FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lifesize cutout of David Tennant needed

Author Topic: Lifesize cutout of David Tennant needed
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend with a birthday coming up, and she loves Doctor Who. I thought "how nice would it be to decorate for her birthday?"

And so I need a lifesize cutout of David Tennant - purely for altruistic reasons, of course. [Smile] Any ideas?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd reccommend a cake with a photo printing. Those things are pretty creepy. I mean, on the one hand you're cutting him up. On the other hand, you get to lick him off your fingers.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

OH.....that is a very, very good idea.

I found several cutouts, but I don't like the picture and they'd all be close to $100 because of the shipping and the exchange rate.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access to a large color printer, you could make your own. Print out the photo you like and glue it onto cardboard.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dang it, I could do it if I were still at the BSA.

Let me see if Kinko's has anything like that.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I have nothing constructive to add - just glee. [Smile]

(Also, I like the cake idea.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'd reccommend a cake with a photo printing. Those things are pretty creepy. I mean, on the one hand you're cutting him up. On the other hand, you get to lick him off your fingers.

They sell those in the supermarket here! For 3 pounds! David Tennant as the Doctor, stepping out of the TARDIS. You can also get "make your own Dalek cookies" kits. It's hilarious and I just need an excuse to buy said cake.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You people are weird.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
You can also get "make your own Dalek cookies" kits. It's hilarious and I just need an excuse to buy said cake.

The day of the week ends in 'y'? [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very hopeful that the Valentines day present my husband is getting me is Dr. Who DVD's.

But maybe he's getting me a CB radio. Dang, that was the one thing he wanted for Christmas and I forgot again, and bought him a watch (since his broke).

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
quote:
You can also get "make your own Dalek cookies" kits. It's hilarious and I just need an excuse to buy said cake.

The day of the week ends in 'y'? [Wink]
It's a lot of cake for one person. Maybe I'll get one to celebrate when the new season starts airing.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe when I visit. Is it too much cake for two people? And I think someone else from hatrack will be there too.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could help, but someone said something about licking David Tennant and I lost my train of thought...

Oh, yeah! Have you tried whatever your local equivalent of the geeky geegaw store? (The closest thing I can think of around here is The Junkman's Daughter's Brother.) Maybe one of them has a cut-out for a display of DVDs or something. If he's a little bent they might sell him to you at a discount. Or who knows, blink those big ol' eyes a few times and they might just let you have him.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Or maybe when I visit. Is it too much cake for two people? And I think someone else from hatrack will be there too.

I never said it was TOO much. I just said it's a lot. I'm sure if I wanted to gain 15 pounds I could happily eat cake for three days in a row, but I'm trying to show some self-restraint. My memory (not always reliable) is saying the cake is roughly the size of a standard piece of paper, and 2 inches thick.
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but by standard to you mean 8.5"x11" or A4?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

You would not believe the Doctow Who kitsch here. Today in Marks and Spencer I found talking Dalek and talking TARDIS easter eggs. You know, the big ones that are hollow in the middle? Only these ones bellow EXTERMINATE! at you before you eat them.

Truly, these Britons are crazy.

katharina
Member # 827

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard.
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Doctor Who is a more of a children's program there, right? They'd probably have more cool stuff here in the US if more kids watched it. I'm thinking the viewers on this side of the pond are mostly adults. I could be wrong.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

That is... surprisingly cool. The more I think about a talking Dalek easter egg, the more I love the idea. [Big Grin]
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You would not believe the Doctow Who kitsch here. Today in Marks and Spencer I found talking Dalek and talking TARDIS easter eggs. You know, the big ones that are hollow in the middle? Only these ones bellow EXTERMINATE! at you before you eat them.

Truly, these Britons are crazy.

Dang, I thought I was cool with my Talking Dalek Bottle Opener that arrived in the mail the other day.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

So what you folks are saying is I need to actually buy this stuff so I can post photos, right? Then it counts as service to humanity, right?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh surely. But to truly serve others, you'd buy enough for the rest of us, too. [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
...OK, so "weird" wasn't the right word for you all...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
Oh surely. But to truly serve others, you'd buy enough for the rest of us, too. [Smile]

This is true. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
...OK, so "weird" wasn't the right word for you all...

I'm sorry, but what is it you do again?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Hey, anyone comes to visit, I'll make sure there's lots of sugary David Tennant to go around. I imagine Dalek easter eggs are seasonal, though, so you'd better be quick about it. Chop chop!
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there in August (if all goes well). So, you promise sugary David Tennant?
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would I be out of place to suggest the consideration of a lifesize replica of Tom Baker*? Or would that cross the lines of decency?

*Truly the Master of Dr. Who - if that's not a pun too far.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing about Tom Baker that makes me think a lifesize replica needs to exist.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The hair! The eyes! The Scarf! That Smile!

And of course the Sonic Screwdriver...

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Blech. No. You, however, are welcome to build all the shrines you want.

More Tennant for me.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
There is absolutely nothing about Tom Baker that makes me think a lifesize replica needs to exist.

You forget Douglas Adams' writing!

<3<3<3 Tom Baker's Doctor <3<3<3

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Wouldn't that be better served by a lifesize cutout of Douglas Adams?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I'd like to report an update on the Doctor Who Kitsch situation.

Marks & Spencer also carries boxes of chocolate DW suckers, and chocolate Dalek cakes.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DW suckers

QFT
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I just googled Doctor Who on M&S's website, looking for a picture of those Dalek birthday cakes.

I found underwear instead. Unfortunately, it's only for little boys... I think they may be missing their market there.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a picture of David Tennant as my desktop background - from the BBC website.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who like him as The Doctor. However, all the yearning for him is starting to make me question my sexuality, so...

*leaves thread*

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tennant is my background on my computers. I love the BBC's website.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get your own sonic screwdriver at thinkgeek.com.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

Narnia got me one of those for Christmas. *beams* It's the pen on my desk at home, and I pulled it out for a birthday party a few weeks ago.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet they could make you one. Depending on how much you want to spend, of course.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/eaquaelegit/Funny/DalekEgg.jpg

Who knew Daleks were oviparous?

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
katharine -- so did the party happen? if yes, how'd it go?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yep, the party happened. [Smile]

I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the birthday girls was in a car accident that morning and almost didn't come, but everyone came and we had cake and yummy lasagna and salad with pears in it. I invited my neighbor and she went home and watched the entire first season on the Netflix site in the next 24 hours, which she was a little bit embarrassed about later.

It tentatively looks like I'll be able to go to London in August to see David Tennant at the Globe... not for certain yet, and I haven't bought a plane ticket and let's hope my car doesn't die, but I think I'll be able to. [Smile] Yay! EL, we have to hook up and you can introduce me to David Tennant dipped in sugar.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

[Smile] Which show, do you know yet?
katharina
Member # 827

I don't...the 23rd, I think? Kama knows. [Smile] THere is also a possibility I might go to two, but that depends on if a different friend can go who wants to come a week earlier.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Cool! I'm there on the 11th.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Doctor Who kitch update!

The TARDIS cake (with concrete icing)

Dalek cookies

Dalek Easter mug

katharina
Member # 827

That cake is amazing. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.