FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fun with Edubuntu

Author Topic: Fun with Edubuntu
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
*squeeeeeel*

These days I have been putting down my games and TV and have been trying to do more productive things.

I am spending more time with my family (games and TV never got in the way of that, only work), working on an Internet store which is on the back burner until my family goes to Japan for 3 months, and fiddling with Linux.

For those interested, the linuxreality audiocast is uber cool. I am up to episode 30 and have been following along with various versions of Linux.

Lately I took a side trip and have been messing with edubuntu. My goal is to learn how to set up thin clients that play nice with our network and can run some of our windows programs with WINE.

Since energy cost is only going to be more of an issue in school districts for the forseeable future, I want to really understand thin clients.

Well...I have behind me an edubuntu server servicing an old client machine sans Hard drive. The client, which used to be a 95/98 machine, is logged on as we speak! Granted that part was really easy, but I still feel cool.

It has two NICs but the Internet nic is unplugged because I don't want it messing with our school lan. We have a DHCP client on Server 2003 for our school.

My understanding is if I turn off the DHCP on the NIC that will be connected to our lan, the DHCPs will not interfere with each other...right? My private nic will service the terminal clients with a private address and the rest of our school network not pull private IP addresses.

My edubuntu server has a private static address on it's DHCP nic. I soon will be adding a regular IP address to the other card so it (and all terminal clients) can connect to the Internet and oru school LAN.
quote:
To set up the other NIC for WWW access, do so from the GUI once you log in. Since the clients run on the server, they will have internet access. One complication for this is that the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server, which you are setting up to serve your private LAN, needs to be told to ignore DHCP requests on the eth1 interface. The default behaviour is to listen on all interfaces. To change this, edit as root /etc/default/dhcp using the command: sudo gedit /etc/default/dhcp. Add these lines:

# On what interfaces should the DHCP server (dhcpd) serve DHCP requests?
# Separate multiple interfaces with spaces, e.g. "eth0 eth1"
INTERFACES="eth0"

If all goes well on that count, I will then add it to our network and see if I can get Linux's version of AD to play nice with Microsoft's so students can log onto the terminal clients and still have their network drives mapped.

I know it is a lot of work, but it is so fun. I love having a job where my office can hold 9 computers easily and which also gives me some time to study during work and after hours.

Sorry to wast your time, but my wife has no idea how cool this is too me. To her the computer is the monitor that connects you to email. I had to tell someone. Plus she is shopping with the kids.

EDIT: Here is my delicious bookmarks (mybuntu). If you have any suggestions, let me know.

[ March 19, 2008, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally can follow the tech conversations.

But... ??????

And congratulations- you seem very happy.

[Smile]

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Edubuntu is the one flavor(?) of ubuntu I have not messed with. I'm particularly fond of the KDE environment, but I also like the GNOME. The EDU package I just have not had the time to fiddle with. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

[ March 19, 2008, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: adfectio ]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What flavor do you prefer? What do you use it for? Have you tried any LTSP products?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the feel of KDE. Mainly because it's more like what I'm used to (Windows). However, I prefer the default applications that come with GNOME.

Mainly it's for fun. I'm going to be building a desktop sometime soon, and I'll be dual booting Linux and Windows. While I could work with WINE, It would be more convenient to work with just a basic XP partition. Maybe I'll work my way into using WINE from there. Although, from what I've read, Steam doesn't work to hot with WINE right now.

I haven't even heard of LTSP before. But I'll look through it. Maybe I'll be able to set up a server now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if dhcp is off on all interfaces connecting to a subnet, it won't interfere with another dhcp server on that subnet.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.