FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some of the most original rap I've heard

Author Topic: Some of the most original rap I've heard
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The Streets has been around for several years now, but I just heard about him through my roommate. His birth name is Mike Skinner, and that's how I'll be referring to him because using "The Streets" as a singular noun reads weirdly to me. The album I've mostly listened to is A Grand Don't Come for Free.

He's unlike anything I've heard before. The beats are simple and laid back and very listenable. Skinner's flow is...strange. His verses feel like they *almost* can't find a downbeat. The choruses tend to more closely resemble what's normally thought of as rap. Its like something between poetry and storytelling in intonation.

That's appropriate though, because what Skinner does is tell stories. The subject matter ranges from the mundane (a to-do list that he fails to accomplish) to the angsty (his girl left him) but is successful because of his skill in painting a compelling picture. Other voices in his songs are often used as supporting characters.

If you're a fan of hip hop (or even if you're not) give this a try.

A sample of Dry Your Eyes (There's a couple of F-bombs midway through that song.)

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
British people rapping sounds funny. Though, Australian rappers are funnier.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fan of The Streets for a while. It makes me wish I had a cool british accent.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
He is ok, but his rhyme scheme is too simplistic. Dry Your Eyes is a good song though.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:

He's unlike anything I've heard before.

Then, boy do you need to listen to more hip hop [Wink]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Original? Yes.

Great? No.

Good? Well... I guess He's ok.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I probably do need to listen to more hip hop. I've been trying to teach myself the guitar, so most of what I've been listening to lately has been acoustic songs I can try and learn.

If you've any suggestions, I'd love to hear em. My tastes usually run towards J5, Outkast, Mos Def & Talib, those types of things. I'm open to new sounds.

quote:
British people rapping sounds funny. Though, Australian rappers are funnier.
Ever hear Korean or Japanese rap?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hmmm what would help me give suggestions is what your tastes *don't* run towards. I am having a hard time finding a commonality between what you mentioned [Smile]

edit: let's pretend that's all proper English, I'm half asleep as I post!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm willing to give most things a listen. Anything that wouldn't be on MTV or BET would probably be cool. Most gangster stuff just annoys me. I've given most mainstream stuff a listen though, so no need to tell me that The Roots are awesome (for example). [Smile]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Maybe you should try Binary Star or One Be Lo . They are very similiar to Mos and Kweli, but with much more laid back beats. One Be Lo's album SONOGRAM is still one of my favorite CDs ever.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I'm checking out Deceptacons right now. I like it - any songs particular favorites of yours?
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Rocketship is good if you want to hear some nice battle raps with a nonstop flow. Also E.T., Oggie, and Used 2 Be Fly.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, we used to play The Streets a lot a few years back at the comic shop I worked at. I enjoy the British rapping...ever hear Lady Sovereign? She's so tiny and rude, but another case of a UK accent working out just fine for hip hop.

Japanese rap is fun [Smile]

Now french and swedish rap, that's just ridiculous.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Sage Francis, for one recommendation.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

OK I'll steal the Youtube idea. Warning: probably a bit of language across all these links.

One of my very favorites: Aesop Rock

And basically all of the Def Jux label:

El-P (one of my favoritest songs ever)

Gotta love Mr. Lif

And others:

Cadence Weapon (poor sound quality on the vid tho)

Roots Manuva!

Saul Williams

Ok and just list of guys you might like better, all a little more "normal": Tribe Called Quest, The Roots (are amazing), Brother Ali, Sage Francis, Wu Tang Clan, Atmosphere, Cannibal Ox, Classified, Blackalicious, Dilated Peoples, Moka Only, Sole

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Darn, EmpS beat me to Sage f., I took so long Youtubing [Big Grin]
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I've heard of both Lady Sovereign and Sage Francis, though only in passing. I'll be sure to check 'em both out.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Darn, EmpS beat me to Sage f., I took so long Youtubing [Big Grin]

I'm the same person as Emp, Myr. Where are you on AIM?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I was WONDERING!!
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Dr. Octagon's Dr. Octagonecologyst was a great album too.
I thought you guys would like to hear this as well: The Roots' latest single from 'Rising Down' (Beware Black Thought says the n-word at least a billion times in this song for some reason.)

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohhh I forgot about Dr. Octagon! He makes me laugh.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

And thanks for the Roots link, I had no idea they had an album coming out soon! Exciting, I'd like to hear more!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.