FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jazz preference?

Author Topic: Jazz preference?
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new hear, who are some of your favorite jazz artists.

I am partial to most Miles Davis, Roy Haynes, or McCoy Tyner.

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Goodwin, Louis Armstrong, and Duke Ellington.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
David Baker!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rival, welcome.

I like Armstrong, Ellington, Davis, and Brubeck. Admittedly my experience with Jazz isn't stellar, I've only heard bits and pieces from all of them, but I like them.

I wish I could play Jazz. I play the sax, but every time I've tried to venture out into Jazz I get frustrated and quit. I guess my brain just isn't wired for it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of Louis, Duke, Ella, and Bing. Also can't forget Count Basie. I'm pretty old-school, though.

Coltrane has a great sound and I love his improvs.

Not a big fan of Miles Davis, but I recognize and appreciate his contributions to the genre.

There's a group of performers in the local crown in Portland called "Trio Subtonic" that's pretty good. Check out their website: www.triosubtonic.com. They have some nice Brazilian influences and a good groove overall, though I think it's safe to say that their skills don't come close to the genius of the first artists I mentioned...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish I could play Jazz. I play the sax, but every time I've tried to venture out into Jazz I get frustrated and quit. I guess my brain just isn't wired for it
It does take a lot of time and practice, but it's a lot of fun once it clicks. How have you tried to learn before? Some methods are better than others.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of the jazz genre, but I'm afraid if I posted my favorites, you would consider that leaning too heavily toward the New Age/Smooth Jazz format to be considered true jazz.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Bebop
Early Miles davis, but not later MD.
I like some Smooth Jazz. The ripingtons, Spyro Gyra, Acoustic Alchemy, though they are not jazz, but some of it sounds too much like Muzak to me and annoys me.
Some New Age is kind of cool too.

But I love Big Band, and Ella, and Billie, and Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington. Ect.
Billy Eckstein
All sorts of sweet good jazz

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Thelonious Monk, Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Erroll Garner, and Louis Armstrong.

Which reminds me, I haven't listened to Sun Ra in ages.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I like a lot of the jazz genre, but I'm afraid if I posted my favorites, you would consider that leaning too heavily toward the New Age/Smooth Jazz format to be considered true jazz.

Nah, only if you're Winston Marsalis. [Wink]

I like lots of Jazz, too much to list here. Sure, the greats like Ellington, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, JJ Johnson, Goodwin, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Count Basie, Stan Getz, Frank Sinatra (for his jazz tunes), Cannonball Adderly, Thelonius Monk...that's just a pretty typical, general list, and I certainly have other more obscure favorites. Some of the Modern jazz is also interesting (Zorn, Lewis, Roseman, et al) but I don't particularly enjoy listening to too much of that...I can only take the shrieking for too long until my head starts hurting. Heh. Jazz Fusion is also sort of guilty pleasure of mine.

I love jazz -- playing it and listening to it.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Peterson and Nat King Cole
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Nat King Cole and COLTRANE!!!!
And latin jazz, like Tito Puente and SO MUCH MORE!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
quote:
I wish I could play Jazz. I play the sax, but every time I've tried to venture out into Jazz I get frustrated and quit. I guess my brain just isn't wired for it
It does take a lot of time and practice, but it's a lot of fun once it clicks. How have you tried to learn before? Some methods are better than others.
I tried Jazz band for a year in high school, then tried to basically teach myself a couple years ago. An Ex of mine bought me a book of Dave Matthews sax music that had some jazz notation in it last year and I tried to teach myself again and sort of gave up. I barely have time anymore to pull out the stuff I remember how to play, as I have far too many old band friends that have quit playing and don't even remember how now (and I don't want that to be me), let alone trying to learn a whole new style of play.

But maybe some day.

I forgot about Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman and some others. I love a lot of the music of the 30's, 40's, and 50's but I'm not sure what fits into what genre from then. Swing and Jazz can bleed into each other, as can some Big Band (all of which I love). Where do people like Bing Crosby, James Darren and Frank Sinatra fit in?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been listening to Rez Abbasi a lot lately.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
The Max Rebo Band.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I prefer early Tatooinian Jazz.

Max is too progressive for me.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Utah Jazz.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
This list would be endless. There are so many Jazz musicians I love. These are my favorites for each instrument:
Keyboard - Chick Corea
Bass - Jaco Pastorius or John Patitucci when he plays with Chick Corea
Saxophone - Cannonball Adderley (alto) Stan Getz (tenor)
Guitar - Pat Metheny
George Benson is probably my favorite Jazz musician overrall. I love how his sound is always so clean and he has such a nice style.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm a fan of Louis, Duke, Ella"

Jinx.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
"I'm a fan of Louis, Duke, Ella"

Jinx.

[Embarrassed]

<buys JonHecht a coke>

Phew...now I can talk again.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's the rule where you grew up?

Where I grew up, when you're jinxed you aren't allowed to talk until some one says your name.

Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only just geting into jazz... so, no big surprises here, I expect. I have some Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock and Roy Ayers.
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
That's the rule where you grew up?

Where I grew up, when you're jinxed you aren't allowed to talk until some one says your name.

Folks usually say "Jinx! You owe me a Coke!" around here, but in Idaho where I spent my early years, your custom applied.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I like yours better though.

You get free stuff!

My best friend would owe me endless six packs of Coke, we're always doing that.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaz is not my favorite, but I like the elements of jazz in rock and folk music. My brain is not letting me think of anyone.

Donna the Buffalo is neither jazzy nor bluesy, but some of my favorite bands are a combination of both. Jorma Kaukonen, for instance.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Jazz music can be entertaining in small doses. However, as soon as someone utters the phrase "This one's got a 45-minute trombone solo," my brain shuts off.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.