FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alcatraz to become a peace memorial?!?

Author Topic: Alcatraz to become a peace memorial?!?
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
USA Today Story

Admittedly, it's not likely to happen, but this would just be weird.

I remember that on my first trip to SF, I took the tape-guided tour of the facility and found it to be intriguing. I think it'd be a shame to see a place with that kind of history be removed.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it would be able to happen. It's part of the National Park Service, isn't it?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, the article quotes somebody who made it clear that changing the prison to something else would require an act of congress.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember riding the ferry from San Francisco to Sausalito, just before dusk through medium fog.

The ferry must pass no more than 200-300 yards from the island, and I must say at the time it was one of the creepiest, foreboding things I've ever seen in my life. Scared everyone on board.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The prison was closed in 1963. Today, with 1.4 million visitors a year, it is second only to San Francisco's cable cars as the city's most popular paid visitor attraction, Weideman says. "It's just such an iconic symbol in America," Weideman says. "People don't realize what a place in our society that Alcatraz " holds.
That sounds like a great idea. Let's get rid of the second most visited attraction in the city and put in a hippy farm.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

It is an unbelievably creepy place. I think it is a good reminder of what human beings, and Americans in particular, can become of we don't honor hope and love and all that. I went there in 1991 when I was newly married. Strangely, the part that freaked me out the most was the fake heads used in one escape attempt. I used to dislike my memories of it quite a bit.

I'm not really sure what I thought of the film "Murder in the First". It made it sound like closing Alcatraz magically solved certain problems, but I'm skeptical of that. It was a very personally involving movie.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I went several times as a child. I loved hearing about the escape (we usually did the self-guided tours.)

I thought it was cool when the Mythbusters re-enacted the escape and found that the searchers may have looked in the wrong place-- and the escapees may not have been eaten by sharks.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Yea, the article quotes somebody who made it clear that changing the prison to something else would require an act of congress.

Even if we San Franciscans voted to try and buy it, which we won't, the government would have to sell it, which they wont. And even if we got it, we wouldn't tear down the prison anyway. Every schoolchild on the peninsula has spent a day there.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat idea.

But not for Alcatraz.

Non-starter, like a lot of other neat sounding but fruitless in the end ideas, it won't happen. I like the idea of a dedicated peace center. But find a different place for it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"we wouldn't tear down the prison anyway. Every schoolchild on the peninsula has spent a day there."

Why not? They all escaped.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Every schoolchild on the peninsula has spent a day there.
Sorry... what? What exactly do you mean by that?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Field trips?
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just kids on the peninsula. Almost every school in the Bay Area sends kids on a field trip to the Rock, at some point or another. It's a really interesting place, full of history. I definitely want to go back home and see it again, now that I'm all grown up.

This whole proposal disgusts me. I'm glad the likelihood of it coming to fruition is nil.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

There's a potential difference between a field trip walk-thru of Alcatraz and "spending a day" there. Just wanted to be sure it's what I thought.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
True, minimum time in prison is s'poseta be a year. Talk about lax security.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, let's knock over Coit Tower while we're at it! And who needs that big, ugly red bridge? It causes ships to crash and leak oil into the bay (estuary). Let's put in a chunnel instead!

I'm so happy that, even in a place as batship crazy as San Francisco, a proposal to get rid of a world renowned historical location failed.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

It feels like a day, I'm not sure how long it actually takes.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Every schoolchild on the peninsula has spent a day there.
Sorry... what? What exactly do you mean by that?
I think it's a reeducation camp now.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.