FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Private Kansas school refuses female referee (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Private Kansas school refuses female referee
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:
quote:
It would not be okay in a public school (IMO.) In a private school, they can certainly choose who to serve-- only boys, only girls, only Orthodox Jews, only Scientologists, whatever.

They just can't then expect public funding.

Actually there are gender separated public schools. The difference is that they justify the practice by arguing that girls and boys learn better in a single sex environment, and there is significant evidence to back up the claim. I think there must be an opt out clause if students (or parents) want to have a co-ed environment.
I wonder how that works, when I was reading up on the freedom of association since someone brought that up, I came across this interesting tidbit:
quote:
The holding of Runyon is that the defendant private schools were free to express and teach their views, such as white separatism, but could not discriminate on the basis of race in the provision of services to the general public. So, if the plaintiff African-American children wished to attend such private schools, and were clearly qualified in all respects (but race) and were able to pay the fees, and were willing to attend despite the fact that the school's professed principles were inconsistent with admitting them, then the schools were required by Section 1981 to admit them. The general rule to be drawn is that the First Amendment protects the right to express a viewpoint, including expression of a preference for racial discrimination, but people may not practice such ideas even within private associations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_association

If that is true, I wonder if gender or religious-based schools can legally discriminate when picking their potential students or not i.e. if a male applied for a female-only public school, could they legally turn him away?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If that is true, I wonder if gender or religious-based schools can legally discriminate when picking their potential students or not i.e. if a male applied for a female-only public school, could they legally turn him away?
The constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed or color, it does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of gender.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Really? Thats interesting, I didn't know that. Ours explicitly includes gender as a prohibited basis for discrimination.

So what legal basis do feminists use in the United States when they argue for equal rights?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
In the 1970s and early 80s there was an amendment proposed to the US constitution which would have guaranteed equal rights for women, it did not receive ratification from 2/3rds of the states. To this date, the US constitution does not guarantee equal rights for women. Some individual states do have constitutional prohibitions against discrimination on the basis of gender others have laws prohibiting or proscribing it, but in general women in the US have no legal recourse against descrimination.

When feminists in the US argue for equal rights it is on moral and ethical grounds not legal. Most commonly they are arguing for additional laws protecting women's rights.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

(Just to let you know, I've read that and have nothing *useful* to add except for a surprised "really?" I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the ramifications of "no legal recourse against discrimination"
(not that its necessarily bad, I'm just surprised that there is a difference like this))

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but come now, why would women need protection from discrimination based on gender? That's just crazy talk.

[Roll Eyes]

^
I
I
I
I

---

[I know this is on the topic of private discrimination, not public, but the sentiment is not so proscribed as that, unfortunately.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Mucus, I believe there were concerns raised that such an amendment to the US Constitution would force everyone to use the same toilet, or some such.

No, seriously.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the CA state constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender (at least that's what I was taught in school...) I wonder how many states have constitutions that do not?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

CT (response to your first post actually, which I thought was a response to mine): Sorry, I just didn't want to give off the "superior Canadian" impression by implying that our system was automatically better by having a equivalent of a constitutional clause prohibiting discrimination based on gender.
But by trying to avoid offence on these grounds, also know that I mean no offence to women including you either.

(I've just never previously considered the fact that the US has no constitutional protection for women, I just kinda assumed that it did)

Hmmmm, I don't know if that rambling is any better ...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed or color, it does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of gender.
quote:
Some individual states do have constitutional prohibitions against discrimination on the basis of gender others have laws prohibiting or proscribing it, but in general women in the US have no legal recourse against descrimination.
Neither of these statements is true. The equal protection clause subjects all gender-based distinctions in law to a heightened scrutiny standard.

For example, the Supreme Court held that a state-run all-male military academy was unconstitutional on equal protection grounds.:

quote:
In 1971, for the first time in our Nation's history, this Court ruled in favor of a woman who complained that her State had denied her the equal protection of its laws. Reed v. Reed, 404 U.S. 71, 73 (holding unconstitutional Idaho Code prescription that, among " `several persons claiming and equally entitled to administer [a decedent's estate], males must be preferred to females' "). Since Reed, the Court has repeatedly recognized that neither federal nor state government acts compatibly with the equal protection principle when a law or official policy denies to women, simply because they are women, full citizenship stature--equal opportunity to aspire, achieve, participate in and contribute to society based on their individual talents and capacities. See, e.g., Kirchberg v. Feenstra, 450 U.S. 455, 462-463 (1981) (affirming invalidity of Louisiana law that made husband "head and master" of property jointly owned with his wife, giving him unilateral right to dispose of such property without his wife's consent); Stanton v. Stanton, 421 U.S. 7 (1975) (invalidating Utah requirement that parents support boys until age 21, girls only until age 18).

Without equating gender classifications, for all purposes, to classifications based on race or national origin, [n.6] the Court, in post-Reed decisions, has carefully inspected official action that closes a door or denies opportunity to women (or to men). See J. E. B., 511 U. S., at 152 (Kennedy, J., concurring in judgment) (case law evolving since 1971 "reveal[s] a strong presumption that gender classifications are invalid"). To summarize the Court's current directions for cases of official classification based on gender: Focusing on the differential treatment or denial of opportunity for which relief is sought, the reviewing court must determine whether the proffered justification is "exceedingly persuasive." The burden of justification is demanding and it rests entirely on the State. See Mississippi Univ. for Women, 458 U. S., at 724. The State must show "at least that the [challenged] classification serves `important governmental objectives and that the discriminatory means employed' are `substantially related to the achievement of those objectives.' " Ibid. (quoting Wengler v. Druggists Mutual Ins. Co., 446 U.S. 142, 150 (1980)). The justification must be genuine, not hypothesized or invented post hoc in response to litigation. And it must not rely on overbroad generalizations about the different talents, capacities, or preferences of males and females. See Weinberger v. Wiesenfeld, 420 U.S. 636, 643, 648 (1975); Califano v. Goldfarb, 430 U.S. 199, 223-224 (1977) (Stevens, J., concurring in judgment).

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No, darlin', it's fine. [Smile]

I am venting a nearly lifelong frustration, that's all. A really sad part of it is that surveys at the time found that many people opposed to the "Equal Rights Amendment" did not actually know what it said. It actually entailed very little:

quote:
Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

It has continued to be reintroduced as a legislative resolution since then. In the 2007-2008 year, the lead co-sponsors were Senatory Ted Kennedy and Representative Carolyn Maloney.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Lovely to know that the law is being interpreted that way, Dagonee. I do hope that doesn't change.

[Not being snide, by the way. Sincerely.]

---

Also edited to add: Sometimes there is a technical distinction drawn between "gender" (roughly, the social constructions) and "sex" (the biological characteristics). Sometimes they are used more loosely as equivalent.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks Dagonee, That's good to know.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The effect on constitutional jurisprudence with respect to abortion was a major motivation for people opposing the ERA. It is the only motivation I possess.

Edit: that's not to say that there wasn't opposition couched in the terms CT cited.

quote:
Lovely to know that the law is being interpreted that way, Dagonee. I do hope that doesn't change.
The VMI decision was 7-1. Only Scalia dissented, and Thomas did not participate. Edit: so it looks pretty set.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Great! [Smile]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No he isn't deserving of ridicule. He is probably deserving of some sort of punishment, but ridicule is not the sort of thing that will balance those moral scales.
Just as readily as some people can deserve respect, others can deserve ridicule.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they are morons.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.