FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Medical question...and yes, I have a doctor's appointment.

Author Topic: Medical question...and yes, I have a doctor's appointment.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to go to the ER on Monday for what turned out to be a severe kidney infection. It went untreated for at least five days before that, probably more just because I've never had one before and wasn't sure what to make of the symptoms...for a little while, I thought I might have mono or something.

Anyways, the ER doctor gave me 7 days' worth of bactrim and these big phenaopyridine (spelled something like that) pills to numb up my urinary system or something.

The thing is, I've slept something like 18 hours a day all week, and my back, sides, and stomach still hurt a lot when I don't take the phena-whatevers on time. I have an appointment to see my regular urologist on Monday...but shouldn't I be feeling better by now? The ER guy said it should only take a few days...and yet I'm still eating only bland foods and having trouble finding sitting/lying down positions that don't cause major pain. I mean, I guess I feel a little better, but I can't tell if it's from the phena-whatever or if I'm actually getting better.

Also, is it better for me to take hot or cold baths?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
No advice here, pH, but I hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Not all infections are susceptible to all antibiotics. You could have a resistant organism. I assume they did a urine culture and sensitivity. That ought to let them know if you are taking the right medicine.

But, yeah, you definitely ought to be feeling better by now. I'm glad you are following up with the doctor. Is your appointment today?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I couldn't get an appointment with her until Monday.

I don't think they would have had time for a culture while I was there - I only spent 2.5 hours at the hospital (which I find amazing!). My regular urologist gave up on using Bactrim on me for UTIs...I take something called Noroxin instead. But I kinda didn't want to second-guess the ER doc, and I read that kidney infection bacteria are usually different from UTI bacteria.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably wouldn't have had results from a culture before you left the ER but they should have taken one. Is it possible for you to contact the doctor who saw you in the ER and ask if the test has been done.

If they didn't do a culture to determine whether you've got a resistant strain, they need to particularly since you don't seem to be responding to antibiotics. These kind of culture usually takes at least 24 hours so get it done as soon as possible. Call your regular doctor. Even if he can't see you until Monday, you might be able to go in and get the labs started today. If his office can't start the labs today, you might want to go back to the ER just to get the process rolling.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Update from my cell phone:

Good thing I went to urgent care today. The doctor sent me to the hospital for a cat scan, and on top of the infection, I have 2 kidney stones. one for each kidney. one of them is apparently huge. they admitted me on the spot. I can't eat or drink. I'm on iv fluids, antibiotics, demerol, and some pills. Can't sleep though, and the nurse came in and said my blood pressure is like 95 over 56.

Send prayers and good wishes please.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! On the bright side, they know what's wrong now and can fix it.

Feel better soon!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

(((pH)))

I'm no medical expert, but my guess would be to take warm baths... don't quote me on that. Just feel better.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying for you.

It was smart of you not to wait until Monday. Now that you are in the hospital, I'm sure that they'll get you fixed up soon. Kidney stones **really** hurt and tend to make one feel nauseated, though.

I'm not a doctor, but based on past experience your blood pressure will probably go back to normal as a result of the IV fluid treatment.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! One stone is bad enough, 2 must be awful. I hope they come out ok and you feel better.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry! Good for you for going and getting it treated. I'm praying for pain relief and resolution of the kidney stones soon. I also hope you can get some sleep. [Frown]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck pH, I'm glad you are getting the treatment you need right now. Hopefully your renal system will normalize soon. [Smile]

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Thanks so much, all of you!

Doctor said I have a 50% chance of passing the smaller stone, so my parents and I decided I would spend today in the hospital for today, and if it doesn't pass by tomorrow, I have to go under general anaesthesia for some thing that ends in "scopy" to have it removed.

I'm confident in my doctor's abilities, and she would be doing the 'scopy herself, but I'd much rather avoid anything resembling surgery.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy! Good luck with it, and I wish for you a speedy and complete recovery.

Stupid kidneys! Stupid infection! Stupid stones!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully it won't be necessary, but it really is barely surgery and the recovery for someone young and in general good health (like you [Smile] ) is pretty short.

Either way, feel better quick!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched a friend go through kidney stones. Ick. Best of luck and all good wishes, pH.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean you've watched kidney stones go through a friend? [Wink]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Pearce called me this morning to tell me she was about to undergo surgery for her kidney stones. She wanted me to let everyone know.

<prayers, best wishes, and <<<<hugs>>>>>

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Don't you mean you've watched kidney stones go through a friend? [Wink]

Fortunately, I was spared that particular moment of the process. [Eek!]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

update:

They did the procedure...and didn't find any stones at all. so two additional doctors are trying to figure out what's wrong.

i feel like im trapped in an episode of house.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Only without the hot doctor. O_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
(((pH))) Hope you're feeling better soon!

mackillian - Which doctor on House do you consider the hot doctor?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

update:

They did the procedure...and didn't find any stones at all. so two additional doctors are trying to figure out what's wrong.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
update:

That sucks. Good luck!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Another update:

They said there is no way I'm going to be discharged today. Today is more tests and such. The stint she placed all the way up to my kidney is beyond painful right now.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Press the little button on your morphine pump!

If you don't have a morphine pump, press the little button to call the nurse and ask him or her to give you some pain medicine.

You ought not to be having so much pain in the hospital.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Get well really soon.

I have no medical expertise, so it probably ain't gonna help much...
...but the nay on kidney stones made me think of kidney pain from rhubarb, vitamin c, or ethylene glycol overdoses.
That they expected to find kidney stones from imaging but didn't made me think that perhaps the image was calcium oxalate dispersed through the tissue.
So I looked up "kidney pain" "ethylene glycol" and came up with oxalosis. The precursor "acquired hyperoxaluria occurs when a person ingests an unusually large amount of oxalate such as rhubarb or another substance that is converted to oxalate by the liver. These substances include ethylene glycol (antifreeze) or vitamin C in doses in excess of 4 grams per day. Pyridoxine or thiamine deficiency can also cause acquired hyperoxaluria."
Also there are several drug interactions which can cause kidney pain, including some antibiotics.
Might mention it to your physicians.

I first got interested from reading news that some shady winemakers add ethylene glycol to their cheapest wines to make them sweeter, more full-bodied, and have a more intoxicating kick. Unfortunately those wines also poisoned a few people enough so that they had to be hospitalized.....with kidney pains and a few other symptoms.

Anyway like I said, I have no idea whether oxalosis is relevant to your case.
And hope ya get fixed up real fast with minimal pain and minimal damage.

[ February 11, 2008, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Well, they"re going to be giving me demerol and phenergan every two hours after the adventures of last night,highlighted by my boyfriend having to call the nurse to help him get me out of the bathroom, where I was writhing in pain on the floor. 'My body is not so pleased with the stint in my ureter.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you're having to go through all of this, pH.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate just had a kidney stone, and she said the stint was the worst part of all, and that it didn't help her. They ended up zapping the stone, and she was fine... but if you don't have any, I guess that won't work. [Frown] Good luck finding whatever the problem is soon! (((pH)))

And the hot doctor is, of course, Hugh Laurie. How could anyone even ask.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaackkk! [Angst]

My prayers are with you.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking of you all weekend. Good for you for taking care of yourself by going to the hospital!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you...

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I wanna go home, not nobbody knows how much long I will have tobe here, I know that they will remove the stint before I go...iss tis that done under general anaesthesia llike when they put it in?
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends, but usually.

(((Pearce)))

Hope you get to go home soon.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Demerol? How are you feeling with that?
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow (((((pH)))))

I hope you feel a lot better real soon.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I'm getting the stint removed tomorrow morning.

I'm kind of nervous, and the doctor implied that I'd be awake during it. Anyways. Wish me luck!

-pH

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

Generally removing things is less difficult and painful than putting them in. They'll probably give you a sedative to relax you, and numb the area.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Good luck! You sure sound better! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.