FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Son of the Starfighter"?

Author Topic: "Son of the Starfighter"?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
There's what seems to be legitimate buzz that The Last Starfighter is getting a sequel.

Not sure how I feel about this. It's one of the cheesiest of the attempts to jump on the Star Wars bandwagon. We have Professor Harold Hill from outer space, an entire trailer park interested in the high score on an arcade machine, a big bad who waves a truly ridiculous secret weapon/crystal scepter combo around, and abundant android duplicate humor.

On the other hand, it has a sort of goofy charm -because- of those cheesy elements.

If they do it, they ought to do it with only the low rent CGI and makeup the original film had.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. I loved it too.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
But then it won't be the Last Starfighter!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
No, for all that is holy, NO!

Sequels... BAD!

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't starfighting have become obsolete once it was proven that spinning around in a circle shooting laser beams in all directions can wipe out an entire armada?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it as a kid. I remember thinking that getting really good at video games would somehow amount to more than lost quarters and stunted social skills.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by prolixshore:
Wouldn't starfighting have become obsolete once it was proven that spinning around in a circle shooting laser beams in all directions can wipe out an entire armada?

But only if they're in Death Blossom range.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yes!
I own this on dvd.
The story has been begging for a sequel forever.
I can't wait!!!!

After all... the Frontier is down, Xur escaped, and there is still danger.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how it can live up to the greatness of the original, but I'll give it a chance.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember thinking that getting really good at video games would somehow amount to more than lost quarters and stunted social skills.
How did that work out for you? [Razz]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as time passes more and more people seem to think that way, and the 'stunted social skills' part is at least lessened by commonality, hehe.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
For his 40th birthday, my dad got an old Defender machine from back before I was born. He was apparently REALLY good back then--but over one summer (right around when N64 came out), I took over all the high scores. He was very proud of me [Smile] And people who watched me were impressed. Thus started my adolescent career in being awkward, geeky, and VERY good at video games. I was the best at a few of them--Super Smash Brothers, Super Monkey Ball(beat every level on expert)--I could beat Mario 1 in just over 5 minutes (like the speed runs you see on youtube today).

In the end, it's definitely amounted to countless hours of my life gone with nothing to show for it. I stopped playing video games seriously around sophomore year of college. Oddly enough, that roughly coincided with an increased ability to talk to girls, make friends, and not be awkward in public. I also got much more serious in my piano study, and I'm happy for that.

I think I developed some very valuable skills from video games (like being able to neurotically practice piano for hours and hours), but my honest opinion is that the video game age has taken away our ability to build things in the real world. We've lost an important connection with nature and the sun and other people.

I still sit at my computer wayyy to much. [Smile] Oh well.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

Sequels... BAD!

The Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were bad? [Cool]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I don't see how it can live up to the greatness of the original, but I'll give it a chance.

They ought to make it a musical.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
They could make it Son of the Last Starfighter and it's about a kid who's dad is a guy with no quarters and sparse social skills, who's mom got tired of and left, and the kid supplements his SSI check with a paper route, going to the store to buy mushroom soup and Grape Nuts, which they eat in one dish.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm skeptical of how good this'll be. I'm imagining massive CGI and a ridiculous plot. Thinly ridiculous as the plot was in the first one, I think it was the two main characters that made it watchable. The fact that it was memorable was probably because I saw it when I was like six for the first time and I thought a lot of stuff was cool then that I still think is cool probably only because I thought it was cool back then.

I'd have to see who they get to play the roles and what the plot is, but I neither like or dislike this as of now.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the parts of it I glimpsed when I was visiting someone who had cable featured the robot imposter.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Launchywiggin : You were just before your time. Now kids are making 6-figure incomes as pro gamers. If you could transfer those mad skillz to Halo 3 and Gears of War, you could actually make some money.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love this movie. But I imagine most of that love is due to thinking it was the coolest thing ever as a child, and nostalgia.

I can only imagine how bad a sequel would be.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

Sequels... BAD!

The Empire Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were bad? [Cool]
No...but The Temple of Doom was.

Edit:

For my part, I liked the original movie. In a way, it reflects some of the premise of Ender's Game, that being that the "game" is more real than it would otherwise seem to be. Yes, the story is flimsy, yes, the final solutions are flimsy (death blossom and the collision with the moon...apparently a *very* small moon, at that, with what should have been a correspondingly small gravity well), but there were many good things in the movie. I think the three main characters (Alex, Centuari and Griggs) made it work, as another poster said.

Boy...it's kind of sad that I remember the characters' names without having to think all that hard, when the last time I saw the movie was ages ago.

A sequel? It could work, given a number of things. One would have to build from the assumption that the audience hadn't seen the original. It's not like Star Wars or Indiana Jones, which had huge fan bases already. But this starting point lets the creators have a great increase of flexibility in what they can do with creating a stronger story element. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

[ March 03, 2008, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: BandoCommando ]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, people say that, but I have no idea why someone would dislike Temple of Doom -- especially compared to the Last Crusade.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You know, people say that, but I have no idea why someone would dislike Temple of Doom -- especially compared to the Last Crusade.

In Temple of Doom, Indiana's character was different. They gave him the lame catchphrase "for Fortune and Glory" and an enemy and setting that wasn't easy for the audience to relate to.

The other two film have an easy Icon of Evil to set Indy against (Nazis) and the character seems less motivated by personal gain than by more grave, external motivations: Love, Honor, Country, the Pursuit of Knowledge, Respect for Antiquity ("this belongs in a museum"), etc.

In Doom I think they just wanted Indiana to be less of a quick-thinking rogue arcaeologist than an easily-marketed whip-swinging swashbuckler with neato catch-phrases. There's some of it in the other films too, but it always seemed really obvious to me in Doom.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

While I feel the plotting of the films is about the same, I feel The Last Crusade had better scripting.

Not that I dislike Temple of Doom, I just like the other film more.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Temple of Doom, Indiana's character was different.
It was a prequel, wasn't it? I always figured that his decision to finally act on behalf of the village is what softened him up a bit for the later films.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the funniest news I've heard in a long time.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
It was a prequel, wasn't it? I always figured that his decision to finally act on behalf of the village is what softened him up a bit for the later films.

From Wiki:
quote:
Set in 1935, a year before Raiders of the Lost Ark,
I never knew that. I had always assumed it was the sequel to Raiders. I'll have to watch it again and see if that perspective changes my opinion of the film.

Still, it doesn't fit with the early scenes with River Phoenix as young Indiana in Crusade.

Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
You know, people say that, but I have no idea why someone would dislike Temple of Doom -- especially compared to the Last
I didn't really like it as a child, but I've grown to appreciate it a lot over the years. I still rank it third of the Indy movies, but it's a respectable third.

And how can you not love Short Round?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
You know, people say that, but I have no idea why someone would dislike Temple of Doom -- especially compared to the Last
I didn't really like it as a child, but I've grown to appreciate it a lot over the years. I still rank it third of the Indy movies, but it's a respectable third.

I'd call it a respectable third as well. Doom certainly is better than many other sequels out there.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Wake me up when they do a sequel to Ice Pirates.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

A friend made me watch that once. I still haven't forgiven him.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there is also going to be a new Tron.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

In my head, Ice Pirates is like a sequel to Tron. It's that good.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I think introducing either Crusade or Doom as evidence that sequels don't suck is patently wrong, considering both are inferior to the first. The first movie had the right balance of adventure (changing locations), excitement (great fight/chase scenes), and characters that we really cared about, like Marion and Sallah. It also had the best use of humor without detracting from the realness of the danger.

Doom fell shorter in every category. It became an average knockoff of the formula of the first--a silly thrill ride instead of a story. Crusade was better, but mostly I remember a bunch of gags instead of a great story.

Sure, they're all good, fun, action--but the later films don't improve on the first, which is frustratingly disappointing.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I think introducing either Crusade or Doom as evidence that sequels don't suck is patently wrong, considering both are inferior to the first.

"patently wrong"?

It's so obvious that Crusade is a bad sequel that I shouldn't have even brought it up?

I genuinely think it's a great movie, one that never fails to catch my attention and hold it. I also think it had a good story.

"Realness of the danger"...in the first film? I have to disagree. I recall quite vividly that film had no end of unrealistic pulp tropes in every action piece and abundant gags used to defuse the tense moments.

Which was only being true to the source material.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

I never said it wasn't a great movie, I said it was inferior to the first.

Compare the films in terms of tone, and the first takes itself more seriously than the latter two.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Achilles:

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
A friend made me watch that once. I still haven't forgiven him.

I don't know, it's hard not to have a little affection for a movie where Anjellica Houston gets to play a badass.

Regarding Dr. Jones: Doom felt much grimmer and more violent to me than Raiders. And the heroine was such a huge, shrieky let-down from Marion that having a female lead who turned out to be a traitor was actually a step up. ToD had some great action pieces and sets, but to me, it falls well below the other two.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Speaking of sequels that didn't suck:

Terminator 2 (WAY better than the original, IMO)
Back to the Future 2
Empire Strikes Back (as puffy mentioned)
Aliens
The Godfather Part 2
Jaws 2 (arguably...)

Anyone have any to add?

Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:

From Wiki:
quote:
Set in 1935, a year before Raiders of the Lost Ark,
I never knew that. I had always assumed it was the sequel to Raiders. I'll have to watch it again and see if that perspective changes my opinion of the film.

Still, it doesn't fit with the early scenes with River Phoenix as young Indiana in Crusade.

That clears up a lot. I always thought Temple of Doom was first, and then I was completely baffled when I found out it was second. Turns out I was right all along. [Smile]

I really liked The Last Starfighter as a kid. I should find it and watch it again.

In 25-30 years, there will probably be sequels and remakes of all the movies coming out right now. I wouldn't be surprised if in 7 years, they do a remake of Back to the Future with Doc played by Johnny Depp. (just kidding) [Smile]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Anyone have any to add?

At least one of the Star Trek or Bond sequels has got to be rated higher than the very originals. There are also Once Upon a Time in China II, Drunken Master II, and Police Story 3 movies.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Please don't wake me up when they do a sequel to The Goonies.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

re: sequels

The Road Warrior
Rocky II

along with the others already mentioned.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Hello, Cinderella 3.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Anyone have any to add?

At least one of the Star Trek or Bond sequels has got to be rated higher than the very originals. There are also Once Upon a Time in China II, Drunken Master II, and Police Story 3 movies.
Oy! How could I have left off some of the Star Treks!!! (2, 4, 6, and 8, to be specific..(who de we appreciate?)) And James Bond is definitely a winning franchise.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.