FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music Suggestions, please

Author Topic: Music Suggestions, please
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Preface: try to not mock my musical taste too much, thanks

I am trying to find a lot of good 80s music in the vien of Cory Hart's Sunglasses at Night and Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl. Something with a distict 80s sound. Basically anything from the Rocky soundtrack would be right up my alley.

Does anyone know any artists in this genre that I may be overlooking?

Think of songs along the lines of Animotion's Obsession as a rubrick for your suggestions.

Think of those cheesy songs that always play at the end of action movies where the hero has just karate kicked the main bad guy in sumbission. Stuff like that.

Thanks

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Dire Straits. That is all.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Men at Work
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The Police
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thomas Dolby(one song): Blinded Me with Science

(I am sitting here with eyes closed, trying to remember songs played at frat parties.

Oh!

The B-52's

The Stray Cats

Chris de Burg

Michael Jackson's Thriller era

Janet Jackson

Other dance-oriented people, like Janet Jackson

Madonna, of course

Why are you making me feel so nauseous? Why???

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wang Chung

Oh, dear heavens, the bad memories are flooding in!

OK, there is one band I simply adored.

NRBQ (it was not them, still trying to think, here)

They were boppy, there was a song about coffee in bed. brb

Squeeze!

(shudder)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It was also a musical era when good bands got all cheezy. Billy Joel, for example. Springsteen also went out of my realm of love after The River, then redeemed himself with Nebraska, but it was never the same.

Even the Grateful Dead got all top 40 on us.

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
No lyrics so I don't know if this is what you're looking for.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Joel did some of my favorite 80s songs.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Of course, at the time, I was a huge Cyndi Lauper fan.

Apparently, according to family tradition, I learned my colors at 18 months from Cyndi Lauper's hair in various music videos watching MTV with my older sisters.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cyndi Lauper! There's another one!

Oh, and Annie Lenox.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, gosh, I love Annie Lenox-- with or without the Eurythmics. My sister was a huge fan-- she drew a portrait of Annie Lenox on her wall. Like, almost life size.

That was actually kinda creepy. When I got her room I put my dresser in front of it.

But yeah, some of the best 80s songs EVER are Annie Lenox or the Eurythmics.

"Walkin' on, walkin' on broken gla-ass..." My kids love that song, it makes them dance. And of course, "Sweet Dreams" is still hugely popular.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wait, weren't you, like, born in the 80's, KQ?

Oh! There was also Wham!

Oh, lord, they keep coming back. The guy with the big, blond, curly hair.

This was the era of MTV. I mean, the start of it. I remember watching the first music videos and thinking, Cool!

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There was some good music, too.
I loved Heart.
The Pretenders.
Mostly, it was the era of the One Hit Wonder.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama-Kamelion

Anything by Boy George.

99 Lufte Balloons (or anything by Nina)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, Dan, why did you have to do that?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

[innocent eyes] What? Did I get "Kama-kama-karma karma Camerlion" stuck running through your head, or was it the image of "Boy George" in your mind that won't go away without some strong lye soap through the ears? [/innocent eyes]
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

All things mentioned!!!!!!!!

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
"She'll only come out at night!" Hall & Oates sing in Maneater. "Dance, into the fire" with Duran Duran's A View to a Kill. "Ride into the Danger Zone" with Kenny Loggins and Mav. "Like to get to know you well" with Howard Jones. "Can you hear me? Can you hear me running?" Mike + The Mechanics asks. Bryan Adams, "I'm gonna run to you, Yeah!" John Waite states he's not missing her, "And there's a storm that's raging, through my frozen heart tonight."
You might listen to Badfinger, despite their life in the 70s.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
Wait, weren't you, like, born in the 80's, KQ?

Oh! There was also Wham!

Oh, lord, they keep coming back. The guy with the big, blond, curly hair.

This was the era of MTV. I mean, the start of it. I remember watching the first music videos and thinking, Cool!

Yup. 1983. I mentioned that I learned my colors from Cyndi Lauper's hair in her music videos at 18 months, so that would have been right around the time She Bop was out, I think? Apparently that was one of my favorites-- I'd say "Bop! Bop!" to demand it. And "Girls!" was Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

My sisters were 10 and 13 years older than me. So in 1986, for instance, I would be babysat by a 13 and 16 year old, whose idea of how to get through a game of Candy Land was to have it out on the coffee table while simultaneously watching MTV.

My sisters' music is the music of my childhood, for that reason.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
[innocent eyes] What? Did I get "Kama-kama-karma karma Camerlion" stuck running through your head, or was it the image of "Boy George" in your mind that won't go away without some strong lye soap through the ears? [/innocent eyes]

[ROFL] at Dan's transcription of lyrics to "Karma Chameleon"
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh! And not sure if this is at all called for by the thread but the B 52s!
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...ZZ Top. Forgot about those guys.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I called B-52's, but thanks, that reminds me of:

The Talking Heads and
The Ten Thousand Maniacs and
The Indigo Girls and
The Traveling Wilburys and
The Bob Dylan/Tom Petty combo and
The Counting Crows(or were they early 90's?)

Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
wow, good suggestions. I picked up 3 new albumns today: Rhythme Nation by Janet Jackson; Duran Duran Greatest hits; Tru Blu by Madonna

I also like getting real albumn instead of complilation cd's by a lot of different artists, like the stuff found in 80s boxsets, so if there's one albumn that scream good 80s sound to you, let me know

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer" from Building the Perfect Beast is pretty good. Anything by Don Henley is pretty good.

Queen's stuff is really tremendous. "Another One Bites the Dust", "We are the Champions of the World", "We Will Rock You", "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Henley reminds me of...

John Cougar (now Mellencamp)

(not sure how they are classified)

The Psychedelic Furs
The English Beat

My album choice, definitely biased, would be Springsteen's The River.

It was also the decade when many children of stars came into play: Ziggy marley, Julian Lennon, some others I cannot think of.

It was also an era of the solo artist once in a group. (Henley, Robert Plante, many, many others)

And I cannot believe I forgot this one:

PRINCE!!!!

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Smithereens.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

"You can dance if you want to.
Its really not hard to try.
But your friends don't dance,
and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine."

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Gabriel
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Country
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Hair Bands! All Hair Bands!

Edit: Oh, you wanted good music. Well, nevermind.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dan! Stop it!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ha! How timely:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/yradish/4960/the-official-new-wave-sissy-boy-80s-hits-you-were-afraid-to-admit-you-liked-in-high-school-playlist

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe no one has said the most obvious of all... The Cars!
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think of them more a 70's band for some reason.
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say Talking Heads have a distinct 80s sound, do they? Maybe parts in Stop Making Sense..

Edit: Oh yeah, After The Fire - Der Komissar
<3<3<3

[ March 19, 2008, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: The Flying Dracula Hair ]

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.