FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Radiohead – I just don’t get the music… (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Radiohead – I just don’t get the music…
Benito Mussolini
Member # 11522

- posted      Profile for Benito Mussolini           Edit/Delete Post 
Tarrsk- I find your opinion logical, reasonable, justifiable, and interesting. But I would like to pose, to you, a small inquiry. Ready, go:

Would you also say, then, that if you were to hear a song that is emotionally evocative to the point of bringing tears to your eyes or bringing a fist into existence that you would respect it? Does this pertain only to certain genres?

Or do you think that if a song were to be equal parts emotional, technical, musically challenging, and heavy that you could potentially find merit in a heavy metal song regardless of the mood? Or possibly in a techno-based song? Even possibly in the sub-genres of heavy metal commonly called screamo, metalcore, or hardcore?

As an aside:

I would also like to add that some Radiohead fans looking for something with more of a straight-ahead pop punk sound may be interested in paying further mind to a little band by the name of House of Heroes who also bring to mind comparisons to MUSE.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still have a problem with people who deny that an intellectual experience in music is impossible for them...
For my part, I don't claim that an intellectual experience with music is impossible for me -- only that I don't see the point. Music has several advantages over the printed word or visual arts, and almost all of them are emotional rather than intellectual. You can have an intellectual experience with music, but that's sort of like having a volleyball experience with a flounder.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I'm not going to sit here and enumerate all the reasons I've already mentioned many times why that's insulting.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benito Mussolini:
I haven't heard very much Radiohead music. But I find the song "Creep" to be endlessly annoying and whiny. I'm assuming that not all of their music is similar to this style of disturbingly whiny?

On a differing note, I really like the band Relient K.

- If I had interest in listening to Radiohead, what would be a good album with which to begin my exposure to their music?

First, welcome to the forum!

I'd have to recommend OK Computer. Electioneering is probably my preferred Radiohead song, and one of their most accessible.

But you like Relient K, and you think "Creep" is whiny? My head is literally exploding.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out if I should be insulted or not. I know Orincoro is [Smile]

The effort that goes into studying music history, theory, and learning an instrument--all of these are "intellectual" pursuits, right? Without those intellectual experiences, there is no music.

I know that the Greeks didn't think of music as "entertainment"--they treated it like a hard science--studied it like math. Definitely an intellectual approach.

Can't you have both an intellectual experience and an emotional experience with music at the same time?

*edit* Beat to the punch

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Benito Mussolini:
[QB]Would you also say, then, that if you were to hear a song that is emotionally evocative to the point of bringing tears to your eyes or bringing a fist into existence that you would respect it? Does this pertain only to certain genres?

I'm not sure "respect" is the right word. I don't "respect" the music- I respect the people who wrote and/or performed it. However, would I claim that either hypothetical song has value? Absolutely. They've both passed the test, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it's genre-specific, although certain genres do have a stronger "pull" than others.

quote:
Or do you think that if a song were to be equal parts emotional, technical, musically challenging, and heavy that you could potentially find merit in a heavy metal song regardless of the mood? Or possibly in a techno-based song? Even possibly in the sub-genres of heavy metal commonly called screamo, metalcore, or hardcore?
Oh, absolutely. I should probably note that I was somewhat oversimplifying in my previous post, for the purposes of clarity. While the emotional component is the only truly critical part of the musical experience for me, it is almost always enhanced and informed by the other attributes you describe. For example, as a guitar player myself, I have a sensitized appreciation for good guitar work, and as a result, songs that make effective use of guitars are more likely to evoke a response in me than songs with unimaginative guitar parts.

That being said, there's lots of exceptions- and this goes back to my original point, that it's the emotional content of the music that is the ultimate deciding factor for whether I like it or not. I'm a huge fan of punk music, for example, and god knows you won't find much in the way of guitar work there. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that it does take some skill to play as ridiculously fast as most punk guitarists do, and that punk drummers are often some of the best in the biz. But when it comes down to it, I like punk rock because, at its best, it has an energy and passion that hits me with the same intensity of feeling as the delicate vocal/ string counterpoint in "Faust Arp." The moods conveyed by punk versus "Faust Arp" are completely different, but the level of emotional response is similar, and so, I like 'em.

Incidentally, I'm not a huge metalhead, but there are plenty of metal songs that I like. I tend not to enjoy screamed vocals, unless they're used sparingly, so I'm not so much into death metal and the like, but I dig the odd Mastodon tune. [Wink]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.