FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What would you buy if you went to Europe?

Author Topic: What would you buy if you went to Europe?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend in Ireland right now, and another friend going to visit her, and she just emailed me to say that if I wanted anything she'd pick it up for me. They are going to Glasgow, Barcelona, Rome, and Dublin. And I really can't think of anything specific to those places that I'd want that she could bring back for me. I asked her to try and find me a specific kind of champagne that's harder to get around here, but, other than that I'm drawing a blank. World trade has really made it hard to make shopping overseas fun and unique, you know, when you aren't actually going.

So, any ideas? What would you want someone to bring you back?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of pictures.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of friend who simply pick up a rock when they travel. That way you can always have a piece of Ireland (or where every you happen to be) with you.

Steve

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'll get pictures whether I want them or not. [Smile] My friend is a notorious shutterbug.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Steal some road signs. Then you can compare them to our superior American road signs.

You could put an american 'STOP' sign next to a british 'do pardon me but might I suggest a temporary cessation of forward movement, if you are hopefully so inclined' sign.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The head of Colin Farrell on a silver platter, still attached to the rest of him below the silver platter.

If they're going to Italy--good cheap wines, and ask 'em to see if they can smuggle a couple mozzarellas through Customs.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of good rocks in Ireland. I have several. They sell bits of Conamara marble in gift stores. It is lovely.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A vintage Pucci scarf from a thriftstore. (You'd look dashing! [Wink] )
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Steal some road signs. Then you can compare them to our superior American road signs.

You could put an american 'STOP' sign next to a british 'do pardon me but might I suggest a temporary cessation of forward movement, if you are hopefully so inclined' sign.

*giggle*

You should ask her for the same type of memento from each place... then you can start a collection. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Euros.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Excalibur.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hedgehog figurines.
Unless you don't collect them (who doesn't?)

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
When we honeymooned in Ireland, we brought back a bodhran and a sheep. The best possible souvenir from Rome is, without question, the Popener.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"we brought back a...sheep."

A ceramic sheep figurine? I have a hard time imagining you getting a live sheep through customs. [ROFL]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
When we honeymooned in Ireland, we brought back a bodhran and a sheep. The best possible souvenir from Rome is, without question, the Popener.

I got a scarf from Ireland, but the Popener was BY FAR the coolest thing anyone's ever brought me from overseas. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I second chocolate, definitely - from Scotland or Ireland. It tastes very different from American.
They have gorgeous stationary shops in Italy, with handmade-paper notebooks, glass pens and scented inks in thousands of colours - if you like that sort of thing.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Scented inks? Are those sold only to tourists, or do the locals buy them too?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss brought me back chocolates filled with 12-year Scotch after a trip to Edinburgh. Another trip to Ireland netted me a small Waterford dish that I use for jewelry. He hasn't been to Spain or Italy while I've been working for him.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, if I went to Ireland/the UK/Great Britain I would be working on brining home a sheep. I think I'd skip the Pucci
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"I would be working on brining home a sheep."

You would...preserve a sheep in salt water?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that can hurt the follicles, so more likely a vinegar solution.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I has a follicle. [ROFL]
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Fake Prada bags. You can also get them in any given Chinatown, but I'm bringing a ton of them back from Italy. That's not loving hard -- that's loving smart.

Also, if they have Sainsbury's in Ireland (it's a British supermarket chain), ask her to bring back chocolate-coated cornflake clusters. They sound absolutely bizarre, but they're honestly just about the best food I've ever had.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
They sell those in the little kosher grocery around the corner from me. Some Israeli brand.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Klik, probably.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
A small wooden box with a unique design on it. I have always loved wooden boxes with carvings on them. Plus, it is nice enough to display and fun/easy to store jewelry or little trinkets inside.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Some great ideas.

CT - What's a Pucci scarf?

Dan - I already asked for that, but they had to scratch the day they were spending in Avalon. I wouldn't mind a French rapier or a scottish broadsword.

Tom/Carrie - What's a Popener?

I couldn't think of any kind of liquor that they could get me over there that I couldn't just get here, with the exception of some kinds of Champagne that are harder to find around here. I want a doux.

My mom suggested Irish linen, but I don't know why it's so special.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Vintage 60s psychadelic print fabric, very high quality silk, genuine collector's items. The brand still exists, but it is the vintage work that I know is collectible (can't vouche for the rest).

Not to my taste -- I was mostly joking.

Wikipedia on Emilio Pucci

---

Edited to add: IIRC, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis wore Pucci.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

lol. Gotcha.

Not really to my taste either. It's not nearly worth the razzing I'd get from my friends and brother over it. [Smile]

Any idea off the top of your head of what clothing they might have over there that would be hard to get here that I might be interested in?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Irish or Scottish wool product? (e.g, sweater)

I believe Irish linen is controlled by guild to ensure quality.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm hesitant to get wool. My skin has a bad reaction to wool unless I wear a thick longs leeve turtleneck underneath to totally shield me from it. And I don't like turtlenecks.

Oo, maybe I'll take a look at the linen then. I'll feel a bit like a girl looking up linen, but I have growing interest in aquiring unique items that could be potential heirlooms.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Keep an eye out for vintage Pucci, then, as well. Hey, a stylish Euro-chic girlfriend would appreciate it.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I was in Paris (december) I bought wonderful leather shoes from a boutique. Shoes are fantastic in paris and Rome.

You might like a florentine leather notebook or diary, or a jacket from italy with calfskin or leather.

The shoes would be something to think about- just give your friend actual measurements of your foot, not sizes. The sizes are supposedly standard, but are different effectively for every company and in every country. Also, the french and italians will usually tell you to buy a shoe that is quite snug at first, and will break in wonderfully in a few weeks, which is why their shoes do fit so well.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
A broadsword? You want your friends to schlep around a broadsword for you on their travels? I don't even think that would fit in a suitcase.

By the time they return home, they'd hate you.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Tom/Carrie - What's a Popener?

It is this. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, that certainly brings a new meaning to "churchkey"!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would spend waaay too much money on cute kid clothes. But that probably doesn't interest you. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
A broadsword? You want your friends to schlep around a broadsword for you on their travels? I don't even think that would fit in a suitcase.

By the time they return home, they'd hate you.

Yeah but, I'll have a broadsword. They'll love me or suffer the consequences!
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
They'll love me or suffer the consequences!

You falling over? Those suckers are HEAVY.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There could be ill effects for them from the thud I make when I hit the ground.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.