.

And now it doesn't work. At all. So, I went and got Firefox.

Cool, huh?

But that doesn't work either, same kind of screen saying it can't connect. Now, my AOL connects still, so I'm on it. But it's unimaginably inconvenient compared to IE and, I imagine, Firefox.

It won't fix itself, and I have no idea what to do to fix it. Anybody have any ideas?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the connection settings . . . particularly the proxy settings and the LAN settings.

ETA: The easiest way to get it right would be to compare the same settings on Firefox and AOL, and make the Firefox ones match the AOL ones.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, how are you connected to the internet? Phone line, network cable, wireless?

Have you tried re-running whatever applicable network connection wizards?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Opera?
Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yes, DSH. And Opera isn't working either.

I'm connected to the internet as normal, with the normal cable internet, wireless. Everything's normal, and my AOL program works perfectly fine (though AOL is inconvenient beyond how I remembered it.)

I'll check the settings now, but I don't know where to find the settings.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Can't find the AOL proxy and LAN settings. No clue where to find such things, and I'm looking everywhere.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
In internet explorer, go to tools, then internet options (you may have to right click on an open spot on the menu bar, then click toolbar to actually show this menu in IE7). Once there, go to connections, then LAN settings. Make sure all the boxed in there are unchecked.

There's a good chance that there was some malware attached to IE6 that got borked up when you upgraded, and that can have some devastating affects. They're all fixable...but tracking them down can be...problematic.

The first thing to try, assuming the Internet settings are okay, is to start up in safe mode and see if you can connect with IE or Firefox (reboot the computer, and hit F8 a few times before the windows screen shows up. Then select "Safe mode with networking"). If you can, the problem is likely malware related. If not, there are probably some deeper, networking related issues.

Hopefully this will get you going a little further in the right direction. If I could get my hands on it I could probably fix it pretty quick, but hopefully we can guide you through the steps through here.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

What version of AOL do you have, BTW?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

To Boris: IO have AOL 9.0 SE, or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I went to LAN settings, and none of the bozes are checked. All of them are unchecked.

Anyway, I did try safe mode with Firefox. Nothing happened then either.

You're probably right. My AOL, as I said, 9.0 Security Edition SE, works fine. Which is where I'm speaking to you on.

Oh. You mean safe mode for the computer! Good idea, I'll get right on that.

Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
To Boris: IO have AOL 9.0 SE, or something like that.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I went to LAN settings, and none of the bozes are checked. All of them are unchecked.

Anyway, I did try safe mode with Firefox. Nothing happened then either.

You're probably right. My AOL, as I said, 9.0 Security Edition SE, works fine. Which is where I'm speaking to you on.

Oh. You mean safe mode for the computer! Good idea, I'll get right on that.

I have actually seen that security edition thing screw up before. And by screw up I mean, completely shut down a computer's ability to access the Internet. And given the fact that it's an entirely stupid software firewall, there's a good chance that it isn't allowing the new browsers access to the Internet. That said, my best suggestion at the moment is to uninstall AOL for the time being. You may need to reinstall it to get it to recognize the changes you've made to your computer. There may well be a setting in the security software that will fix this problem, but I don't know it and there really is no way I'm installing AOL on my computer to dig through it [Big Grin]
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you happen to install parental controls from AOL to your computer? My parents tried that on their computer and I had to help them remove it so they could use IE again.

(I just wish I could get my parents off AOL.)

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

No, no parental controls. This is my computer, I'm the only one who uses it, and I'm an adult now.

It would be counterproductive. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I'll see if uninstalling AOL does it. If not, I may be screwed.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

WEll. I uninstalled AOL.

And I'm screwed.

My computer now has NO internet capacity, outside of AOL Instant Messager.

The problem hasn't gone away. I'm connected to the internet without a hiccup, but I can't access it. None of the programs, IE, Firefox, and Opera... none of them work. It's gone, and nothing I can look at will bring it back.

I don't understand. It asks me to connect, but the connection is already there! I make a new connection, but it asks for my user name and password, which I don't have.

I don't understand! Why won't it work?! What happened? What kind of stupid thing would they do, and how do I fix it?

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Never mind - a friend of mine, by sheer luck, happens to work for the company Comcast as a problem solver. She's one of those troubleshooting techs from tech support!

So, she was able to fix this with her mad skillz.

Apparently, the problem was caused solely by Norton Antivirus being pernicious.

Thank you fr the help, though! I appreciate the time you guys took.

rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, nevermind. [Smile]

Glad you got it fixed.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.