FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've geeked my son.

Author Topic: I've geeked my son.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So we are still unpacking all of our stuff from our recent move into the new house. I found a nice hidden compartment in which to store my "I swear one day they'll be collectible" stash of old D&D books (1st edition). Among them are some other Role Playing games as well.

Sasha, seven year old innocent Sasha, saw the books as I was storing (hiding) them. He had a thousand questions. So I unobtrusively answered the questions (with a bit of Geek Pride) while steering him away from the pictures of demons, gore, and leather bikini clad shapely darkelves with whips (why did these books seem so interesting to teen age boys?).

Finally I found a book he could look at safely.

Ever hear of the game, "Toon". Its a cartoon (Bugs-Bunny style) RPG.

He fell in love and insisted on playing.

My wife, who was an avid role playing maven--reformed, agreed to join us.

Now we are running a nonstop toon campaign. The feel of the dice is reawakening memories.

My poor 16 year old nephew decided to spend the weekend between "Drum Corp" competitions, with us (we are closer to his school than his parents, by 15 miles). He has been drug into the games as well. He brought his best friend over to meet us, and his best friend was forced to play. I am sure they think we are the geekiest aunt and uncle alive.

Sasha is on his 4th character. He loves his "Gorill-Obot" creations--robots with a Gorilla head, which were his own ideas. I don't know if I should be proud of his imagination, or call for a child psychologist.

Now I'm back to running the cartoon. Give me those dice. I want to roll.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Seems like your son is at the right age to start giving him a healthy dose of the geek. You know, just enough that he is comfortable inventing something or starting his own business, but not so much that he is crippled when it comes to dating. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You should hear the indoctrination my kids go through. My three-year-old has been known to tell my one-year-old, "Don't bother Mommy. She is watching Sargate [Stargate.] It is very important." *giggles*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Little kid geeks are so cute. Andrew is trying with Aerin, but he's not having much luck.

Of course, she loves to watch football (seriously), knows how to do a herkie and a liberty, and can do a back walkover almost by herself. She has also run into the Louis Vuitton and MAC stores at our local outdoor mall (where we go when the playground is too crowded for us), totally on her own. I swear - I'm a Ferragamo girl. Poor Andrew.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute. [Smile] Congratulations.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, I geek my kids out on my shopping obssessions, too. Bridey saw an IKEA commercial the other day and started jumping up and down, clapping, and saying "Keea! Keea!" when she saw the logo...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
MUAHAA! The stupid link villain strikes again! *runs away cackling*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Dan!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
They're never too young, that's what I say. Congrats on adding another geek to the club. We're all very proud.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You should hear the indoctrination my kids go through. My three-year-old has been known to tell my one-year-old, "Don't bother Mommy. She is watching Sargate [Stargate.] It is very important." *giggles*

Whereas my wife and her friends call themselves Stargate "widows".
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I blame the grandparents who bought me a subscripton to several different Marvel and DC super-hero comics when I was 9.

(I can still remember the home planet of every member of the Legion of Super-Heroes!)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Soon you must make him watch BSG
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.