FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

Author Topic: World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
While some people have a fascination with vampires or werewolves, I've always been terrified by zombies. I love the adrenaline rush of a good horror movie but rarely sit through zombie-flicks because the majority seem utterly focused on cheap gore and easy violence. One of my favorite scary movies is "28 Days Later" because I think it embraced the things I find most terrifying about zombies...that they are entirely foreign and recognizable at the same time, and that they feel no pain and no fear.

I started reading Max Brooks' "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" after I discovered it in the database at the bookstore I work at. As I am broke, I've to to limit myself to reading it on my lunch-hour, which worked surprisingly well with the book's short-interview style chapters. Brooks (son of Mel Brooks) is better known for the humorous "Zombie Survival Guide," which I haven't read yet, but he takes the subject in a completely different direction with "WWZ."

Needless to say, I've had a dozen or more nightmares about zombies since I started the book.

Its told through a series of post-war interviews meant to inform mankind in a personal way, lest we forget and suffer a repeat of events. Its amazing how detailed this book is. Brooks' characters span the globe. They are doctors, military men and women, civilians, profiteers, and everything in between. Each with their own voice and their own unique experience. He examines each way in which mankind fails to stop the outbreak. He offers controversial plans for overcoming the living dead. Every detail from how to maintain social order to why landmines won't work. How and why the economy will crumble and how we'll build it back. He talks about the effect on the environment and what happens when a person converts while in a car (zombies behind the wheel, anyone?)

I remember being stunned by the idea of people who would become so unhinged that they would act like zombies themselves, along the same lines of prisoners of war or kidnappees who identify with their captures as a way to mentally cope. Or there was one interview about a pilot who bails out of her crashing plane and lands in the Atchafalaya Basin. It talks about her struggle in zombie infested marshland to reach the bridge where she can be rescued. I drove over this bridge twice last weekend and it was an eerie experience.

So maybe I'm behind on the times and everyone has read this book, but I thought I'd throw it out as a recommendation. I really want to get to the audiobook at some point because: A) it has a cool cast and B) it would be such a cool "War of the Worlds" experience.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
It was so awesome, but I'm still having nightmares a month later. I've shoved it on all my friends because of the sheer brilliance of it.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the audiobook of WWZ. Each character is done by a different actor and they really add to the story.

The Survival Guide is only funny because it treats the subject of zombie preparedness seriously. It's tone is straight forward and instructional. I recommend this book too.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this book awhile back and also loved it. A great, fun, easy read. [Smile]

and...

ZOMBIES!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
For any zombie fan I also have to recommend the oft-overlooked movie Fido. It's the touching story of a young boy and his zombie.

"What's the matter, boy? Is Timmy in trouble?"
"mrrrngh!"

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this book. I first read it on a 21-hour plane trip, for which it was perfectly suited. Short, gripping tales that leave you something to think about after you're done.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
The more afraid you are of the zombies, the more they'll try to get you.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. I will buy it this weekend. I love zombies. When I grow up, I either want to kill or be killed by zombies.

I've seen Fido on the shelf, but passed it up. I may check it out.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
heh.. on the way from amazon. yay!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the zombie survival guide, and loved it, so i'm off to go get this one today, i'll come back later, tell you what i think.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I have both books. And they're awesome!

Brrrraaaiiinnsssss!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. With all of you. Great book.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
I recommend the audiobook of WWZ. Each character is done by a different actor and they really add to the story.

Cautionary note: I'm pretty sure that version's abridged -- our local library has it, and it's only 5 CDs, which is way too few for a 342-page book.

(I like the book, and would love to listen to an audio version, but my dislike of abridgement keeps me away from that version, as cool as it sounds.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep almost buying this book. And then not doing it. Maybe I'll pick it up as soon as I'm not poor anymore. Which should be roughly 15 days.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

I'm 50 pages in now, it is really good, although i would say you should read the zombie survival guide first, or you might be hazy on some subjects. Or you may not be at all!

If you like zombies at all, buy this book...hehe.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the audiobook is very abridged. A lot of the sections not essential to the main thrust of each section were left out. The two that spring to mind were any section involving the marketing of Vanguard (the 'cure' that wasn't) and sections from the point of view of military personnel outside Mike Wainio... like the troopers fighting in the catacombs under France, which was one of my favorite sections.

The tradeoff is that the audiobook is voice acted by a full cast of professional actors, and what sections are included are really, really good. So, I got it, and I enjoy it, but it's not a replacement for the book.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the book about a week ago, the title jumped out at me and I almost got it then. Just got it about two hours ago and I'm about 52 or so pages in...I love it so far. How long till the movie adaptation?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Qaz:
The more afraid you are of the zombies, the more they'll try to get you.

I've also heard that, like a T-Rex, if you stand completely still, they won't see you at all, and instead will run in a different direction. Or totter in a different direction, depends on the zombie species.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"What's the matter, boy? Is Timmy in trouble?"
"mrrrngh!"

*snort*

*goes to find*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
NPR's Talk of the Nation had an entire show where they played along with the idea that WWZ actually happened and people called up and played along, giving their rombie survival stories. It was pretty cool!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate you all! Because of this thread, I ended-up buying the .pdf version and read it within two days! Hate you more than I hate Zeeke!

(The book is pretty awesome, though)

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Zombie survival kit
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished it a few days ago. Good read. Mostly makes for a fairly believable tale, within the limits of suspension of disbelief, anyway.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked this up a couple days ago, and I really like it so far. Is the Zonbie survival guide just as good?
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think so, it's a lot more dry and technical while WWZ is more entertaining and story oriented. They're both barrels of fun though.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Brooks visited my school last week -- had I seen this thread, I would have gone to see him.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battler03
Member # 10453

- posted      Profile for Battler03           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
I love this book. I first read it on a 21-hour plane trip, for which it was perfectly suited. Short, gripping tales that leave you something to think about after you're done.

A 21-hour plane trip to WHERE? Effing Mars? Kuwait to North Carolina is only a sixteen-hour flight. Where the hell were you flying?!

I must add to this thread my heartfelt conviction that you have GOT to read the Zombie survival guide before you read World War Z. It kind of puts the whole thing in context, I guess.

And also, the guy who was talking about the audio book, and was complaining because it left out the catacombs section, which was one of his favorites: I totally, TOTALLY agree. WOW. What a heart-wrenching story, about the guys fighting the zombies down in the pitch black, in the diver/MOPP suits, in the scalding heat, in the...in Hell. I am a voracious reader, and I almost NEVER actually cry from a book...but near the end, when the interviewee is talking about how his little brother could have gotten out, but decided to make his last stand down there in that crossroads in the catacombs...I really got choked up. What a good book.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
umm.... spoilers?
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished this book. [Angst]

I took a test online and I've found that I only have a 27% chance of surviving if ever faced with this type of situation.

I've been talking about zombies all week.

My friends and family think I'm completely nuts. I keep talking about scenarios and situations that we might find ourselves in if (when) this happens. I'm finding out that I'm going to have to be the one in charge. I don't know what to do with all the completely blind innocents that I live amongst.

[Angst]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by Tammy:
I keep talking about scenarios and situations that we might find ourselves in if (when) this happens. I'm finding out that I'm going to have to be the one in charge. I don't know what to do with all the completely blind innocents that I live amongst.

I always am thinking of how to defend the particular room im in from zombies, expecially at school... well that kid is done for... maybe if i reached the, no.. there all goners...
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband has a list of things he's learned from movies. One of them is "Never go into space without a shotgun" Thank you Aliens for that tip.

I have one from zombie movies. "Assume everyone left behind in the city when the zombie outbreak happens to already be a zombie." Sorry guys - I love you, but I'm not going back into a zombie infested city to try and find you.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by Battler03:
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:

A 21-hour plane trip to WHERE? Effing Mars? Kuwait to North Carolina is only a sixteen-hour flight. Where the hell were you flying?!
Washington DC to Bombay. I kept track - it was exactly 21 hours from entering one airport and exiting the last. Only one stopover too - the airport of hell, Heathrow. They are about 8000 miles apart - nearly on the exact opposite sides of the world.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Try living in Australia. Anything other than Asia is usually around 20+ hours away.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Oh, I'm sure. It's not that difficult to find a way to travel a day or more, especially if you're coming from or going to small cities. Our flight was actually quite nice, especially since we had only one stop each way. And I highly recommend Virgin and Jet Airways (Indian company) - Jet Airways was awesome enough that I'd be willing to pay extra to fly them.
vonk
Member # 9027

Excellent book! Just finished reading it and will be having fantasies about being one of the cleanup crews in the islands for weeks. I must find a way to make myself a Lobo'. Although if it came to pass, I would probably be a LaMOE. So good. So thorough. I'm looking forward to Survival Guide.

quote:
The two that spring to mind were any section involving the marketing of Vanguard (the 'cure' that wasn't) and sections from the point of view of military personnel outside Mike Wainio...
My copy had Phalanx for the drug and Todd Wainio for the vet. What's up with that?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought some of you would enjoy this (work safe).
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... Dang, Vonk, you're absolutely right. I really don't know how I misremembered those two. How bizarre. I can't account for that. It's... been a while since I read it, I guess.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Oh, ok. TBH, I actually thought the audio version was not only abridged but had different names. It didn't occur to me that it was a mistake.

[ August 18, 2008, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun of the Dead is the only zombie movie I've ever seen, so I didn't know that zombies could live underwater.

The underwater zombies in the book were great. Is that a new concept, or has that been in movies before?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The Romero series has gotten plenty of mileage out of the fact that zombies have no need to breathe and can travel underwater.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, I'm very late to the party, but I finally got around to getting this book from the library.

Wow. Just...wow.

I'm not a horror fan and didn't really think I would like it but I was gripped and read the whole thing..stayed up until midnight to finish it then checked and re-checked all my doors before I went to bed!

***slight spoilers below***
I guess the section that got to me the most was the family who went north thinking they would be able to survive and did survive the zombies only to find themselves and their daughter starving to death in the winter. And the K9 handler at the end talking about the dogs and their role in the war [Cry]
**end spoilers**

If you have not read this, I cannot recommend it more highly, and this is from someone who considers herself a bit squeamish and doesn't like horror. While it's graphic, and bloody, Brooks does not go for the squick factor, but rather the human factor. He's not splattering brains on the page, except where his characters need to talk about brains and appropriate ammo...and you buy it, as a reader despite the ridiculous premise. At one point I found myself nodding, thinking to myself "Yeah, that makes sense that that type of ammo would work," because once you get past the silly premise, everything else feels so real.

Go read it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I could not agree more.

Go read it. Go read it now.

I also keep talking about zombies, to the consternation of my friends. I think the main thing to remember is that they're slow and don't climb very well. I'm not a good survivalist type--in most end-of-the-world worlds (Dies the Fire, Lucifer's Hammer, Life As We Knew It, The Stand), I wouldn't last long. But zombies, now--what I have going for me is that I'm totally ready. (I have contingency plans for the other scenarios, too, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be a lot harder to get to my in-laws' farm than even I think.)

(Oh, and if you liked the style of World War Z, you might want to give The Good War by Studs Terkel a read.)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I think people who read this book find themselves checking houses they're in...determining how fortifiable they would be.

I was in a home of a friend tonight and kept thinking that all the windows at ground level were a VERY bad idea.

Also, the woman in the early part of the book who built the city named Troy where all the houses were on stilts with retractable ladders and a huge wall surrounded the whole city and they had solar power...I am thinking of building one of those communities when the economy gets better. I bet I could sell houses to people who have read this book.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:

(Oh, and if you liked the style of World War Z, you might want to give The Good War by Studs Terkel a read.)

Or any Studs Terkel. The only thing that I really didn't like about WWZ was that the Studs Terkel-style book about encounters with the fey that I've been working on on and off for years would now seem derivative. But then, I'd been working on the thing for years, and wasn't very far into it. It's unlikely that I'd ever have finished it, let alone shopped it around.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Zombie survival kit

My mother gave me and my brothers each an 'emergency survival pack'. One of my brothers commented that the survival pack is more suited to zombie attacks than any other disaster. The backpack includes a flashlight that requires five minutes of hand cranking to charge for an hour's worth of light, or as he put it "You just need to stave off the zombie waves such that they last an hour with at least five minutes in between." It also comes with a folded shovel... with a serated edge. "Should a zombie attack you while burying a loved one, you need but to lift your shovel and use it as a blunt instrument of death or a delightfully efficient saw."

And before anyone asks, we ARE recommending therapy for him. [Razz]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.