FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Question of No Real Importance: Sweater Vests

Author Topic: A Question of No Real Importance: Sweater Vests
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the appeal of sweater-vests, or any other type of insulating vest.

When I'm cold, it's invariably my extremities that are cold, not my torso. A sweater vest would not help.

Or are they merely decorative?

Why do you wear sweater/fleece/puffy vests?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
The director of bands up at my university used to make fun of the department head whenever he wore a sweater vest. "I guess we broke the department budget, and you couldn't afford sleeves."

But now HE wears sweater vests all the time. Creepy.

Oh, and when I was growing up my grandpa would always get me sweater vests. I don't think I ever wore a single one of them, and had a stash of about five of varying sizes at one point in time.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way about scarves and pants. Merely Decorative.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Often your extremities feel cold because your body reduces circulation to them when it senses a drop in core temperature.

For many people, wearing an insulated vest is a better way to keep their hands and feet warm than wearing mittens and insulated boots.

Not everyones body works this way but many do.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel warmer when my hands are warm and my torso is warm. under those circumstances, I don't care about my arms - it feels good anyway.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I will sometimes wear some type of vest when playing golf. It helps to keep me warm or dry while being less restrictive to my arms.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally wear sweater vests when I don't anticipate being so cold that I want a full sweater, but I want something. I also sometimes wear a jacket in the same circumstances (which covers much the same area of a full sweater but is more easily removed).

I will also sometimes wear a specific sweater vest over a sweater if I think the choice makes my outfit more interesting, sacrificing added warmth for a particular aesthetic effect.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but you're supposed to wear silly clothes for that sport. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I've worn down jackets w/o sleeves. They go *inside* another coat, to give it substance.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, do you wear arm warmers?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
when my hands are cold, I throw on a heavy sweat-shirt.

In no-time, my hands are warm again. The best way to warm your extremities is to warm your core.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

When I'm chilly, I put on a flannel shirt.

When I'm cold I also put on a coat.

Why would you want a give a coat "substance"?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Often your extremities feel cold because your body reduces circulation to them when it senses a drop in core temperature.

For many people, wearing an insulated vest is a better way to keep their hands and feet warm than wearing mittens and insulated boots.

Not everyones body works this way but many do.

Yup.

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I feel warmer when my hands are warm and my torso is warm. under those circumstances, I don't care about my arms - it feels good anyway.

Exactly.

Porter, you're tall and gangly. Your extremities are far away from your trunk, so it makes sense that heating your trunk to warm your extremities would be less efficient that for some of us. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Porter, you're tall and gangly.
Well, not so much anymore. [Smile]

quote:
Your extremities are far away from your trunk, so it makes sense that heating your trunk to warm your extremities would be less efficient that for some of us.
Huh. That does make sense.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I feel the same way about scarves and pants. Merely Decorative.

I used to think scarves were merely decorative until I got one for Christmas and wore it on a trip to Canada. Now I wear it all the time, because I find it really does help.

And why on earth do you say that pants are merely decorative? [Angst]

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband's tall and gangly, and insulated vests (sweaters, fleece, down, etc) work much better for him than a full coat.

In his case I'm sure its not for the looks. He has less than zero fashion sense.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
My husbands tall and gangly and fleece...
I think you forgot a comma in there. [Wink]
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I am seriously considering acquiring a sweater vest or two.

I have a sports coat at work, but it often isn't warm enough and it doesn't provide an extra layer under my winter coat for the trip home.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Rabbit, I was mostly kidding.

Porter, my condolences on your shrinking.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
I have a sports coat at work, but it often isn't warm enough and it doesn't provide an extra layer under my winter coat for the trip home.
The traditional European style suit coat that covers your arms but not your chest is the fashion my husband finds hardest to understand.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Porter, my condolences on your shrinking."

My guess is that Porter is drinking a lot of goat milk. A little-known fact about goat milk is that it is very fattening. Literally, as I type this, I am drinking a Mason jar about 3/4 full of fresh raw goat milk, and it is tasty.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I'm guessing he's had the opposite problem.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

I'm guessing he's had the opposite problem.
I'm going to have to side with rivka. MPH clearly said that he was no longer tall and gangly. Since both tall and gangling refer to height and length of limbs, its only natural to assume that he is shrinking.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Liberal use of parentheses in this case would avoid these order of operations errors, and make our code easier to read.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

So is it

~(mph==tall&mph==gangly)

or (mph~=tall&mph~=gangly)

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
When I'm chilly, I put on a flannel shirt.

When I'm cold I also put on a coat.

Why would you want a give a coat "substance"?

What do you think the flannel shirt does? Provide plucky comic relief?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It covers my arms.

And if I button it up, my torso as well.

And it's nice and soft.

And it goes well with my beard.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have long considered knitting myself arm-warmers for running and biking. Sure, I'd look kinda dumb, but I've never really gotten into the "running as fashion statement" thing. I run, I get sweaty and dishevelled. No amount of sleek clothing is going to improve that much, so I may as well be warm.

I myself do enjoy a nice buttonless sweater-vest over a dress shirt. It looks good on me. I've no opinion on it on guys.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Arm warmers are great for running and biking. The leg warmers are great for biking but don't stay up well when running.

One of the great things about them is the flexibility. I need alot more clothes when I'm coming down hill on a bike than I do going up hill. Arm warms with vest make it easy to adjust for all kinds of conditions.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Flexibility is good. If I could afford it, I would have 4 different pairs of commute shoes/boots, 3 different pairs of gloves and 5 different coats and jackets for all the various combinations of cold air, wind and precipitation you get in Minnesota.

As it is, for my commute I carry a wool hat, a balaclava and have a hood on my coat. And I'm thinking of adding my scarf to the mix as well. It's amazing how covering different parts of my neck, head and face with different thicknesses can greatly change my comfort (or discomfort) levels as I move between the outdoors in different locations and different buses with different heating levels.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It covers my arms.

And it's nice and soft.

And it gives your coat substance.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
So is it

~(mph==tall&mph==gangly)

That would be so awesome if we wrote like that.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess sweater vests can be done right but they are one of those things that rarely ever are.

When I think about sweater vests I think about dumpy schoolteachers who also wear terrible jackets with leather elbows.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That explains it. You use your beard to keep your upper body cavity warm. (I am assuming a long and full waste length beard here) Some less facially adorned individuals need extra clothing.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am assuming a long and full waste length beard here."

That wouldn't work since Porter's hobby is carpentry. I have a Mennonite carpenter friend who used to have such a facial adornment that you can see in old pictures. Since becoming a carpenter he's had to scale back the beard's full grandeur.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed vests didn't really help much for warmth. Then I tried one on. After about twenty minutes I was boiling and had to take it off. Vests work.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It covers my arms.

And it's nice and soft.

I find the first three to be true for me as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
So is it

~(mph==tall&mph==gangly)

That would be so awesome if we wrote like that.
>_<

No. No, it really wouldn't.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.