FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dmitri Medvedev President of Russia

Author Topic: Dmitri Medvedev President of Russia
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Congratuations are in order for the newly elected President of the Russian Federation, despelling fears that the constitution would have been amended to allow for unlimited consequetive terms.

You may discuss.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Medvedev is merely a KGB plot to mess with the minds of Americans trying to pronounce "medevdevedevevdeved" or whatever it's sposeta be.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

MED-VED-EV

[Smile] If I can do with my speech impediments so can you [Smile]

Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yay, Russian people.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually mehd-V(y)EHD-yehf, not ved-ev.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the e becomes more like an o in the final consonant in addition to the devoicing of the final v. Like how some people used to write "Gorbachoff".
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just call him teddy bear.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
In Russia, Mev... er... Meded... Medver... uh...

Aw, forget it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on NPR commented that it sounded like someone running a tape backwards.

Seriously though, don't you think congratulations would be more appropriate if Medvedev weren't a rather obvious puppet placeholder?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, I think the joke you were going for is: In soviet russia, Dmitri Medvedev mispronounces you!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Someone on NPR commented that it sounded like someone running a tape backwards.

Seriously though, don't you think congratulations would be more appropriate if Medvedev weren't a rather obvious puppet placeholder?

Hes not that much of a puppet Im certain he'll have his own quirks to mix things up, yes hes a place holder but he'll probably make his own decisions, and nonetheless he won the popular vote overwhelmingly. What does it matter?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to say yes.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How to pronounce Medvedev.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Access denied.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
By the KGB. They're still trying to drive the rest of the world whack.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Congratuations are in order for the newly elected President of the Russian Federation, despelling fears that the constitution would have been amended to allow for unlimited consequetive terms.
Congratulations on electing your very own Putin Puppet President.

Action figures, marionettes, and other appropriate collectables are available in the gift shop.

Come on, this election is a joke. But it doesn't really matter. I think Russia is a unique democracy. Despite what we in the West have found to be horribly totalitarian moves made by Putin during his reign, the people in Russia couldn't get enough of him, and he enjoyed very high favorability ratings whilst construting a Russian middle class almost from scratch. Medvedev wasn't a national political figure until Putin plucked him from obscurity, groomed him, put him in the position to succeed him, gracefully stepped aside, and put himself a position to be the guy behind the curtain. But seriously, I have to imagine most Russians knew that when they voted for him, so, they get what they wanted.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, Blyane, why do you keep switching up which screen name you use?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

laptop vs desktop and I'm trying to weed out my more immature posts to my real name persona and my more articulate posts to my Sid Meier persona, trying to return to the days when i posted on the other side of the Hatrack Wall.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wait a minute. First off, "weed out" usually means more like specifically eliminating bad things mixed in amongst good ones. But from the way you phrased that, I take it to mean you've designated your real name for posts you consider to be immature and you've created a different name to post "more articulate" posts.

Wouldn't it be easier just to stop posting immature posts?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
I'm trying to weed out my more immature posts to my real name persona and my more articulate posts to my Sid Meier persona

Wouldn't the opposite be more desirable? I would imagine that linking your best posts to your real name would be preferable to only having immature posts show up if someone were to look up your name.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Wait a minute. First off, "weed out" usually means more like specifically eliminating bad things mixed in amongst good ones. But from the way you phrased that, I take it to mean you've designated your real name for posts you consider to be immature and you've created a different name to post "more articulate" posts.

Wouldn't it be easier just to stop posting immature posts?

the march of a thousand li begins with a single step.

My Sid Meier persona was the persona I started with and I think the persona that people had the most affection for me with back when I talked only about OSC and very little on politics. I'm trying a revival of sorts.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
I'm trying to weed out my more immature posts to my real name persona and my more articulate posts to my Sid Meier persona

Wouldn't the opposite be more desirable? I would imagine that linking your best posts to your real name would be preferable to only having immature posts show up if someone were to look up your name.
Actually, if he's really serious about doing that, it's probably not a horrible idea to do it his way, though I suspect he might have more success with having a third new name entirely that none of us could connect to Blayne. Though I suspect the first thread about China would undo the illusion [Smile] .His actual name I think has far too much history attached to it and a people's opinions are too entrenched. I think if he really stepped it up a notch on his regular name he'd get the respectability he might want, but, it'd take quite awhile to erase the image most of us have of him.

Personally my concern is that he seems to recognize that some of his comments are immature, and rather than just NOT post them, he's decided to create an alt to squirrel them away in yet still wants the reasonable attention one would expect from a more thoughtful poster under a different name. The nature of that thought process bothers me. Imagine if we had twice as many screen names here, and everyone had a name they posted crap on, and a name they posted their real stuff on. If you know you're doing something inappropriate, stop doing it, that's really all there is to it. Much as I hate the phrase, he's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE!

Carry on...

ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Actually, if he's really serious about doing that, it's probably not a horrible idea to do it his way, though I suspect he might have more success with having a third new name entirely that none of us could connect to Blayne. Though I suspect the first thread about China would undo the illusion [Smile] .His actual name I think has far too much history attached to it and a people's opinions are too entrenched. I think if he really stepped it up a notch on his regular name he'd get the respectability he might want, but, it'd take quite awhile to erase the image most of us have of him.

That's true, but I didn't just mean that with reference to the Hatrack community. Don't forget that if someone posts on a forum with their real name, then there is a decent chance that those forum posts will show up on a search engine. For example, a search for "Blayne Bradley" on google turns up Hatrack on the first page. As more and more employers use google as a quick source to research potential employees, it seems that you would want those search results to reflect as favorably on you as possible. When the urge comes to post something stupid and flippant (and let's face it, we all get that urge from time to time), then it certainly seems better that those comments be under the name of an alt with no immediate ties to one's real name.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course the real Sid Meier will have his good name sullied be Blayne. What happens when someone googles Sid and Blayne's post come up instead?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

ricree -

Ah, yeah that certainly makes a lot of sense. I suspect Blayne isn't think that far ahead though. Given his age, I'm not sure I blame him, that's something I wasn't at all cocerned about back then either. I think at that age you probably don't even know that potential employers even use the web in that fashion (and frankly, I'm not so sure I like the idea at all), but it's really just one more thing you should be warned about when you're young about the perils of the internet. Once it's out there, you lose some control of it.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged:
Of course the real Sid Meier will have his good name sullied be Blayne. What happens when someone googles Sid and Blayne's post come up instead?

Now this is encredibly insulting, words cannot describe.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I have to imagine that's:

1. A TOS violation.

2. Probably falls into the immature category of posting you referred to earlier Blayne.

Now granted, dante basically called you stupid, which was rather rude and not very constructive in its criticism, but that doesn't mean you should reply in kind, or for that matter more crudely and pointedly. So while I wouldn't expect (or for that matter think it's really necessary or deserved) an apology. Just to save us the time and effort of talking about it, you should probably edit that out.

Just a friendly suggestion.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go ahead and say I was over the line and I'm sorry, I'd edit out but there's quoting. Blayne, I have nothing against you, and the last thing I want to do is jump on the anti-Blayne band wagon. I'll keep on topic in the future.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Feel free, Blayne apparently decided to delete his post entirely.

There's a fine line between some friendly needling, some annoyed sniping, and outright offensive language. No one's perfect, everyone says stuff eventually that they regret after the heat of the moment is over.

But part of what I think makes Hatrack a great community is that those moments are generally few and far between, and when they do happen, people generally recognize their own mistakes pretty quickly and make amends. So good on both of you for doing so.

It wasn't a very big deal to begin with maybe, and this post here might seem like a grave overreaction to a relatively minor offense, but I still think it was worth saying, as it applies to every such offense no matter how minor or major, and I think it really speaks to the strength of this place.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I deleted it upon seeing supposedly that dante would be edited his post to remove the insult and figured itld be water under the bridge, however I still see the insulting post and ask that it be edited out, if you can probly delete the post and post a new post saying a particular thought on the issue, or you can just edit out the line or replace it with Ben Yahtse Crowshaw is brilliant or something.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

The end of that video made me very happy.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I for one, am happy for Blayne. He's been doing a lot better about being less offensive (overall) and a good participant in the discussion. I started to notice it shortly after the whole thread deletion fiasco.

I think it's a great step toward a better forum. If only a few more people (myself included, probably) could do the same, we'd be doing great.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

The end of that video made me very happy.
Да, мы можем! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My Sid Meier persona was the persona I started with and I think the persona that people had the most affection for me with back when I talked only about OSC and very little on politics.

My memory is that people came down on you fairly hard for posting under someone else's real name, and while you were dismissive of their arguments at first, you eventually saw their point and switched to your real name. The switch was very well received.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.