FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think the painkillers are giving me nightmares...

Author Topic: I think the painkillers are giving me nightmares...
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A week ago I had a Scleral buckle done on my left eye to repair a retinal detachment. It was done as an outpatient procedure, and I trundled home afterward clutching an assortment of eye drops and a little bottle of percocet.

Anyway, the past few nights I've had really vivid nightmares, of the kind that I don't remember having since high school. For example, last night I dreamed that I was in an abandoned warehouse/office building that was just strewn with body parts. Also, something was chasing me. The night before that I dreamed I was on a tropical resort island, which was nice, except that every atttractive female employee was plotting to kill me.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always have extremely vivid dreams when taking pain killers. I even have them when taking OTC sleep aids. I hate the way narcotics make me feel and don't really understand the appeal.

I hope you heal quickly and can stop taking them soon.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I forgot to mention that I went in for a follow up yesterday and the doc said I should move to taking extra-strength Tylenol every four hours and just using the percocet for above-and-beyond kinda stuff. It seems like the worst pain comes in the wee hours of the morning, thought, so we'll see how it goes.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Night terrors? Is that a side effect of percocet?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Not night terrors specifically (unless that's a colloquialism for "bad dreams" where you are) but yeah, seems to be. It started a couple of days after I started taking the drug, and has occurred every night since.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not at all be surprised if the percocet is causing it. Some medications I've been on in the past have caused me to have nightmares or mild hallucinations. I have scars on my knee from one drug-induced nightmare. I dreamed that I was in a bedroom and there was a person pointing a gun at me through a window/hole in the wall, so in my dream I rolled underneath the bed. In real life I rolled right OFF the bed, and my knee landed right on the floor register. OUCHIE!!!
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have horrible vivid nightmares often. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any pattern.

Like last night I had terrible voices in my head coming from books, and my bathtub was filled with blood. Which is pretty tame compared to most of them. At least sometimes I have really wonderful dreams. *sigh*

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I suppose I should be glad I don't have to deal with either of those things.

I know people can learn to cope with most things, but how do you ever get enough sleep, porcelain girl?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had bad dreams and strange dreams on prescription painkillers before, so I would not be surprised at all that it's causing it.

Nor is it unusual for your worst pain to be at night - I found that usually when I was post-surgical, that I could get by with Advil or Tylenol during the day, but would start needing prescription strength stuff in the evening. As soon as the sun went down, I would start needing more help with the pain.

I think this is physiological, in that our bodies production of endorphins slow down at night, or something like that.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I suppose I should be glad I don't have to deal with either of those things.

I know people can learn to cope with most things, but how do you ever get enough sleep, porcelain girl?

I usually don't feel rested at all. When you've spent all night running away from something terrible you wake up pretty exhausted.

But then again this is how I maintain my sultry haven't-slept-for-days image.

I really do have fabulous dreams, too, but it does seem that I have way more nightmares than the average human.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.