FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lunar Eclipse Wed Night. Hope you didn't miss it!

Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse Wed Night. Hope you didn't miss it!
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Check the map to see if you are able to see it.

Here's a sky and telescope article abut the eclipse, and here's one I wrote up for the school paper (Clearly superior to the Sky and Telescope article [Big Grin] .)

For those in the Eastern Time Zone, it starts at about 8:45 p.m., reaches total eclipse at 10:01 p.m., which continues till 10:51 p.m. It will then trail off until after midnight.

Does anyone here take pictures? If you do, I'd love to see them. I don't, and will be too busy organizing to take pictures, not that I have the know-how anyways.

[ February 21, 2008, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: The White Whale ]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We're having a double eclipse - the moon obcured by the earth obscured by cloud cover.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

We've got a forecast of between 40% and 70% cloud cover.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty overcast here in Utah. I doubt we'll be able to see it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: Is there a signficant difference between the surface gravity on the Moon on nearside and farside?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite the close proximity of the Earth, which is enough to lock the Moon tidally?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Gravity decreases with the square of the distance. The moon is something like sixty times the distance from the earth, so the earth's gravity at that distance is 1/3600th the magnitude, or about .005 m/s^2 differential in acceleration between the sides of the moon.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
It's fairly clear here in Chicago right now. I'll try to remember to take pictures. No idea how good they'll be.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
It snowed all day here in Ohio, then the clouds cleared out at about 6:00. The sky is crystal clear and there is fresh snow on the ground. It's cold too, so I'm looking out my window.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty clear here in New Jersey. It's almost total at the moment.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, but it's cloudy here in Phoenix, while my parents are able to see the eclipse in Oregon. It's the reverse of the usual viewing conditions.

I'm hoping it will clear up, but it doesn't look good.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
It's total now and is very pretty. It has a light golden-copperish yellow color that is stunning. There are perfect viewing conditions from where I am. I'll see if I can upload pictures later.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
It's clear here in Baltimore, even though it snowed. The moon is completely covered now, although the whole thing is grayish-redish-brownish.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Cayla and I went out to see it, couldn't find the moon. We went driving, hoping that if we were out in the country, away from lights, we could see it. Still nothing. We can't even figure out where it should be behind the clouds. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Great views in Vancouver.

It will be cool when we have a lunar webcam to get the views from there!

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you're in the northwest, look for small bits of ex-satellite streaking through the sky...

Live in the desert, and the freaking eclipse is concealed by clouds. Oh well, at least I woke up to see the last one.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Great view in Michigan tonight. The sky was the clearest I've seen it in a long time, you could clearly see Saturn and Regulus on either side of the moon. Sadly I didn't have time to get my telescope out of the garage, I wish I had.

It was pretty. Now I have two years to get a better telescope and have it set up, and pray that the view is as clear as it was tonight. Crystal clear.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It was partly cloudy here in NC, but after the clouds sped past the moon, it was gorgeous. Purpley-goldeny with lots of stars - it was very cool. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I photo'd and filmed. Wish I had been able to pull out my baby, but it was too cold, and I didn't have time, since I had a class go until 9pm. Plus it uses the same tripod as the camera.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to go out and look until after totality, but it was pretty cool at ~90% occluded a bit ago. I'm going out to look again. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
No eclipse view for me, mother nature blew it with clouds.

I was out for 30 or 45 minutes, and my toes were in pain. Jeez, can we get on with spring already?

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one short glimpse through a break in the clouds. eh, it was fine.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
So cool! My area was clear for once and I could see it! Yay! It was a very sullen red color. Streaky and swirling. Made me ponder if that's how the Red Star might look on Pern . . . *grin*

I.e., meteorite: my mom and grammy were on their porch and saw it -- as our website host and hostess have family in the same area, they might well have seen the show, too!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
It was beautiful here (in Augusta, GA) but I forgot to look at complete totality when it's usually prettiest. The eclipsed moon is so awesome!

Can you remember every lunar eclipse you've seen and who you watched it with?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
We had a great view! I was very excited. I don't remember ever seeing one before. Now I want a telescope.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Tatiana, no I can't. I can remember being dragged out by my mother to see some when I was young, and I was sleepy and grumpy and didn't care back then.

We had good conditions here in Northern NY. About half and half, clear and cloudy, but freaking cold! Man!

I went out to our small school observatory at 6:30 to set up telescopes for the event, and was cold almost immediately. We started at 8, had about 30 people there between 8 and 10, with 4 telescopes, and about halfway through totality, the clouds came in and stayed.

It was good to get a view of totality, for the 20 mins or so that we had it. And I was thankful to pack up, my toes were numb, even with 3 layers of socks!

It was all worth it though. I was in charge of one of our bigger telescopes (being Stargazing president has its perks!) and I loved showing younger kids the moon and Saturn for the first time (oh yeah, by the way Saturn was very close to the moon throughout the night!). When they get up on the stepstool, cold and tired, and then see the rings of Saturn for the first time with their own eyes, it's a great experience.

I'd spend hours out there every night just to hear one of these kids "Wow! I can see the rings! Mommy! I can see the rings!"

But yes, if you have pictures, please post them when you get a chance. I love moon pictures.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there go 10 seconds I'll never get back.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
There's something wonderful about remembering that the earth really is a tangible THING that can block light just like any other object. It's easy to get stuck in thinking that nothing exists outside the surface of our planet.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
It was perfectly clear here in SE Michigan, and it was indeed eclipsed. Always an inspiring sight. Anybody know when the next significant? meteor shower will be? My friends and I watched the pleides for a while this last fall and it was sweet and just curious when another one should be coming along
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
We're having a double eclipse - the moon obcured by the earth obscured by cloud cover.

HAHAHAHA!

Pooka wins the thread!

We had too much cloud cover (as reported by Mrs_Maven, who was awake at ungodly hours). As for me the sky was eclipsed by the my duvet - being the half-wit I am I thought the eclipse was tonight (Thursday). Doh...

[ February 21, 2008, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: anti_maven ]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It was lovely. The sky was perfectly clear in Wisconsin last night.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
It cleared up toward the end in MA.

I took a single pic with exposures every four minutes for over two hours.

Now to hope it comes out and I didn't shake the camera when winding the film.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
The sky was totally clear, but it was -12 degrees here in Minnesota. However, I just moved to a new apartment that has nice big tall east-facing windows in the living room, with a radiator right under them. I had a perfect view in total comfort [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Tried to see it. Cloudy/heavy overcast. I will have to be satisfied with seeing photos others took of it.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
My photos stunk. However, this morning the Chicag Tribune posted a time-lapse video of the event: http://www.chicagotribune.com/video/?slug=chi-022008-eclipse

There is a short commercial at the beginning of the video (naturally). I love how the moon seems to sparkle at about 1:20. I'm sure it's just a camera effect, but it's still neat.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
That video doesn't match what I saw at all. The moon basically just became red/orange in color where the shadow was.

Was pretty cool to see, but not at all like my expectations for a lunar eclipse.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
It was great in Philadelphia. We never get to see astronomical events with so many lights. But last night, truly awesome.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see the clown face in the moon?

Uh...just asking.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Xavier, what time did you view it? Because for me, here in New York, you saw the shadow of the earth obscuring more and more of the moon from 8:45 p.m. till about 10 p.m., and then the moon turned a brownish-red from about 10 till 10:45. Pretty much exactly what that video showed.

Did you just catch this later portion (when it was in total eclipse?), and what were your expectations? I hear this a lot and just wonder what people expect will happen.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
It stayed completely overcast here. Bah.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
As reported by Architraz Warden, the overcast in the desert compleatly veiled the show. The same thing happened at my only chance to see a complete Solar eclipse. I was on the beach at Apalachacola and there was a general overcast. The swimming was better then than last night.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It turned out I was able to see it. [Blushing] Thanks for letting us know that was coming, White Whale. I wasn't able to wake my 6th grader to see it, though, which is a shame.

It reminded me of a gemstone we used to play with called a Tiger's eye.

Hey, Tara, I'm also in the Baltimore area.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
We had about an inch of rain yesteray, so definetely could not see anything interesting and didn't try since it was not very pleasant outside.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting postscript to the eclipse:
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn13376-lunar-eclipse-may-shed-light-on-climate-change.html

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.