FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vietnam War and College Football

Author Topic: Vietnam War and College Football
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How can I learn more about it, especially first hand accounts of what medics went through.
There's so many details about it I don't know.
Like if you graduated from Harvard, would you be an officer? I know my uncle was a non-combatant and became a medic. According to my grandmother he couldn't even stand to look at the colour red, so I think that what happens in the background of this novel is possible. But there are so many basic details I'm missing.
So far I watched a documentary about the Vietnam war, went to a site before that that said it was lost because of Jane Fonda, I'm reading a novel about the Vietnam war, I watched Platoon and The Deer Hunter. (Not a good idea when one is feeling low and down, but, I've got to know more, even if it's not the center of the story.)But I'm starving for more resources.

Now what I really need to know about is what football training is like in high school and college, hazing rituals. Game schedules. Whether or not training would begin during the summer? Would these kids end up staying on campus during the holidays for training or would they go home?
I've got to find ways of doing detailed research.

To the Harvard homepage.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this book when I first came back from AIT. It was really interesting to hear the accounts of medics. It also gave a nice history of medics in the military.

I was a medic in the National Guard. I really enjoyed it and parlayed that training into a technicians position at a local emergency room. Working in the ER made me a better medic.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How useful.
What was being a medic in the National Guard like?
Do you have to have a background in medicine to do that?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you don't have to have a background in medicine.

I loved it. I took care of my guys and they really liked me for it. One year after I got out, the unit I supported was going to be shipped to Bosnia. Many of the guys called me and asked me to come back so I could go over with them. They asked for me specifically.

Being in the Guard was like any other military position. "Hurry up and wait". There were plenty of times where boredom kicks in. Especially for a medic. You sit around while people are trying to qualify for their weapon. You have to be there the entire time the range is open. That's where books come in. That and a lot of story telling.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone regular army. I really wanted to see the world, but all I saw was Camp Gruber.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.