FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Step Up 2:

Author Topic: Step Up 2:
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
The first hint that Step Up 2: The Streets is going to be a wondefully crafted film is the cleverness of its title. Containing two meanings, the title can easily be interpreted to read as 'Step Up 2, subtitle -- the Streets', or as the thrilling invitation 'Step up to the streets'.

It is only upon further reflection and thought after having seen the movie that one realizes, there is actually a third meaning; 'The Streets' of the title refers, as we initially imagine, to the rough-and-tumble streets of the city in which the film is set (Baltimore), as well as the undergound dance competition which has been titled, simply and appropriately "The Streets."

When one begins to understand the triple-meaning of the title, the intelligence of the filmmakers begins to come into crystal focus.

Step Up 2: The Streets' is set in an alternate universe where dancing is a serious crime; the grim facts of this cold reality are presented in the opening sequence, in which a rogue dance crew, wearing masks to protect their identities from their fascist dance-hating oppressors -- society at large, and more to the point, the police -- begin to dance a wild hip-hop jam on a subway car. The brainwashed lambs of this universe, the non-dancers, the disbelievers, shout in terror and cover their faces with their hands -- hardly able to express their displeasure, so overcome with shock are they, as the "410" dance crew unspool a vicious (and pretty cool) attack of shoe-slapping, crouching, air-humping, and wall-flipping the likes of which has rarely been seen.

Word of dancing spreads quickly in this police-state of groove-disapprovers, and by the time the subway car stops, a small army of policemen have arrived to put a stop to what they must consider madness -- but which is in fact hardcore coolness. Using their inexhaustable supply of shoulder-shimmies and head-bobs, the masked dancemasters of the 410 are able to elude their would-be capturers with embarrassing ease. One can't help but think, whilst viewing this spectacle (no doubt with an ear-to-ear grin) that the police might be able to catch these terrorists if only they could employ a few free-style jams of their own. But, no.

They are fools with no soul, no interpretive imagination.

From there we are introduced to our heroine, Andie West, a troubled young-girl who has turned to the crime of dancing in her grief over her recently deceased mother's death.

Everyone's favorite character from the first Step Up, Step Up 1: The Beats, the now-legendary Tyler Gage soon appears to face Andie in a deeply meaningful "dance-off" at an underground club; using a trampoline, he spins, flips, and delights -- wowing the crowd and winning a wager with the young Andie. The result of having lost this wager is: she must now enroll in the same fancy school where Tyler Gage himself mastered his illegal craft. Fans of the first film will no doubt find great pleasure in noting this terrific "passing-of-the-torch" scene.

Unfortunately, if the straight and good people of this society hate the spontaneous dancing of groups like the 410 with a fist-clenching teeth-grinding madness -- the 410 hates schools for the performing arts even more. As a result, Andie is kicked from the group -- known on "the streets" as a "dance crew" or "crew" for short.

And this is where the film really gets great, and the character of Andie West really comes to life. She decides to form her own dance crew!

Resentments on both sides -- the 410 -- as well as the "crew" formed newly at her new school -- lead to a collision course of hip-hop dance insanity that is, in the words of one character in the film (Andie West) "sick". The film accelerates to a fevered pace of high-speed lava. Like all great rollercoaster rides, the joy of this film lies in anticipation. The inevitable comes at the audience like a fast-moving passenger train:

This is all gonna have to end in a dance-off. Crew against crew. No turning back. No way out. Winner take all.

I won't spoil the ending by revealing which crew wins. But I will say that the dance-off is an absolute treat to behold; you've never seen anything like it. This 15-minute sequence, which is filled with bleating, stuttered beats, flashing lights, pounding bass, teenagers doing the robot in the rain, a rousing speech, redemption, and dare I say, an eyeful and a sense of magical wonder on the order of the "lost in space" sequence of 2001: A Space Oddyssey, perhaps surpassing that film in its heartbreaking hip-hop glory -- is worth the price of 10 admissions.

To ensure the future of the human race, and to provide Hollywood with the incentive they so dearly need to continue to provide us with real films such as this one, rather than the schlock they so often put out, action is required. Each of us must do his or her part.

Go to the theater, now, this moment, take your family, your friends, your babies -- this film is *that* important. I say this with no exaggeration. Take everyone you can, and for each person, purchase 10 tickets.

You will not be disappointed. This... This is the film of a lifetime, folks. Please see it.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, my heart belongs to Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have Antonio Banderas in it?

It must, if it's as good as you think.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...an eyeful and a sense of magical wonder on the order of the "lost in space" sequence of 2001: A Space Oddyssey, perhaps surpassing that film in its heartbreaking hip-hop glory...
God, I hope you're not serious...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about "Footloose" the other day and how Kevin Bacon reads that passage about dancing in the church, when it turns out that part about dancing results in David's principal wife being so disgusted with him that she never is his wife in very deed again. Seems like the anti-dance pastor would have known that.

I've been running across a lot of out of context quotes this week. "without vision, the people perish..." The other half of this has to do with keeping the law, rather than dreams of breaking out of your daily rut.

I checked another review and I didn't get that it was an alternate future where dancing is illegal.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first hint that Step Up 2: The Streets is going to be a wondefully crafted film is the cleverness of its title. Containing two meanings, the title can easily be interpreted to read as 'Step Up 2, subtitle -- the Streets', or as the thrilling invitation 'Step up to the streets'.
This is only topped by the incredibly original titling of the multiple Academy Award-winning masterpiece, "Teen Wolf Too".
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Yeah, Teen Wolf Too was a good title.

No... Step Up 2 is horrible. The review was completely a sarcastic review.

But the dance sequence at the end -- the final 15 minutes of the movie -- is, honestly, unbelievably incredible.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I thoroughly enjoyed Step Up 2. I liked it enough that I got the first from Netflix.

Of course the plot was dreadful. The dialogue served only as a bridge between dance scenes. The premise was hilarious, and we are asked, uncomfortably, to cheer for the rich priveleged kids that they beat the kids from the projects.

However, the movie was at least 50% dance scenes and those were incredible. It did a very good job of doing what it was meant to do. I kind of want to see it again to see if I can get my hips to do that.

Not every movie needs to be Lord of the Rings.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

katharina, I agree with you. The plot is ludicrous -- like the opening sequence on the subway. Would dancing on a subway train really make the local news and bring out an army of cops in 90 seconds? No, it's absurd, and the whole movie contains the same logic.

I'm not even a particular fan of dancing, or at least I wasn't until I saw this. The dancing was worth the ticket, and honestly, I'll be seeing it again.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
...like the opening sequence on the subway. Would dancing on a subway train really make the local news and bring out an army of cops in 90 seconds?

If I was in a subway and a dance number broke out, not only would I want law enforcement there as soon as possible, I'd want them to open fire...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.