FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quick money ideas? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quick money ideas?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I did not ANYWHERE say you can make a full time job or a steady/consistent income tutoring.

But you can, and I know people who do. They're not making any $150 an hour, but they get by.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I did not ANYWHERE say you can make a full time job or a steady/consistent income tutoring.

But you can, and I know people who do. They're not making any $150 an hour, but they get by.
Oh, certainly - I'm not saying it's not possible. But katharina seems to think I suggested you can work 40 hours a week making $150+/hour tutoring, which is just silly considering I said exactly the opposite.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
kat: While I was living in Hong Kong I worked as a teacher's assistant during a summer. I seemed to connect well with the kids and two seperate parents approached me asking if I would act as a sort of older brother for their son on the weekends, playing with him and tutoring him. They offered me very similar amounts to what erosomniac was talking about. I am also reasonably certain that had I done as good a job as they were expecting, I could have easily gotten several thousand dollars over the course of a month.

Unfortunately I thought it was unethical and I did not really have time to be somebody's older brother part time.

Several of my peer's parents spent thousands of dollars on tutors who helped prepare those peers for the SATs. In a major metropolitan city with many private schools, the desire to maximize a child's school performance is a very lucrative field.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I never suggested it. I never actually suggested anything.

I did say that I think you're lying about what are realistic expectations concerning tutoring, and that is completely true.

Even if, a very big if, you personally got paid that much (which there seems to be no way to determine), you were very disingenous to suggest that as an option dependent only her intelligence, people skills, and academic record.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it is possible to make a living tutoring. A second cousin of mine in Maryland has done it - he tutors primarily English, but routinely makes around $75 an hour.

Plus, I know (from experience, back in the olden days when I was prepping for the GRE) that many Princeton Review tutors are full-time. Never actually hired any of them, precisely because they charge so much.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*confused* Was that to me?

Wait - never mind. That wasn't to me.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I got paid $100 an hour as an SAT tutor, with bonuses for large score increases. I don't know if this ever would have come up to $150 an hour, but it came close.

I didn't do this all that often, but it was a good way to make money in college.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I think you're lying.

Got any proof besides anecdotes?

Asking for evidence of someone's personal anecdote like this is not reasonable. If it happened, then it happened. He obviously can't prove it on an online forum, because we don't know his friend. Unless there is strong evidence to think it isn't possible, the charitable thing to do is to assume it is the truth.

But if it did happen, even just once, then it is definitely possible. Whether it is possible for someone else in a different situation with different qualifications is another question.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I did say that I think you're lying about what are realistic expectations concerning tutoring, and that is completely true.
That's not actually what you said. You said he was lying for claiming to have made $150 an hour tutoring.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I am not interested in conversing with you, Squick.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm not surprised. That doesn't mean I won't point it out when you lie about what you said.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Hatrack, for giving me the nudge I needed to get off my rear and go looking for a part-time job here.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I know several graduate students at UCLA who charge $100 to $200 an hour to tutor math.

And, also for the record:

quote:
katharina
I paid $50 an hour for tutoring, but she had a Master's degree in the subject. She usually charged between $50 and $75 (the higher rate being for slackers whose rich parents were paying for it (she didn't say it in so many words) ). This is in northern Virginia, home to the two richest counties in the country.

I'd love to see some proof for the $150 an hour rate.

quote:
erosomniac
quote:Originally posted by katharina:
I'd love to see some proof for the $150 an hour rate.

I've already referenced that proof in this thread. If you're going to call me a liar, be straightforward about it and say "you're a liar," please.

quote:
katharina
Yeah, I think you're lying.

Got any proof besides anecdotes?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.