FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me! Industrial Vs. Non-industrial

Author Topic: Help Me! Industrial Vs. Non-industrial
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, to start out, i suck at almost anything that is history. Yet i got into an Honors History class and we were recently assigned a project where we must discuss two countries, one industrialised, and one not. Between 1790-1900.

So does anyone have any ideas? for what countries would compare well, how i might be able to make a presentation of this, and anything else that might help me.

It's also my final and worth 50% of my 2nd semester grade.

Any help is apprecitated, thanks in advanced.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Britain and China.

Have fun! [Wave]

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
America in 1790 and America in 1900.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Sit down and work very hard. This is a big part of your grade.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:
Britain and China.

I was thinking Britain and India. Then you have the added colonization angle.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

The British-Indian relationship is probably much more complicated than what Xann is looking for. But it is probably more interesting too. [Smile]
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

I have months to work on this, i don't really have a limit for what to write about.

But i am liking mr_porterio_head's idea, cause really i just need something that would be different from everone else's projects. Thats normally the first thing i go for.

Like my paper on napoleon, as in the book memories.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

I would be careful here. This is the Industrial Revolution so no country is really industrialized in 1790 save some particular industries in Britain. I suspect your instructor wants a comparative study of a country that makes the transition successfully and one that does not. Doing the history of just one might be exactly half of what is required.
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well every class we need to update her on what we are working on so i'll just run it by her tueday
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that the assignment covers the period between 1790 and 1900.

eg Japan stopped all but the most superficial trade with the West between 1635 and 1854. Even then it took until 1869 before there was a government in-place which recognized the need for industrialization.
Due to that late start (and other factors such as the slow shift from feudal mores to capitalist mores), Japanese industrial production was vastly behind that of the US. ie Even though Japan's population was 5/9ths of the US population in 1940, Japan had less than 1/18th of the industrial production of the US.....and even less industrial capacity. US industrial productivity per person was at least 10times that of Japan's.
Hence AdmiralYamamoto's "I fear we have awakened the sleeping giant, and filled him with terrible resolve." after PearlHarbor. With US industrial production 18to20 times that of Japan's, everyone who was both informed and sane believed that Japan was gonna get a MAJOR butt-spankin'. The only question was how soon and how bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Basicly the same thing happened to the South due to slavery, then JimCrow. Except unlike the Japanese leadership, the Southern aristocracy (either inbred-to-idiocy, suffering from FetalAlcoholSyndrome, or both) dint larn nothin' from the CivilWar or from the Reconstruction*. And the South remained an economic backwater little different from PRI Mexico and similar dictatorships until after the CivilRightsAct of 1964 was made into law and enforced.

* Those carpetbaggers (as "SouthernHeritageHistory" so quaintly labeled them) brought with them the greatest period of economic growth the South had ever experienced. Which ended when Federal troops were pulled out in 1877.

[ March 10, 2008, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.