FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bible in 90 days, English Translations (Mar 5)

Author Topic: Bible in 90 days, English Translations (Mar 5)
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try this. The local Christian radio station was talking about it. I haven't read the bible cover to cover as an adult, and I think I should. I know a lot of the appeal of it is considering doing it when a lot of other people are also doing it, so I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else thought it would be cool. Maybe afterward I'll do dash through the Quran.

I'm kind of cheating by planning to mostly listen to MP3s while I drive. But one of the guys on the radio said he was going to do that as well. So I'll have at least one brother in laziness. I believe they said it was about 14 pages a day, with two free days.

[ March 05, 2008, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'd do it. Read it through once and I didn't burst into flames, so I'm willing to try again. [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't try to drive distances during the "begats" It's hard enough to stay awake when you drive!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

[Cool]

I found the link to the reading schedule:
http://90daybible.haventoday.org/ReadingSchedule.pdf
They sell a special NIV divided up by days, which I was tempted to get, since I don't have an NIV. But as I was researching the NIV, I thought that if I am going to get a modern English version, there are others that would interest me more. The NIV blends word for word and thought for thought. I'll stick with King James for this round since I have the MP3s.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I ought to give that a try. I've read the New Testament a couple of times as well as the gospels once in Russian. I read the Old Testament until I got tired of Psalms and never quite finished. I'll give this a shot after I'm done studying for the Bar Exam.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is reading the Bible in your MP3s? Because if it was read by someone like Charleton Heston or James Earl Jones, that'd be pretty cool. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I should download a JEJ version. I read it in paper when I was young, but didn't really retain anything. I also got a version from Audible, but I didn't like the translation...
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bible as read by Darth Vader? Hmmmm...I like.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Who is reading the Bible in your MP3s? Because if it was read by someone like Charleton Heston or James Earl Jones, that'd be pretty cool. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

It is read by a british guy with a rather sonorous voice. Genesis 1. There's a summary first, not in the Bible voice.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, but can you do the Bible in 90 minutes?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to do this too. It sounds like a good goal. Plus, I realized that while I've cumulatively read the entire New Testament (probably) I've never done so from cover to cover. And I've certainly never read the Old Testament. Shouldn't be too hard as long as I keep with it, and that looks like a good reading schedule.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good plan. I can get through Genesis unaided, but in the last attempt I came to grief in Exodus...

Good luck Pooka!

*edited for spellung*

[ January 24, 2008, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: anti_maven ]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

:bump:
Good thing I remembered this, because they aren't talking about it on the radio this morning. Maybe I'll call and remind them.

pooka
Member # 5003

3 down, 13 to go.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
The Bible as read by Darth Vader? Hmmmm...I like.

That really puts an interesting spin on the Gospel of Luke, doesn't it?

And other verses could get a little retcon treatment:
quote:
But when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, the LORD raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Jedi Knight, a man without a left hand: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab. But Ehud made him a lightsaber which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh. And he brought the present unto Jabba the Hut of Moab: and Jabba [was] a very fat man. And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present. But he himself turned again from the quarries that [were] by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him. And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of [his] seat. And Ehud put forth his bionic left hand, and took the lightsaber from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly: And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the lightsaber out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well what do you know, that kid in A War of Gifts was reading the Bible literally.

quote:
Gen 5: 2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to have a schedule, and not to get discouraged *or try to catch up* if you get behind. That is, the purpose is to read the whole thing, not to read it in X days, so if you get done later than you expect, you still won!
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oops, for some reason I only went through 13 yesterday, and it was for 16.
pooka
Member # 5003

I just finished Nehemiah - I got a couple of days ahead.

So I have been wondering about English Translations of the Bible. What denomination are you and what translation do you use? I've been following Pastor Dave's Blog and he keeps talking about conflicts between intellectual property rights and ministry. I was pretty intrigued by the NET Bible, which was established to settle such a matter.

What translation do Catholics favor?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.