FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Galapagos Sea Lions Massacred

Author Topic: Galapagos Sea Lions Massacred
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
How awful and senseless. It's awful for people to poach, but this is just stomach turning.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Humans can be horrid.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Well, of course I had to wonder if there was any way another animal could have done it. There are eagles that drop tortoises on rocks to break them open, and otters bash abalone with rocks. But yeah, probably some human.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

53 of them [and with no body parts removed, no evidence of being eaten on] sways me to a concerted effort by one or more humans.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, this definitely has humanity's fingerprints all over it.

I often wish that the dominant species on the planet were a sapient primate evolved from a gorilla-like ancestor rather than a chimp-like one.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Except humans usually do remove body parts. So we're dealing with an abberant human, right?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except humans usually do remove body parts. So we're dealing with an abberant human, right?
Tell that to Buffalo Bill.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:

Or at least, someone/s whose goals likely didn't include using parts of the sea lions they killed.
pooka
Member # 5003

I guess I'm comfortable not laying this crime on the doorstep of humanity in general. I mean, we have no idea who would have done it. Though I guess this is an opportunity to learn about whether any people even live on the Galapagos. Pinta Island is only 60 square Kilometers. I think whoever did this had to travel there.

Maybe it was poachers who got interrupted in their crime?

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Edited for the removal of snark]
pooka
Member # 5003

Uh, I didn't see the snark so if you want to just delete the post, you can.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
53 of them [and with no body parts removed, no evidence of being eaten on] sways me to a concerted effort by one or more humans.

This is so horrid. All the evidence suggests this was just a senseless slaughter. It seems that some person(s) just killed these sea lions for the sake of killing.

Perhaps more evidence will be found and perhaps there was some method in this madness, but right now it seems like some one out there is just enjoying slaughtering these poor animals. An example of the very worst that humans can be.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I often wish that the dominant species on the planet were a sapient primate evolved from a gorilla-like ancestor rather than a chimp-like one.

Why?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Why?
Based on the context, I suspect it's because chimps are more prone to violent behavior than gorillas.

[ January 29, 2008, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Plus, they are more awesome.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Plus, they are more awesome.

[Big Grin]

Rabbit's interpretation was more in line with what I was thinking, but this made me laugh.

anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
How very odd. What possible reason could there be for doing such an awful thing? Or is raw Sealion a delicacy now?
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Except humans usually do remove body parts."

Nope, no legal market, and little illegal market since the extreme decline in demand for seal skins by the clothing industry. However the fishing industry likes to blame the results of their overfishing on sea mammals. And the sociopaths amongst them actually believe that nonsense enough to slaughter sea mammals.

Primary impetus behind Norwegian and Japanese whaling and Canadian seal-kills: to "reduce competion" between sea mammals and commercial fishermen.
Contrary to the position advocated by their governments, there is no and never has been a traditional market beyond a few Inuits and native peoples living in similarly impoverished winter conditions. The stuff tastes just plain nasty.

[ January 29, 2008, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Or is raw Sealion a delicacy now?
It seems not since the killer didn't take any parts (raw or cooked).
pooka
Member # 5003

I'm reminded of a section of "Shackleton's journey of Endurance" on NOVA where the men survive an antarctic sea voyage in lifeboats and they make shore on... I believe it's Elephant Island, and they go crazy butchering the seals or sea lions. I don't know if I'd call it an excuse, again. Humans are sometimes crazy with a Bacchanalian blood lust, though, even otherwise disciplined groups of men.
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
link?
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I have had whale and it is not really that nasty...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by RackhamsRazor:
link?

If you're asking for a link to the story about the sea lions, the sad face in the first post is what you're looking for.
pooka
Member # 5003

I saw the A&E Shackelton as well. Are you referring to the sausage? I think it was the idea of how it was made more than the flavor.
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
oh geez...thanks [Razz]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Easy to miss if you haven't seen it before.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
In Japan , "dolphin and pilot whale...mercury levels ranging from 10 to 100 parts per million, far above the Japanese government's advisory level of 0.4 parts per million. The most contaminated sample he ever found was from the internal organs of a pilot whale sold in a Taiji supermarket - 2,000 parts per million.
Despite the extreme sensitivity to mercury poisoning in Japan...the Health and Agriculture ministries have done little to inform the public about mercury in whale and dolphin meat."

Meanwhile in Norway, PCB/etc levels in slaughtered whales are so dangerously high that their own environmental laws mandate that tons upon tons of whale blubber must be stored in warehouses until a special toxic waste incinerator is built.

[ February 27, 2008, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.