FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happiest Country in the World

Author Topic: Happiest Country in the World
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back I was working on a regional socio-economic indicators mapping project. Other tasks took priority and it got set aside. Just last week, I ran into a colleague who got both the funding and the time to do a similar project but even better. Lucky gal!

And then just this evening, I ran across this nifty schema looking for a world map for a children's project. Check it out:

Find Your Country

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The Danes. Who'da thunk it?

If we define happiness as the lack of suicide, I think this map might look a little different. Scandanavians off themselves with surprising frequency. It reminds me of Chris Rock's line from "The Longest Yard." (I paraphrase) "What do you white guys have to be depressed about? You're white!"

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
my country is too small to show on the map [Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Those rotten Danes with their coercive redistribution. How dare they claim to be happy?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:

So is mine.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kama:

Where are you Kama? I thought you were in Poland and it shows nicely on the map.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think she's working in Luxembourg.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

yup, Luxembourg.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A larger map along with a list of countries ordered by "happiness".
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

aha! the map's still too small, but at least it's listed [Wink]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm.. I question their methodology.. SAUDI ARABIA ranks very highly??? What, did they only ask the men?

I wonder if they asked the woman who got lashed 50 times after being raped.

This is about as useful and scientific as the "Top Ten Movie Presidents" list that came out the other day.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Umm.. I question their methodology.. SAUDI ARABIA ranks very highly??? What, did they only ask the men?
I'm interested in the methodology as well, but I'm not willing to dismiss its findings just because some of them are surprising to me.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is about as useful and scientific as the "Top Ten Movie Presidents" list that came out the other day.
I can't remember his name, but the president in Independence Day of course, and Andrew Sheppard from "The American President," he was good. If it was just fictional presidents I'd add Bartlett from The West Wing. Other than that I'm somewhat fuzzy on film presidents.

I liked JFK in 13 Days, but he's not exactly fictional.

quote:
"What do you white guys have to be depressed about? You're white!"
It's funny, a commentator on CNN the other night talking about the election said something to the effect of "there isn't enough attention being paid to white men in this election," and she was almost laughed out of the room. But when they shut up and she explained her point about how the demographic studies generally only talk about women, blacks, latinos, and then extreme age groups, white men are rarely mentioned. Yes it's true that white men, compared to everyone else, have it fairly easy, but that's not everything. The fact that a joke like Rock's is probably considered both universally funny AND universally inoffensive I think says a lot about the lack of respect given to white men. And I know, or at least I bet, that reading this paragraph I sound ludicrous, but there's something to it, something that rarely gets mentioned because it's sacrilige in America to suggest that white men don't have it made just because they are white men.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, you are brilliant.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It's funny, a commentator on CNN the other night talking about the election said something to the effect of "there isn't enough attention being paid to white men in this election," and she was almost laughed out of the room. But when they shut up and she explained her point about how the demographic studies generally only talk about women, blacks, latinos, and then extreme age groups, white men are rarely mentioned. Yes it's true that white men, compared to everyone else, have it fairly easy, but that's not everything. The fact that a joke like Rock's is probably considered both universally funny AND universally inoffensive I think says a lot about the lack of respect given to white men. And I know, or at least I bet, that reading this paragraph I sound ludicrous, but there's something to it, something that rarely gets mentioned because it's sacrilige in America to suggest that white men don't have it made just because they are white men.

I'd tend to agree, with the obvious caveat that I'm a white guy. [Smile] I remember my sister saying something dismissive about an advertised men's seminar- it's not like there are no problems specific to being male. Shorter life expectancy, higher chance of workplace death, a whole host of unhealthy societal expectations... Not to mention this ridiculous notion that being born white and male automatically makes you part of some secret all-powerful clique that makes the decisions for how society will be run.

Not to say that the opposite sex and other races don't have real and unique problems of their own.

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Wow. The Danes. Who'da thunk it?

There's something [Big Grin] in the state of Denmark...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.