FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I find this extremely amusing...

Author Topic: I find this extremely amusing...
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
... though you may not.

Scientology's site attacking Anonymous has been Rick-Rolled. *

Say what you will about slippery slopes, that there is funny.

There was also an article about protests in New York on Hubbard's birthday (or something).

The same day a friend of mine was strolling around Edinburgh and ran into some Anonymous chaps in Guy Fawkes-ish get ups. She posted pictures on her Live Journal.

It all seems very playful and non-violent, what with the signs saying "Our silliness is free!" and so forth. I just seem to be coming in contact with this stuff more and more. It's interesting to watch from the peanut gallery.

*or possibly that was just made to look that way. I don't know. Still worth a giggle though.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Say what you will about slippery slopes, that there is funny.
I want to be on the fence on this one, but it IS funny.

Now I won't be able to get that damned song out of my head for hours.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Pwnt!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And it's still there... Is this seriously the real site?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it is. So enjoy it while it lasts. I can't imagine it'll be up too long.

Hilarious.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
parody site not affiliated with CoS. you got rick rolled!
Is what it says- so it's not the Church of Scientology.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

damn.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they hijacked the domain of the real site. That's kinda what it looks like, and I imagine that's how you'd go about that.

Download the html code of the original site (it's impossible to protect against), modify it however you please, put it up on your own server and then send some sort of worm or virus through the DNS servers to repoint the domain name to that server's IP.

Least ways that's one way they might accomplish that. I dunno if that's actually possible or how secure the DNS servers are. I mean DNS servers are by definition built to percolate information virally so if you can get around the security protocols... And there are some pretty seriously good hackers in Anonymous.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
So this isn't a real site?

Shucks. That would have been great.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

yeah, i assumed it was real because of the url. Alcon, you're probably close to being right about what happened.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
The real site is www.anonymous-exposed.org (note the hyphen)
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
How's that systematic dismantling going?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, see, that's funny, since people looking for the real site would very easily type this in instead.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. It doesn't say anything like that now. Just that Anonymous is a cyber-terrorist group and here's a video to help you identify them. [Frown]

Edit to add: It looks identical to the real site, but it doesn't have the parody tag now.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
no, it still does. It's a really dark color, almost identical to the background at the bottom. Try highlighting that extra box
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.