FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I scored $50.00!

Author Topic: I scored $50.00!
Luna 9
Member # 11326

- posted      Profile for Luna 9           Edit/Delete Post 
Well,it started when we were going for a walk and I saw a nickel.I told Daddy and looked for it,and right before I found it,he pulled me away.I told him I wanted the thing,and he said, "There is no nickel.If there is, I will give you $50.00." So after our walk I looked for it.At first, I thought there wasn't a nickel too, but then Daddy bent down and picked it up.Currently, he doesn't have $50.00, so he will stop at an ATM. [The Wave]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice dad. Smart dad. And I really do mean S M A R T.
One day after you've almost totally forgotten today's walk and the $50, something will happen that will remind you.
Then you'll understand exactly why that is true.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: I am happy for you.

[ March 16, 2008, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Why does re-reading this make me more confused?"

Cuz you haven't directly experienced this type of situation as an adult yet.
Though you might have as a child, and your moment of revelation is still in the future.

This is one of those rare situations in which explaining with words to someone who hasn't had the experience is more likely to detract from rather than to add to the value of the story.
Think of it as an O'Henry tale, but more subtle. And more fragile, which is why I'll neither post an explanation nor argue the point.

Luna 9 probably has quite a few years of not remembering ahead before she's reminded in a way in which she comes to fully appreciate what happened today.

[ March 16, 2008, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been informed that the $50 will NOT be forgotten about.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
steven:

The Google ad I see at the bottom of the screen is for "Pinkerton's Secret" - it's described as a Civil War romance. Which made me think of Confederate money.

Just sayin'. [Evil]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

One of my best friends from childhood actually collects Confederate money.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I edited. At first I thought this was an adult as I did not know who Luna was. I thought s/he was an adult who learned English as a second language.

After a Hatrack search I realized what information I was missing and edited my thread.

Kudo's Luna9, I thought you were in your 20s. Bright!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of a time when I was a kid and I found a $20. This was some time back, so it's probably like finding a $50 today [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy for you (I am currently wishing for an amount of money very similar to that). [Big Grin] However, I'm not sure I understand the whole story. What did the nickle have to do with it? I guess I'm just confused over all.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

She saw a nickel at the side of the road. She wanted to stand around and find the nickel (it was very dull, not shiny at all, so it was hard to see). I didn't want to, and thought there was no nickel, since I was looking for something shiny, and saw nothing. When we came back by that point, we searched again, and it was there.
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure she didn't just "drop" the nickel as she walked by the point...?
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that steven is a smart guy, but I'm confused about how the nickel story illustrates that. What deeper meaning is there that I'm missing about him losing 50 dollars?
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a childhood prank I used to pull. My dad was forever losing his glasses, and rather than hunt for them, he'd gather the kids together and offer a dollar reward for whoever found them first. We'd scramble and find his glasses in no time flat, and collect the dollar.

They were especially easy to find when I hid them first. [Evil]

That's not to say that Luna planted the nickel. Not at all!

But I might have. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

But then your father could have been knowingly "ransom"ing his personal "afikomen" to keep the fun ongoing throughout the year.

Something to keep in mind...

[ March 17, 2008, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Only tangentally related, but when I was a kid a friend of mine would make deals with God. When he was getting ready to walk into a store, he'd make a pact with God that if he found a penny outside the door of the place when he was leaving, God would have to X (with X being whatever he was hoping to get--his parents taking us to an amusement park that weekend, getting to eat his favorite meal for dinner that night--stuff like that). Then, just before he went in the door, he'd stack the deck in his favor by dropping a penny through a hole in his pocket.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

did that work?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspectre, it is amazing how much insight you have into everyone else's father's motivations. It's like a gift, huh?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.