FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stephen King (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stephen King
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never read a Stephen King book. Lately I've been in the mood for a mystery/thriller. My mom gave me a John Grisham book, The Street Lawyer, which was pretty good, but from what I hear Stephen King is the master of thrillers. So what are some of his best books? I'm looking for just a good page-turner. I'm all burned out on deep, philisophical stories that make me think too much [Wink] . Any reccommendations?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest:

- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

- Misery

- The Long Walk (under the pseudonym Richard Bachman)

- The Shining

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

- The Shining

This especially.

Early King > the rest.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Another one that's good by him (but also really long) is IT.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order:

The Shining
IT
The Dead Zone
Misery
The Bachman Books
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew
The Talisman
Desperation
The Eyes of the Dragon
Carrie
'Salem's Lot
The Stand
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Needful Things is also pretty good.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand is one of my all-time favorite books.

I also really liked Bag of Bones.

I DIDN'T really like Carrie, but boy, I sure couldn't put it down...so that may be the kind of thing you're looking for.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
In no particular order:

The Shining
IT
The Dead Zone
Misery
The Bachman Books
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew
The Talisman
Desperation
The Eyes of the Dragon
Carrie
'Salem's Lot
The Stand
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla

All of that plus Christine and The Green Mile.

By the way, you're not allowed to simply title a thread "Stephen King" like that. I thought he was dead or something.

[ February 11, 2008, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Dead Zone is quite good. It has a rich story, but there's some adolescent sexuality that may be distasteful to some. The Stand is also quite good, but that's a lot of pages for your page-turner.

I like Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis, but in many ways they aren't "thrillers" in the usual sense.

Cell was "meh". Couldn't finish Lisey's Story; I recommend avoiding it.

Some of King's best work is in his short stories; I'd recommend any of the short story/novella collections.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Green Mile, Delores Claiborn, The Dark Half the best.
He also has that collection of short stories. Shawshank the movie is better than the book I think. Apt Pupil was CREEPY as HELL, but if you like that sort of thing..
Stand by Me was really, really good as a story.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Surprised no one has mentioned the Everything's Eventual collection yet.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes! The Dark Half was excellent.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The Long Walk was great. The Stand is my favorite, but it is long. IT scared the crap out of me. That's what I get for reading while I was babysitting at night.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

That's alot of recommendations. I think I'll start with The Stand, everyone seems to like that one. Thanks.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Then read Misery.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm adding my recommendation to "The Dark Half" and "Misery." Both kept me reading through the night and straight on til dawn. And if "Skeleton Crew" is a book of short stories, then I recommend that as well. It was the first thing from Stephen King that I read on my own (my dad used to read from them when I was young.)

"Cell" wasn't anything special and the last third is just a huge letdown. He managed to make zombies boring and practically nonthreatening.

And I got a cheap copy of "Tommyknockers" at a book fair about a year ago and I just can't get past the few chapters. Probably a good read if I was laid up in the hospital, but hard to get started in with life's other distractions.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought The Talisman (cowritten with Peter Straub) was his best.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

The Talisman was good, but I thought Black House, the sequel, was rather disappointing. I did like the philosophy major bike gang, though.

I did mention the short story collections, Puffy, though not by name, partly because I have trouble remembering all of them. Skeleton Crew, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Everything's Eventual... There may be others I'm forgetting.

Oh, and Danse Macabre, a collection of King interviews, is pretty entertaining- though, again, it's not in and of itself a thriller.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find a copy of 'Rage', written as Richard Bachman, snatch it, as it's out of print, and a great book.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if I have the timing correct, but I would say everything before Bag of Bones and nothing after. He went from really good popular author to wordy literate at the cost of story. The only book that is the exception to the rule is his short story collections and On Writing.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kanelock
Member # 10982

- posted      Profile for kanelock           Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend The Dark Tower series. It is such a great story, although the first book is the hardest to read. Wizard and Glass was the one that i just could not put down, it just draws you in so well.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I found the last of the Towers somewhat disappointing. But given the scope of the series, perhaps that was inevitable.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
You and pretty much everyone else, Sterling.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
The Talisman was good, but I thought Black House, the sequel, was rather disappointing.

I found it more than disappointing. I can't even think of it as a real sequel. That's not Traveling Jack. It's some parallel version of him.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
If you can find a copy of 'Rage', written as Richard Bachman, snatch it, as it's out of print, and a great book.

Easiest way to find it is probably in The Bachman Books, which contains Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and The Running Man. I think other than those, the only other books he wrote as Bachman were Thinner and The Regulators.

Actually, I'm wrong. Boy, is he whacked out. I just saw that there's a book called Blaze, co-written by Stephen King and Richard Bachman. He just won't let it go, will he.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Salem's Lot is my favorite King book.

I have to agree with Lisa about Black House. It's awful.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mist

Haven't seen the movie, so I can't speak to that. But the original novella is one of the greatest stories I've read.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the motion on Hearts in Atlantis. I think the first 2 sections of that were quite probably some of his best work ever.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Misery
The Green Mile
The Shinning
Tommyknockers

Excuse the no itallics and spelling. I just had a couple of seconds to post.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Long Walk from the Bachman books was the first Stephen King work I read. A great story.

I could get along with the Dark Tower at all. We just didn't click, but the rest of the books I've read have been thoroughly good reads.

Try On Writing too - very interesting.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kanelock:
I would recommend The Dark Tower series. It is such a great story, although the first book is the hardest to read. Wizard and Glass was the one that i just could not put down, it just draws you in so well.

I know I've said this before here at the 'Rack, but W&G was the book that finally made it possible for me to actually finish Gunslinger.

I just finished reading Duma Key while stuck in a hospital bed last week. Very twisted, very King. But not a good one to start with. I'd actually start with his early works, Carrie, Cujo, Christine, or The Dead Zone. Especially if you haven't seen the movie versions or can keep the two separate in your mind.

/e wonders how many other Jatraqueros followed the Gunslinger Born comics....

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I did. I have them all.

Even though it was just a retelling of part of Wizard and Glass (other than the interview with King and various prose vignettes that added some history to the story, in a Silmarillion sort of way), they're going to be doing some stuff that's brand spanking new. In theory, at least.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
And I *just* found out there's another DT comic launching March 5.... (I loves my SKEMERS newsletter)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER, ever read Gerald's Game. It's the worst, most horrible book I've ever read in my entire life.

Gerald's Game = a little piece of hell.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Has anyone read Firestarter? I have a friend that owns alot of his books and I asked him to borrow The Stand and he told me that first I have to read Firestarter, saying it's his best book.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
Has anyone read Firestarter? I have a friend that owns alot of his books and I asked him to borrow The Stand and he told me that first I have to read Firestarter, saying it's his best book.

Firestarter was my first King. I wouldn't call it his best, but it is definitely good.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
NEVER, ever read Gerald's Game. It's the worst, most horrible book I've ever read in my entire life.

Gerald's Game = a little piece of hell.

I actually have about 50 pages of this one marked off with post-its to tell me exactly which section I have to skip. Way too squicky for me. And I'm sure you can figure out which section it is....
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had just put one post-it on the front cover and another on the back and skipped everything in between.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually stayed up all night reading Gerald's Game. I'd say it's a little worse than his average, but he's got work that I'd say is worse. I think the dislike for Gerald's Game is largely a female issue, but I could be wrong.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Nah, I thought GG was okay... up until THAT section. It remains the only King story to make me physically ill.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Regulators did absolutely nothing for me. I really liked Insomnia and the Dark Tower series.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Did you read The Regulators right after reading Desperation? The two books really needed each other. It was an experiment, of sorts.
Sterling
Member # 8096

Huh? But, they were by two different authors... (just kidding.)

Reading them both definitely made me appreciate each more. I think I enjoyed Regulators more, though.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I think I did, too. In Danse Macabre, King writes about the difference between horror, terror and fear (iirc). He uses very different techniques as King and as Bachman.

Bachman isn't a horror writer at all. He's a suspense writer. He raises the tension to a high pitch, but that's all. He's a lot like Ira Levin, really. The Dead Zone is really only borderline King. I wonder sometimes whether he was tempted to have that one be by Bachman. Same with Firestarter. Both are extremely atypical King books.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
<I>Bag of Bones</I> is the only non-fantasy/non-Anne Rice book I have ever physically thrown away from me while reading. And THAT one I later picked up again. It had thise scene that was almost exactly like a very, very vivid nightmare I'd had some months before. The strangest part was that Stephen King was in my nightmare, doing what the POV character in <I>Bag of Bones</I>.

I have always after refered to the experience as the Great Freak Out.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Oh wow, Olivet, that would truly freak me out as well.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King is very heavy on characterization, getting you into the heads and lives of his characters--especially when they are young. (This gets way tediously overdone in his recent Lisey's Tale, where you get halfway through the book before anything happens. But his earlier books were better in this regard.) Many of his stories involve telepathy along with other supernatural elements--such as The Shining. I would also say that very few attempts to turn his stories into movies have worked very well. The Langoliers adaptation was not too bad. But the first Shining fell pretty far short. The remake that Stephen King himself had a larger hand in, worked a little better. But for some reason, it has been very hard to capture the mood of his writing in movies. Maybe that's the fault of the music score composer.

(I am convinced that is the primary thing that made the recent TV miniseries Tin Man less gripping and satisfying than it should have been. The main theme was too bombastic with the brass. The composer should have used more strings, with sweeping melody, like the way Howard Shore did the score for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The right film score alone would have made the movie many times better.) We often fail to appreciate how important the right film score is to a movie. This is because music is the language of emotion, and it literally tells the viewers how to feel.

[ February 13, 2008, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Did you read The Regulators right after reading Desperation? The two books really needed each other. It was an experiment, of sorts.

Yes I did. Still did nothing for me. TEHO, I guess.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Reading Regulators and Desperation back to back actually confused me more. It might not have been quite so bad if the character names weren't jumbled - Ellie being an adult in one and a kid in the other, for example. I liked each story on their own, just not as a tag-team.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got The Dead Zone, The Green Mile and Different Seasons (a book composed of four novellas). They're all really good, and all I'm qualified to recommend.

I've also got the entire Dark Tower series (I asked for one one Christmas, and my not-so-creative family got me the lot) but I couldn't bring myself to get into the first one, so I wouldn't recommend them either.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.