FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm now a measly little white belt without an actual belt

Author Topic: I'm now a measly little white belt without an actual belt
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I paid my Sifu today so I'm officially enrolled in Shaolin-Do Kung Fu. Unfortunately, it took me three weeks to save up the money so as for now, I'm going to class in work-out clothes. I'm dying for my refund check so that I can buy my uniform (a "Gi"). I don't quite feel like a white belt yet without it. The classes aren't expensive but sales are down at the bookstore so payroll took a massive hit.

Anyway, I've actually been attending for a week already. I went to a tournament last month in Austin with my boyfriend and got to meet his teacher who kindly told me to come to class until I had the money.

I got started because my boyfriend thought it would be a cool thing for us to share together. I wasn't too sure about it but the more we talked about it, the more I realized it would be good for me. I'm sort of passive and by-the-books so something like sparring, which requires aggression and quick decisive action, is totally kicking my butt. I'm covered in bruises earned by my own ineptitude.

As for everything else, I'm doing okay. One of the brown belts who was working with us on sparring techniques immediately pegged me for a dancer. I danced all through high school and college which gives me a edge with my flexibility, body awareness, and ability to memorize choreographed movements. But its still weird kicking with the intent of hitting someone, not just looking pretty.

My favorite bit is just the workout. I put on some weight after moving back in with my parents (no longer living on cereal twice a day like I did in college.) After a week, I already feel stronger and my endurance is better. I may even feel little muscles beginning to form in my arms. haha. And the exercise is already helping to curb my anxiety.

So are there any other students of the martial arts here? What do you study? Does the excitement you have as a beginner wear off? My boyfriend has gotten seriously obsessed and trains with his bo staff everyday and wants to spar all the time. I'm trying to be more chill so I don't burn out and get bored like I do with most new things I try.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit after I got my yellow belt.
I'm not flexible so I wasn't any good at it.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!
I want to take kung fu or samurai arts but the kung fu place moved.
it's a long walk from where I live and since i have no loot.

ooo, but when I get some dough, i want to learn how to be a samurai!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tufel Hunden
Member # 11514

- posted      Profile for Tufel Hunden   Email Tufel Hunden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tan belt in MCMAP (the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) and it's been my experience that learning a new technique is always exciting and while practicing the same technique over and over again can get mildly repetetive (how often can you really throw a lead-hand punch before you get bored with it?) Learning something new will always rekindle your enthusiasm.

Our Black Belt Instructors teach us some things from the more advanced syllabuses every now and then and I remember the first time we learned how to disarm an opponent with a gun pointed at your back the whole group stayed a half hour extra just to practice it.

I bet it's going to be something you'll enjoy, and if nothing else it's a lot more fun than going to the gym and lifting weights or running!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wish to learn some martial arts as well sometime after I gain an indepedent means of income and transportation. However I have yet to choose which one, I want a martial art that for hand to hand combat incorperates a "visual" style as in pleasing to watch but also serves a practical purpose of say neutralizing an opponant quickly. For sword arts Iaidō/Iaijutsu/Battōjutsu is what I aim for since philosphically it matches my view on how the sword should be used. However to garantee the fight won on the first draw is naive as such I do not wish to neglect learning Kenjutsu when the time comes, for now I read of these arts and talk to my friends who do take them and await the day eagerly when i can take them.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tufel Hunden:
I'm a tan belt in MCMAP (the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) and it's been my experience that learning a new technique is always exciting and while practicing the same technique over and over again can get mildly repetetive (how often can you really throw a lead-hand punch before you get bored with it?) Learning something new will always rekindle your enthusiasm.

Our Black Belt Instructors teach us some things from the more advanced syllabuses every now and then and I remember the first time we learned how to disarm an opponent with a gun pointed at your back the whole group stayed a half hour extra just to practice it.

I bet it's going to be something you'll enjoy, and if nothing else it's a lot more fun than going to the gym and lifting weights or running!

That sounds totally cool.

And BTW, welcome! [Smile] Feel free to start a thread to tell us more about yourself.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember joining a Tae Kwon Do dojo with an orange belt during middle school. I was pretty psyched, and a little scared too because the class was made up of young adults to some older people, with all belt ranges. The instructor instantly pegged me for the stupid, loud watched-too-much-tv type, so my first sparring match was against a black belt, a regional champion or something. He was taller than me, but far, far thinner. I foolishly thought my greater weight would be an advantage. I rushed him, and he elegantly sliding side kicked me in the stomach. I swear, I flew back a good couple of feet. I couldn't breath for like 5 minutes... thought I was gonna die. Never rushed like an idiot again... >_>

It was pretty fun. Made some friends, had a little crush on one of the sexy femme fatales (who could kick my butt). Memorizing forms was a drag. Sparring was the funnest part, but also the most exhausting. I don't know why, but after a healthy jog and some weight lifting, I'm okay, but after sparring I could barely move. I totally understand those UFC fighting matches where, at the end, both fighters are barely throwing punches at each other. Fighting for an extended length of time is hard.

Don't train when you're tired! I was practicing spinning hook kicks after 2 hours of sprints and sparring, and I misplaced my planted foot and fractured my ankle in two places. Not pleasant!

[Edit: Whether or not you get bored depends a lot on your instructor, I learned. When I started out, from white belt, I got my yellow and orange belt from a martial arts program that my elementary school sponsored. It was okay, but the instructor was obviously not into it. It was basically community service to them, so I got bored with it. When I joined an actual dojo, with an experienced master that I both respected and feared, it was fun. The sort of, I-want-to-impress-him sort of thing.]

[ March 09, 2008, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Zhil ]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

I've found that martial arts doesn't get old quickly, to a large extent because going "I didn't know my body could do that! Cool!" doesn't get old quickly. It's kind of like discovering your inner superhero. [Smile]

Good luck with the classes.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the hardest part of martial arts is finding an instructor who matches your taste. My first Sifu always wanted to spar and train for the next belt. My second always wanted to get ready for the next tournament. I liked forms and stickyhands - a very controlled spar with no real contact. One attack, one block, back and forth.

Being passive and speaking up don't go well together, but don't be afraid to ask for more time doing what you love. You'll do the other stuff, too, but you should get time to practice what you enjoy.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing Taekwondo for 11 years and am a paid instructor in it for around 6 hours per week. As you can see it has never gotten old for me [Razz] . I plan to try some other martial art in college.

Hope you have fun [Smile]

Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I took Taekwondo for a year or so when I was a little kid. Made it up to green belt before my parents made me quit. They didn't want me sparring was the reason they gave at the time, but the real reason was that a friend of the family had screwed up joints and blamed it on karate he'd taken as a kid.

Either way, it's something I've always been grumpy at them for making me quit and have been meaning to get back into when I had the time and money. Your post reminded me just how much I wanted to get back into it, so I just called up a local dojo and inquired. I have an appointment for tomorrow to see if I fit their school (and if I can afford it...) [Big Grin]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Would being a 47 year old woman who's 200 lbs and out of shape be able to start something like this? My whole life I've wanted to, but circumstances got in the way and I never did. Is it too late to start? (Btw, I've lost 20 pounds over the past 2 months and am working on losing more.) [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a black belt in Kenpo Karate. I stopped after about 5 years and 4 tournaments. I loved the tournament aspect of Karate, because it gave me something to work towards for the rest of the year. I ended with a tourny record of 14-3 and placing in 3 of the 4 tournaments I entered. After I quit, one of my instructors suggested I move on to boxing and I've been boxing and wrestling ever since.

Karate was a really fun experience but I've always felt that they could do a better job of conditioning their students. The studio I attended didn't always leave me as tired as a lot of other sports did, and when the tournaments came I really suffered for it. Fighting 2-3 matches a day can really get to you if you haven't been conditioned as well as everyone else.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Karate or any other very "hard" style Asian arts are very hard on the knee joints, and European-descended people often don't have the necessary knee structure to handle it, long-term. I recommend softer arts, like xingyi, bagua, tai chi, etc. I know a lot of old white karate instructors who complain about knee problems.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there really a distinctively Asian knee structure?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What about African Knees?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
African Knees would be a good name for a band.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Would being a 47 year old woman who's 200 lbs and out of shape be able to start something like this? My whole life I've wanted to, but circumstances got in the way and I never did. Is it too late to start? (Btw, I've lost 20 pounds over the past 2 months and am working on losing more.)
Totally possible. Our instructor teaches tai-chi as well and just started a new session with several people older and more out of shape than you. At the recent tournament, I saw quite a few people grand-parent-age competing in kung-fu. There's this middle age black belt in Dallas who has a belly and doesn't look tough, but he's incredibly strong and flexible.

It wouldn't hurt to contact a few dojos and talk to the instructors. Ours is also a personal trainers and does free consultations. He's also really good to talk to about the various styles and finding the one that works best for you.

quote:
Karate was a really fun experience but I've always felt that they could do a better job of conditioning their students. The studio I attended didn't always leave me as tired as a lot of other sports did, and when the tournaments came I really suffered for it. Fighting 2-3 matches a day can really get to you if you haven't been conditioned as well as everyone else.
Another reason to probably try a bunch of places. While the conditioning has gotten easier for me as I get stronger, I still leave every class with my clothes completely soaked and I'm one of those people who doesn't really sweat. At my boyfriend's first tournament, he did eight sparring matches in a row. I thought he was going to pass out any second.

quote:
Karate or any other very "hard" style Asian arts are very hard on the knee joints, and European-descended people often don't have the necessary knee structure to handle it, long-term. I recommend softer arts, like xingyi, bagua, tai chi, etc. I know a lot of old white karate instructors who complain about knee problems.
That explains why I knew so many football players who had knee replacements in high school. My own knees are screwed up from dance. It seems like they're always the first things to go. But its possible to alter the movements and stretches to fit an old injury. So far the conditioning, kicks, and leg lifts are helping to strengthen the stabilizing muscles around my knees. I just back off or take it slow if I feel them strain.

I'm really starting to love my class. I drive almost an hour to get there but its so worth it. I caught myself doing front-kicks in the bathroom in front of the mirror at my bookstore. I haven't met many other teachers, but I still love my teacher. He's very calm and collected and yet very easy to talk to. He's so helpful and just has this aura that you can't help but respect and be impressed by.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"Is there really a distinctively Asian knee structure?"

You can research that. I don't even begin to remember where I read that. Probably a physical anthropologist would know where to look. I should have mentioned earlier that it's "East Asian", not "Asian"; it's an important distinction to make, because of the differences between the populations and their martial systems. It's also helpful to be aware that not all East Asian arts are especially hard on the knee joint.

Another issue, though, AFAIK, not the only, is that the East Asian grain-based diet makes smaller people. Your knees will probably tend to last longer if they're carrying a smaller load. This, however, doesn't seem to apply in the case of Koreans, many of whom are quite tall. The Koreans developed the ancestor arts of Tae Kwon Do/\Hapkido, which involve very low stances and very high jump kicks, which are fairly hard on the knee joint.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience the low stances are harder on the supporting musculature than on the joint itself... and they build it up. When I first started I had to wear braces on both knees (one of which was surgically repaired 15 years ago). Now, 8 years later I am about to turn 40 and rarely use them. Holding those low postures in form is an excellent leg workout, but be cautious-- it's very easy to over do it.

Sala, I take a particularly combative form of kung fu and we stress physical contact. We have an older woman (I'd say early to mid 50s) who was in fairly poor shape, has two bad knees, and who has been at it for three years and obtained her brown belt (one level below black). Now no one is kidding ourselves that she's going to go out and win a cage fight, but she gets a great deal out of the work and I have worked with her on occasion and it's a pleasure, if not an intense experience-- she's quite competent and dedicated.

So I'd say "yes, go for it."

Shanna, would you mind e-mailing me or linking the details of the competition? as another middle aged black belt from Dallas, it sounds like it'd be fun to jump in. What kind of competition? you mentioned sparring-- was there a fight competition as well? did they use san shou/san da rules?

I'd be interested in hearing the kind of sparring you guys do as well.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Another problem is that a lot of teachers don't know that placing weight on the heel when the front of your knee is farther forward than the end of your toes is very, very bad for the knee. A lesser problem is that people often hold kicks out in the air with the leg fully extended. This is fairly jolting to the knee, and serves little purpose. It basically just gives an experienced wrestler time to grab your leg and do harm, or allows someone who can do leg sweeps well to get in and sweep your standing leg.

I have beefs with how I was taught karate as a kid.

Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Shanna, would you mind e-mailing me or linking the details of the competition? as another middle aged black belt from Dallas, it sounds like it'd be fun to jump in. What kind of competition? you mentioned sparring-- was there a fight competition as well? did they use san shou/san da rules?
Sorry that I wrote Dallas, I don't know what I was thinking. I meant Austin. This is the school and its run by my teacher's teacher. Austin Shaolin-Do

I read some websites online that mention Shaolin schools in Dallas but I can't find any links and so I'm not sure if any of these schools are valid or just using the name.

As for the competition, it was hosted by the Austin Shaolin school which I believe does a tournament every six months. Alot of its students compete but it also pulls from alot of other schools in the region, including my own in New Orleans. You could likely call Master Joe to find out about coming independently. He's great and I'm sure he'd be eager to help.

They actually call it a "Festival" so it incorporates several different aspects instead of focusing on the competitions. But regarding the competitions, its fairly informal but a great experience. It broken down by age (kids, teens, and adults) and then by belt color (white and yellows together, blues and greens, the browns, and then the various degrees of black.) There were two parts to the competition. The demonstration of a form ("kata," empty or weapon) and the sparring. Several judges observed and scored and then awarded the medals. Then there was the sparring competition. The judges stood in a box around the ring and call out points in short timed matches (two points for kicks, one for punches.) As for the rules, I don't know. I wasn't competing myself. And they might vary for the higher belts. There's also a tai-chi competition but I didn't get to watch very much of it.

That night there were demonstrations from various classes and individuals who wanted to show off their favorite form. There was also the final matches for the black belts. Any new black belts, masters, and other big achievements were asked to stand and be recognized.

The big deal was that all of this was done in front of our Grandmaster. Its considered a big honor to demonstrate for him and he stays after to take pictures and autograph uniforms (he'll even write your name in Chinese on the back.) The second day of the festival he usually leads a seminar and the subject varies at each tournament. I think this year he did Golden Leopard.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha. I thought *you* were in Austin, but you were there for the competition.

Thanks for the info... I have a teacher in Dallas and am instructor under him, myself, so I wasn't so much looking for lessons as interested in the competition. We don't do competition within our art (we're not Shaolin, but a southern village style) and I was wondering how it was judged. I might try to come down there and do some form next time they hold it.

No throws in the sparring matches?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback! Now, to go check out the local instructors.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.