FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any home video soundtrack suggestions?

Author Topic: Any home video soundtrack suggestions?
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to compile a slideshow DVD of pics from my daughter's first year. I'd like to find a really awesome song to put in the background but I'm having trouble thinking of something appropriate. So far all I've come up with is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Do you have any better ideas (maybe something more upbeat?)

Also, I want to do a slideshow for my grandmother using old black and white family photos from her childhood and so on. Any suggestions for something like that?

I don't have a huge CD collection so I will probably download whatever I decide on from itunes.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I used Aselin Debison's Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World in a slideshow and it worked well. It blends the lyrics of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow with "What a Wonderful World."
It even has the lines
"I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
they'll learn much more than we'll know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world" so it could be a good fit for a baby picture slideshow.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say use something instrumental and subdued. You don't want people paying too much attention to the music.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

Thanks Morbo! I remember hearing that version of the song and liking it, but had no idea who sang it.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

Thanks for the tip MPH. I may do that with the video for my grandmother.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nightwish.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I also like Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful Word with ukelele.

My wife gets depressed when she hears it, though, since it's always played at the funeral's of her Hawaiian relatives...

edit: you also can't beat the Louis Armstrong recording of "Wonderful World".

Whatever you do, don't use the one the Kenny G version in which he plays his "lame-***, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, ****ed up" saxophone licks over Louis' original recording. (Warning: link contains some language, obviously, but it also has the wonderful phrase 'musical necrophilia', which makes the whole thing worth it.)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Classical Gas played on the guitar by Eric Clapton comes to mind if you just want instrumental.

I don't know if you can find it, but if you want something with words, "Angel's Lullaby" by Reba Macintyre is a great song. If this is the sort of thing you had in mind, I think it's a great song.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Megadeth.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest Dillinger Escape Plan, but Megadeath works well too.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Classical Gas played on the guitar by Eric Clapton comes to mind if you just want instrumental.

Eric Clapton did that, too? Gotta look that one up...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife used Bobby McFerrin's "Baby Baby"; that worked well.

Also used Phil Collins' "Son of Man" from the Tarzan soundtrack (well, our child is a girl, but it didn't stop us. [Smile] )

Dave Matthews' Band's "So Much To Say"- one of the rare popular songs where "little baby" actually refers to, well, a little baby.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

Cool...I've got some music to look up. I think Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World is actually the one that I remember hearing. Some of these suggestions will be great for future projects I have in mind! Thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.