FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Improv Everywhere

Author Topic: Improv Everywhere
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else heard of this group? Basically, it's a (very large) group of random people who occasionally meet up in NYC to create fun scenes. I'm a particular fan of Frozen Grand Central, where they got about 200 people to stand perfectly still at the same moment for five minutes. Other great acts include Best Buy and Cell Phone Symphony.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard of the Best Buy prank from a friend at work that loves IE. Pretty amusing.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these guys. It's a shame they didn't get the TV series.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about these guys as a result of a recent No Pants Day being run in various cities including Chicago. People were getting on CTA trains and taking off their pants (they were wearing modest underthings) and acting as if there was absolutely nothing unusual and no "event" or organization involved.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about them from a friend about their Freeze Grand Central one. The video from their slow motion/freeze home depot is awesome also. they have it sped up so their people look to be moving at the correct speed but everyone else is zipping by.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Best Buy one was a good gag. I think I linked Mp3 Experiment Four in the YouTube thread awhile ago. They are really taking street theatre to whole new level. I love the varied reactions of the "audience": confusion, amusement, belligerence, etc.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I really loved the home depot one. Best gig ever was awesome. I really like the taxi cab lovers reunited one too. The U2 rooftop concert was great as well. Come to think of it, they're all cool.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never come across these folks before. I've been reading their mission reports for hours now. Awesome stuff!
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Mobius Strip is pretty great too.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

The Great Trafalgar Square Freeze Good editing--I like the part where they partially superimpose unfrozen people wandering ghostlike through the frozen people.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about these guys a few months ago on NPR. They were talking about their project: The Moebius where they created a time warp in a Starbucks. It was awesome!
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Improv Everywhere just posted their best prank ever. It really made me smile. [Big Grin]

They picked a random Little League game and made it into a faux-Major League event.

*possible SPOILERS*

This was very elaborate: they had a Jumbotron, food vendors, fans, programs, mascots, NBC announcer Jim Gray, press conferences and the Goodyear blimp.

[ April 09, 2008, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the musical the best. I about fell over laughing watching that one.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.