FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Get Smart

Author Topic: Get Smart
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still undecided. I like Steve Carell. The trailers look like they're handling the expected "Maxwell Smart" tropes fairly well - Cone of Silence, general incompetence, incredible luck, etc - without making them obvious "Look! That was from the show! Hah? Hah? Funny?" gags. But will this be an Addams Family or a new Pink Panther?

I loved the Addams Family show and I thought the (first two) Addams Family movies were perfect examples of how to redo beloved characters. They took the elements of the show that absolutely worked and expanded on them in delighful ways. You could tell that the makers of the movies "got" the show and really understood the appeal of the characters. The Pink Panther remake was just sad.

What do you guys think? And which remake movies do you think have worked?

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to Get Smart. Of course, the main thing I remember about the TV show was the opening and closing credits.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
It will be the second silliest movie I've ever seen.

Would you believe that 20,000 ravenous fans are already in line to see this movie. Would you believe it?

Would you believe 1000 interested reviewers?

Would you believe one little old lady from Cleveland and her nine cats?

Actually, I think it will be close to a good movie, but miss it be that much.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really looking forward to Get Smart. I don't think I've ever seen enough of the original show to be too bothered by diversions from it. But I love Steve Carell and this looks exactly like my type of movie -- lots of slap stick.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the "missed it by that much" line in the trailer. I've seen a few episodes of the original, but a lot of my familiarity is from the movie Get Smart, Again!, which I really liked.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
At the top of my list of remakes that worked for me is John Carpenter's "The Thing". That rocked.

I really enjoyed "Always" starring Richard Dreyfus and Holly Hunter. In fairness, though, I have never seen the Frank Capra original.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
I really enjoyed "Always" starring Richard Dreyfus and Holly Hunter. In fairness, though, I have never seen the Frank Capra original.

That was a remake?!? News to me...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
the original, which, again, I haven't seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035959/

Edit to add: it appears I was wrong about it being a Capra film, though.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it off of TCM a few weeks ago. The original was OK, a bit overly WWII Patriotic, but not dumbed down. The hero wasn't perfect and the girl wasn't pure and innocent.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
It will be the second silliest movie I've ever seen.

Would you believe that 20,000 ravenous fans are already in line to see this movie. Would you believe it?

Would you believe 1000 interested reviewers?

Would you believe one little old lady from Cleveland and her nine cats?

Okay, seven cats? Three cats?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Carell. And Hathaway (purrrrr). I'm a little concerned that the second preview suggested a much more action-y kind of movie than I was anticipating.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
One interview with Carell suggested they talked about a Bourne-type movie, only with Maxwell Smart dropped into it.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch the show all the time when I was a kid. Back when it wasn't in reruns, even. I loved it. Hated the Get Smart movie they made back in the late 70s.

There haven't been a lot of movies made from old TV shows that haven't stunk badly. The Avengers (which I also used to watch when it was first on) probably ties with The Wild, Wild West (ditto) for the worst. Both movies made me want to tear my eyes out.

But this Get Smart trailer makes it look like fun. If they can just have fun, and not worry about getting all deep and authentic, or making fun of the source material (like the Brady Bunch movies), it might be worthwhile.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to this one. I think Steve Carrell can give it the deadpan delivery it needs, if only they can just write him a decent script. I think it has a lot of potential.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this trailer, and several others, before Semi-Pro the other day, and they all looked really funny.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
They took the elements of the show that absolutely worked and expanded on them in delighful ways. You could tell that the makers of the movies "got" the show and really understood the appeal of the characters.

Remember though...The Addams Family films drew as much inspiration from the very morbid, brilliant original cartoons of Charles Addams as much as they did from the goofier, frothier sitcom. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of sitcoms being described as "goofier," but..."frothier"??

What's next..."puffier"?

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I'm looking forward to this one. I think Steve Carrell can give it the deadpan delivery it needs, if only they can just write him a decent script. I think it has a lot of potential.

I agree. I think provided the proper script that Steve Carrell could, and probably will, carry the movie into an infinitely more watchable and enjoyable realm than if he wasn't in the film. His performance in The Office gives me reason to believe he can do the source material justice while also bringing something delightfully new to the table. Plus, he's hilarious.

Edit to Add:

I also really want to see one of his more recent movies Dan in Real Life. And his performance in the movie Little Miss Sunshine was fantastically subdued.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boothby171:
What's next..."puffier"?

Get it? Because it was written by me! [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally reaching American theaters, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
They took the elements of the show that absolutely worked and expanded on them in delighful ways. You could tell that the makers of the movies "got" the show and really understood the appeal of the characters.

Remember though...The Addams Family films drew as much inspiration from the very morbid, brilliant original cartoons of Charles Addams as much as they did from the goofier, frothier sitcom. [Smile]
Actually, for copyright purposes, they drew their inspiration entirely from the original cartoons. Well, except for the names. And the theme song. And Cousin Itt. But never mind that... [Wink]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.