FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Franklin Institute and Star Wars!

Author Topic: Franklin Institute and Star Wars!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see the Star Wars exhibit at the Franklin Institute today! It looks really cool. Link

Yay for Valentine's Day dorkiness!

I'll report on how awesome it was tomorrow.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty I'll head to it before it leaves. King Tut was very good,
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with Valentine's Day dorkiness! I'd say you're spending your day most productively. Have fun.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
That's two things I desperately love all in one thread title/place! Have a great time, I'm jealous.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to it at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago. It was pretty cool.

One funny thing, though. When you enter, they have a green screen with statues of R2-D2 and C-3PO standing there. You have your picture taken, and as you exit, they have photo packs for you to buy. Well, Tova was wearing a green shirt. Just the right shade, too. So her whole torso was transparent. You could see Tatooine through her.

If I'd known about it in advance, I'd have gotten a round green circle and stuck it to my forehead. I recommend that, btw.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll check it out eventually. Anthony Daniels (Threepio) was great promoting it on the radio last week, so I think he sold me on it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know how it is Strider. They really lost me when they had the "See real life robots like this Roomba!!!!", but if you recommend it for someone who definitely was into the movies but isn't a hard-core fan, I'll probably check it out.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I thought it was pretty awesome. Maybe not spectacular, but really fun.

They had tons of original costumes, props, and models on display that were used in the movies. The highlight probably being the full size Luke's landspeeder from A New Hope. There was a lot of media to watch which were basically special feature dvd segments explaining how certain special effects and audio effects were created. The creative process behind characters and costumes, etc...Then there was the whole where "science meets star wars" part. Exhibits featuring developing technologies that somewhat relate to the technology in Star Wars. Most of this stuff was hands on. Playing with a magnetic car on a magnetized track, building a little robot and downloading a travel route to it, etc...

The Millenium Falcon ride was also fun. Again, not spectacular. But fun. It was basically like one of those videos where you start from our planet and move through the universe and see how small each progressive thing is compared to the next, except you were doing it from the cockpit of the Falcon, with a jump through hyperspace every now and again.

If you're in the area, it's worth visiting, but I don't know that I'd recommend traveling a ways for it unless you're a Star Wars nut.

There's also an "Identity" exhibit going on there right now as well. I'd recommend checking that out also if you go.

[ February 16, 2008, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to make a dobie of this, my thread would probably include this link

[ February 16, 2008, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.