FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any CSS coders in here? A call for help

Author Topic: Any CSS coders in here? A call for help
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to work on a project for my authoring for the web project. We have an index XHTML file that we are modifying through the use of CSS. I'm having a really rough time of it, but there is a way that you can help out.

go to

http://svu5.svu.edu/~braydencluff

once you are there, click on the CSSZen link and it will take you to the project that I'm working on. On the project's page you can look at the "The CSS" link to see what I've done so far.

It's killing me trying to get my menu in a horizontal line across the top with the background images.

Any help would be welcome.

P.S. This isn't spam, and I'm getting really sick of people whistling on my non-spam.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
First tip, add this to your CSS...

ul{
list-style-type:none;
}

This will get rid of the bullets, which is a big part of what is messing up your alignment. I'm having to remember some of this stuff by redoing some old research on CSS, so try this and we'll work from there [Big Grin] If you want bullets, I'll need to dig a little.

edit: Gotta tell you. Pick a new background image, or do without one (I prefer the latter, the page looks better without it, actually). A 3MB image file is a *BAD* web design background choice. Further, it's ugly and clashes, making the page hard as heck to look at, much less read through.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Before that, even, correct your XHTML validation errors. There are some big ones.

Then, read this article: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

The problem is that we started out with a different index page. Then the professor supplied us with a new index file with added tags and such. So while it looked good on the original, when I attached the style sheet to the new it's been a nightmare to clean up.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

This is the original background color, as you can see it rounds out the corners of the banner.

edit- Would it work to change the h2 tags hidden and then insert graphics for the topic headings?

edit again- the gaps in the top menu are driving me crazy!

fugu13
Member # 2859

The page is badly malformed. If your professor provided the source for the page as we see it now, he's badly incompetent, unless you're also supposed to fix that (which you should).

From there, read the list apart article. You can get where you want to go very quickly by starting from one of the examples.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

He's not so much incompetent as I am.

You can check out his two versions of our assignment at

http://svu5.svu.edu/~paulcheney

then check out his CSS Zen pages. With the vertical and the horizontal menus.

We both had the same source pages, I just suck.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Okay, the page he provided is actually slightly different, and only has two big (but stupid) errors on it. One is probably laziness (no character encoding), and one is fumbly fingers, most likely (no closing head tag). He should have validated.

Your page has somewhat different HTML, and one additional big error. Take a look at the a tag you added in one of the menu items. Or just run it through the validator.

AFTER you have fixed all the html errors, go read the a list apart article. Learn from it. Start by applying the CSS from one of their inline examples to your page, adapting as necessary, and then slowly modify it.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu is wise.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

Well, my class starts in half an hour so right now I'm going by the "if it's not <i>too</i> broke, don't bother fixing it."

I'd really like to try to clean up the code, but what's killing me right now is the gaps in the menu.

ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to weigh in with another /agree fugu.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I feel really stupid now for not following your advice earlier.

All I did was hit the clean up XHTML command and it's good.
[Wall Bash] Why do I not listen?

[ March 06, 2008, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Philosofickle ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.