FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Tax Stimulus Package" distribution info from IRS.gov (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Tax Stimulus Package" distribution info from IRS.gov
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Additionally, scholarship money is taxable under certain circumstances.

For instance, when scholarships exceed the cost of tuition and mandatory fees, the leftover money qualifies as income. I'm sure there are other examples, but that is the one that applied to me as an undergraduate.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to some DJs on the radio yesterday morning complain about how they got a notice in the mail about the prebate that didn't really tell them anything. They said the mailing (which I got) was incomprehensible and cost like $30 or $40 million dollars to send out. Now, I don't think it was incomprehensible. I find it hard to believe that anyone who has done their taxes or even looked at what their accountant has done for them can't figure out if they get a prebate or not. You look at your tax, look at how much you made, and your prebate is between $300 and $600 unless you are married, make too much (or too little) and if you have a qualifying child.

So while I disagree with them that it was impossible to understand, I do agree however that it was silly to send it out like that. It didn't really tell them anything that couldn't have been explained by the money just arriving in the mail or on their accounts one day. They also could have waited and included the SSN information about WHEN people will be getting their money (huzzah, May 9th for me!). I agree it was a waste of money in it's current form. Did everyone else get the little form that explains if they get a prebate or not?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, didn't get it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it, but I agree that it was a waste.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, I've heard that there are already scammers calling people and claiming to be from IRS, asking for information so people can get their economic stimulus payments. Sad, isnt' it?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
it's odd to disqualify those people just because of dependency.

It's also kinda frustrating for me. While I made at least the minimum amount needed, and I did pay taxes on those, I'm technically a dependent. Since my parents pay for my schooling.

Ugh. I put just as much into the economy as some others. I want free money!

[/pout]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want free money!
Ask your parents. [Big Grin]

---

More importantly, this isn't free. It isn't coming from a money tree or a bottom-less pit. It is all our money, collected from us and being redistributed, but nothing from the government is ever free.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.