FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » And the HD DVD format winner is... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And the HD DVD format winner is...
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I can buy one. Except I don't actually own any sort of television [Smile] And none of my computer monitors is worthy of HD.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Downloading movies is already very popular. Granted, most of those are illegal, but you can still find DVD quality vidoes on a 17" laptop screen at a measly 1GB.

Once the movie industry realizes that people will pay to be able to download movies and music DRM and region free, then hopefully they'll begin to offer it. But hey, they've been less than reasonable in the past.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
Seriously Blayne, you're talking about one minor function of a computer, and since windows actually runs faster on a mac, it's a moot point.

That's a misstatement. The fastest Windows laptop that PC World tested last year was a Mac. It barely edged out a Gateway laptop, and as far as I can tell, it's only because it had better specs. If you're booting straight to Windows on a Mac, then it's just like any other x86 machine.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows makes me feel like death inside.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Games are very rarely made for macs, to buy a computer that cannot run games is akin to cutting off your link to the gene pool.

I swear that the writer for XKCD reads Hatrack.

http://xkcd.com/386/

Of course, your link to the gene pool does not consist of the possibility of reproducing, but rather, actually doing it.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:

I started running windows using a program called Parallels on my Mac. I'm not quite sure how it works, but you can run windows with the windows start bar at the bottom of your screen, or you can open a full windows desktop. It runs as a virtual machine, but not within a partition on your hard drive, just within the application. It works REALLY well for me, as I can watch the netflix online movies on my windows IE. One thing though, is that it doesn't seem to support a ton of other programs, including the games I used to have for windows back in the day. I don't care though, to be fair. It's still nice to have the windows option.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's a feature.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there must be a market for your whatsits, BlueJays and HD-ABCs,, but I can't think of anyone I know who cares right now. I agree that by the the time the higher density DVDs would become common place, it seems likely that high speed connectivity is going to largely surplant it.

On the cool toys note, I just bought a Sony Vaio ux390n for a little under $1000 and it's actually living up to what I was expecting.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the question regarding the mac's wp software, I don't have an answer for you, and probably won't any time soon. I'm planning on entering grad school in the fall, and like most schools they use office pretty predominantly so I'm going to buy a copy of office for mac to avoid complications caused by using different software. It's too bad because so far, I prefer the mac's systems. For example, Safari (the web browser), has a built in spell check as opposed to IE for windows.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I guess there must be a market for your whatsits, BlueJays and HD-ABCs,, but I can't think of anyone I know who cares right now. I agree that by the the time the higher density DVDs would become common place, it seems likely that high speed connectivity is going to largely surplant it.

On the cool toys note, I just bought a Sony Vaio ux390n for a little under $1000 and it's actually living up to what I was expecting.

Out of curiosity, what sorts of applications were you primarily planning on using it for? It looks nice, but the keyboard is just too small, for me personally. Any computer I'd ever buy would have to have a full sized keyboard. I've always wanted to try one of those keyboards which is like a little black block and it shoots out a keyboard maybe of laser beams and basically creates a keyboard on any surface, but I've never seen on up close to try.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
In answer to the question regarding the mac's wp software, I don't have an answer for you, and probably won't any time soon. I'm planning on entering grad school in the fall, and like most schools they use office pretty predominantly so I'm going to buy a copy of office for mac to avoid complications caused by using different software.

Mac Office is actually pretty sweet. Microsoft's Mac Business Unit is pretty good about making its apps look and feel "Mac-like." <3
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.