FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Physics Mind Buggery

Author Topic: Physics Mind Buggery
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, what happens?

When you create a portal on a wall, and another portal on the surface of a table.

And any object thrown through one portal will come out the other.

Now, what happens if you through the table with the portal on it, into the portal on the wall?

Think about it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, what happens if you through the table with the portal on it, into the portal on the wall?
i assume through=throw.

but the answer to your question is 42.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
The term 'physics' is used rather loosely here.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
DNFTT
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
If the table is big enough to make an orange portal on, it's too large to fit through the blue portal on the wall . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

not if you broke off its legs, and lets assume we can adjust the size of the portal on the wall, I'm certain that portal gun can do more then that computer lets on.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
What Joldo said.
If you could adjust the size of the portal then as soon as the portal on the table met the portal on the wall it would just stop going in.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing as when you try to shoot one portal into another portal - the portal just poofs out of existence.

They're rather fragile.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's guaranteed to crash your computer 50% of the time.

Edited to add:

In all seriousness, though, I think this is a branch of (what dantes correctly described as a loose definition of) physics that very few people could begin to make an educated statement about. Any number of things could happen.

[ March 02, 2008, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: adfectio ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing that happens if you put a portable hole in a bag of holding.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
You appear on Mount Olympus in an attempt to stop a war between the Apollyons and the Dionysians.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Impact...

Apollyons vs Dionysians?
I grok you.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I grok you.
Hey! This is a family forum! [Eek!]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
In all seriousness, though, I think this is a branch of (what dantes correctly described as a loose definition of) physics that very few people could begin to make an educated statement about.

Nonsense. I is highly edjumacated, with letters behind my name and all, in physics no less, and I am about to make a statement on the subject. To wit, "Do the experiment and see". Preferably giving warning first so I can get to a safe distance.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Same thing as when you try to shoot one portal into another portal - the portal just poofs out of existence.

They're rather fragile.

No, no, no. The universe turns inside out and ceases to exist.

KoM: Good luck getting to a safe distance away.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you think they get all the nifty yet lethal balls of energy.

'For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.'

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Now for the real physics mind buggary to think about. If Spengler shoots a stream through a portal on the wall and it comes out of the portal on the table and Venkmen crosses his stream with the one coming out of the table, will there still be a total protonic reversal?

If so, is it a chain reaction that will work it's way to one portal and fizzle, destroy another dimension, or continue it's path to the end of our dimension?

Physics majors discuss.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

A new universe would form using the foamy beer bubbles multiple universe model. After this new big bang all dark matter in the freshly minted universe would be staypuffed marshmallow.

'And the science gets done and we have a neat gun,
for the people who are still alive'

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Hmm..interesting. I forgot all about the fbnmum theory.

I see where you are going, I just can't work out the math.

*For all you non physics majors who are trying to understand these abstract concepts, it stands for "foamy bear newly minted universe model."*

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So the bears drank all the beer? What good is a Universe without any beer?
Actually if we were to accept OrangeRoom portals as givens, they would present some rather interesting problems in physics.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

Is orange side a different universe from blue?

One where Glados is good and Chell is bad. Where the combine are really benevolent. And most importantly, there really is a delicious and moist cake.

What about the drunk bears?

The answers to these questions will surely redefine life, the universe.. everything.

lem
Member # 6914

The bears are foamy because they are made in the bubble universe drenched in beer. I am not sure if they are drunk by osmosis or appetite, but they are important to the equation.

Edit bear to beer.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
freshly minted universe would be staypuffed marshmallow.
I'd prefer a cookies and cream universe. I don't like mint.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
*Laughs and walks away
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
We actually did this experiment in high school (it was AP Physics, so it was advanced). Because of budget constraints (public school funding being what it is), we could only make small portals -- big enough to send a lab rat through, but not a student. We had one portal at the opening of a Pyrex measuring cup, and the other one the teacher made on his blackboard.

We sent things like 5 gram weights from blackboard to measuring cup and measuring cup to blackboard, weighing them before and after to see if the mass was affected (it wasn't). We put a lighted match in the blackboard portal, but it came through the Pyrex cup extinguished. The lab rat came through unscathed, though, either from cup to board or board to cup.

But, at the end of the class, when we put the Pyrex cup through the portal in the blackboard, the cup shattered -- well, really exploded like a grenade, sending razor-sharp pieces of glass ricocheting off the walls of the classroom. That was one time that we really appreciated this teacher's insistence that everyone wear those dorky safety goggles.

A couple of kids got sent to the nurse's office for lacerations, but they just needed band-aids, and were back in class.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*blink* Was your teacher named Dr. Apeture?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, he was Mr. Newton. No kidding. Not only that, he was uncommonly fig-shaped.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the portals are one sided, that is, they can only be accessed from one side (why else would they be “on a wall” and “on a table” respectively?)

Therefore, when asking the question, it is important to indicate two things:

1) We need to know what the correspondence between the points of the two portals are, that is, for each entry point in one, what the emerging point is on the other. This would be a function between the two sets of points (supposing the points to be reciprocal), and any symmetry, rotation, or whatever transformation is crucial for the theoretical analysis of this “thought experiment”.

2) The orientation of the portal on the table, with respect to the one on the wall, at the moment of contact. The possible angle range would be from 0, that is, parallel to the wall, the active side of the table facing the active side of the wall, to 180 degrees, that is, parallel to the wall, but facing “away”.

BTW, this is more a problem of topology (i.e. geometry) than “physics”. [Smile]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not only that, he was uncommonly fig-shaped.
[ROFL] [Hail]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I mean about interesting problems. eg What happens to the portal if ya burn the table or tear down the wall? Do you get a one-sided object hanging in mid-air? What the heck does a one-sided object look like? How does the "backside" interact with physical objects if the portal doesn't have a backside?

Is the edge of an unbacked portal more than razor-sharp? Heck of a booby-trap. And just the razor-effect combined with portaling would be one HECK of a NASTY offensive weapon if an unbacked portal can be moved.

And move in relationship to what? eg A wall-backed portal is already moving due to the planet's rotation and orbit around its sun, its sun's revolution around the galaxy, etc...

If ya put the transmitting portal on the first floor and the receiving portal on the second floor, then push an object through the first floor portal, where is the higher potential energy of the object now on the second floor coming from?

If you put the ceiling portal directly above the floor portal, have you created a perpetual motion machine? If gravity works between the two portals, you've created a perpetual motion machine that also generates nearly as much power as you want: the limiting factors being the mass&density of the object transiting between the two portals plus the density of the air / purity of the vacuum surrounding the two portals plus the local gravity.
eg Take a solid tungsten pole nearly as wide as the portal and slightly taller than the height between the floor and the ceiling. Shove one end through the floor portal, then cut the top of the pole so that it will meet the bottom of the pole protruding from the ceiling portal. Weld the two ends together and let go.
Soon the pole is falling at hypersonic speed between portals. And heating from air resistance due to the pole's exterior interacting with the atmosphere. Shortly, the pole is producing white hot light burning everything even somewhat near the portals. Heating further, the spectrum shifts into the ultraviolet region, first melting then vaporizing the metal surface into an ionized plasma that'd destroy the room entirely.
Admittedly, ultraviolet is kinda unlikely cuz the tungsten surface would furiously burn in the air before reaching that temperature. But let's say that just before the pole melts, you fire the portal gun at the floor portal eliminating that portal.
!!!KABOOM!!! The pole hitting the floor has just caused an explosion which obliterates the OrangeRoom complex.

If gravity doesn't work between paired portals, the paired portals are an anti-gravity machine...which is even nastier.

[ March 03, 2008, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

As most of you are probably aware, there is a game called Portal which inspired all of this. A few links in example. Spoilerish for those who still want to play Portal.

Developer walkthrough

level 13 with a little Portal tomfoolery

more gameplay

In the game portals dissapate if the surface moves. Additionally, a portal cannot be made through another portal. So by the rules in the halflife universe, making one portal and then trying to move it through another is not possible.

So if we were to consider two portals in theory what would our rules be?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.