FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Beautiful singing

Author Topic: Beautiful singing
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
As you know, I'm not by any means a Christian, but I know good music when I hear it. So let me direct your attention to this song. (Alas, comrade Sissel is not very good at introducing things; you might want to skip ahead to 1:05, when she stops being awkward in a foreign language and starts singing, which she's good at.)

I fear I cannot really do the power of the lyrics justice, but a rough translation:

Teach me to know your pathways
and walk them, trusting, step by step
I know that all I owned
were borrowed goods, and all is thine
So let your strong hand guide me
never to seek a wrongful goal
and for each hope that dies down here
a hope I gain in Heaven still.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
That really is a beautiful song.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, time to install adobe premier.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of her music, actually. She is wonderful.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I only knew her as the voice from the Titanic soundtrack until now?

I love clear voices. I saw Celtic Woman and it was 2 hours of singing like that. Heaven.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. She is an awesome singer.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
That was beautiful. I bought my Dad a Sissel CD a few years back but was underwhelmed by it at the time. Then I saw/heard her on a PBS Christmas special performing with the Mormon Tab this year and was very moved. I think it was the choice of music that didn't grab me on the CD; her voice is gorgeous when singing songs of great power as opposed to pop.

I understand she performed the vocals on the tour of LotR music, which I'll bet was fantastic, as well as background vocals for the Titanic soundtrack. She's on my list of artists to hear more of.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.