FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What would you spend an $800 tax rebate on? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would you spend an $800 tax rebate on?
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd put it toward the house we're building in Mexico City.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Goody, let us know if that is what you do. I live about 1 1/2 hour from there, and there is a fairly active Hatrack clump in the Kissimmee area as well, and most of us like Disney. [Smile]

You got it!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
*sad* I change my answer. I would put it towards fixing my car.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd save it to pay off the tax debt I'll have next Spring due to the rebate I received this Spring.

That's the way this works, right? They're loaning us some money in advance which we'll have to pay back next tax year?

If not, well, $1600 might be enough to put us over the top for the new boiler we need.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're loaning us some money in advance which we'll have to pay back next tax year?
Heh. They're loaning us money that we'll have to pay back some time around 2015 in the form of foreign wars.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
They're loaning us some money in advance which we'll have to pay back next tax year?
Heh. They're loaning us money that we'll have to pay back some time around 2015 in the form of foreign wars.
And your investing in foreign currency is betting on the winner?
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: just buy foreign stock indices. Most of the benefits of purchasing foreign currency, few of the downsides.

Precious metals are not a good investment.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN story on what seems to be the latest compromise. For people who paid income tax it's $600 individual, $1200 joint. Incomes up to $75k single/$150k joint eligible. People who didn't make enough to pay income tax would get a lesser amount but still get something. There may also be some extra credit for people with kids in the works.

Again, I'm not really sure if this type of rebate helps much to stimulate the economy. I'm kind of surprised that we don't see any sort of "Buy American" campaign going on like we used to, but I'm guessing as there got to be fewer options to do so people kind of stopped supporting that.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Donate it to the Ron Paul campaign so that I don't have to wonder whether the government will be so kind as to return to me a tiny fraction of the money I earned.
I am married and so we will probably get $1600 back. I plan on donating half to Ron Paul for the very reason Lisa wrote.

I didn't earn this welfare check. I might as well apply a significant portion to the only candidate that I think will seriously address our economy.

The other half will go as an additional payment on the principal on our house. We have no credit card or school loan debt but we have no real savings either, apart from my 401K (which my work automatically puts in money) and life insurance (which I pay into every month).

My goal is to get our overhead down as low as possible and pay off our house early. That is where all of our extra money goes.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hands up who's married to a tax accountant...
*raises hand* [Smile]

Actually, he informs me it's closer to $4800, and that we'd also qualify for at least $1200 under the new deal they just reached (in addition to our regular refund.)

Not that I'm really thrilled about this-- I would rather see that money go toward, you know, education or health care. But as I told him, I guess it will be-- I'll spend it on our family's education and/or health care, in the end...

*lists things to buy before the new baby comes*
Three car seats to fit three across in our Corolla, stroller to replace the one that's falling apart, play pen to replace the one the toddlers destroyed last year... This is starting to look expensive...

(He also informs me he's changed our withholding so that next year we'll get only a very small refund, but we'll get more through the year. Which is fine by me.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

That's a pretty good idea. If you're getting almost $5k back on your normal refund, I'd say your withholding is too high.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it is a done deal now.

Linky

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I'm only going to get $600 then I'm just going to take it to Vegas and bet it all on black.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Would be sweet irony if I took the 600 bucks and donated it to the Obama campaign.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I am so freakin' sick of government stepping in to save people from foreclosures. Don't they realize that saving people from foreclosure is what CAUSES FORECLOSURES?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Yeah, I want more details on what that part involves. I can't help thinking "Hey, I'm a first-time homeowner and I'm NOT in danger of foreclosure... shouldn't I at least get a cookie?" [Wink]

--Enigmatic

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
So I've had a full time job since June and I've had at least 2000-3000 taken out in taxes, but my dad claimed me as a dependent for last year. Will I get a rebate or will he get my money?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
. . . there is a fairly active Hatrack clump in the Kissimmee area as well. . .

Liar. [Razz]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
That's a pretty good idea. If you're getting almost $5k back on your normal refund, I'd say your withholding is too high.

--Enigmatic

Well, actually, he was withholding at a sensible rate the first job he had, lost it, had a few months where he didn't work, and withheld nothing for Federal at the next job. But he plans to be at this job from now on so he actually sat down to crunch the numbers and see what's the highest he can withhold and not owe anything at the end of the year-- and we'll STILL get a refund. Having kids does that. Also, our refund wasn't going to be quite as high until he factored in that he was a full-time student for part of last year and that offset our liability.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
My Honey says she is going to be crusing on our next anniversery. She asked if I had any intention of being there too. I would probably use the money for that.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

LOL! She's going with or without you, huh?
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish, instead of giving tax rebates, and tax cuts, we'd, you know, cut our deficit a little bit?

Its pretty sick how much of our taxes go towards paying INTEREST on the national debt. We get that thing under control, and we can keep the same programs and drop everyone's taxes not just for one year, but long term.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Yeah, I want more details on what that part involves. I can't help thinking "Hey, I'm a first-time homeowner and I'm NOT in danger of foreclosure... shouldn't I at least get a cookie?" [Wink]

You should. And people like me, who crunched the numbers and decided buying a house was way too likely to result in foreclosure should get something too.

How about help with a down payment? [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Tax time is odd here in Spain. I can't make head nor tail of how it works - and belive me I have tried.

Still, I seem to get about 1500 Euros rebate each year, so I'm not complaining.

The truth is Mrs_Maven and I got an accountant to do our tax returns when we bought our house, in order to navigate the burocracy. It only cost us 100€ so we go back to him each year. It saves us time money and hassle and I consider it money well spent.

I suppose that the rebate scheme works out in the end - the Govt. has you money earning interest for a year before they have to give it back...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Optimist. You think we're going to have to wait that long? [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.