FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pushy store clerks (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pushy store clerks
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, clerks will stand a foot, maybe two, away from me as I look around. They follow me around. They will not leave me alone. They are attached and they ain't going anywhere. It's really annoying. It's not that they're asking me what I want or anything - they tend to not speak. They just watch. Every. Single. Move.

Not that white people are thought to be thieves, which is why I'm told they're like that with brown people. But rather, I think it's because possibly, somehow, they think I'm going to spend a lot of money and they want the credit. Or something. *shrugs*

All I know is that it really makes me hate shopping here.

Oh, yeah, and you know when you have people at the store offering you a sample of a cookie or that sort of thing? Those people follow me around the store, too. They've even been known to toss a half dozen of whatever they're pushing into my cart, despite my protests. And then follow me around to make sure I don't remove it. Which I do.

Really.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Irked. I used to shop at a big department store where the clerks got paid on commission or something. After helping a customer with an item, they would put their initials on the back of the price tag (you know, the kind with the string and tiny brass safety pin, before bar codes and sticky labels were invented.)

One seriously annoying old lady clerk would ignore me until I was headed to the checkout counter. Within a few feet of the cash register, she'd pop out from between the displays with her pen and grab a tag and not let go until she'd signed all the blank ones and huff disappointedly when she found one already signed. The cashier stood there watching with her mouth agape, as she should have been the one to get credit for the unassisted sales.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I worked retail, and where I worked, store policy was to ask the customer who helped them if the person wasn't right there, then ring in that salesperson's number. If there was no salesperson, then it was supposed to go to a 99999, which means no one got credit. Some salespeople who rang in sales would give themselves credit instead in those cases.

If I'd been in your shoes, I'd be tempted to whip out a pen from my purse and scratch off all her scribbles. In front of her. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
TL, I don't believe I can type with more clarity.
I took the time to ask a friend her thoughts about two people not understanding my posts. This concerned another forum.
She answered, "they prefer Ones and Zeroes."
I replied, "but I like my ducks in a row too."
You're not obtuse and obscurity wasn't my goal. Here the minds don't meet, so I shrug my narrow shoulders and continue to avoid team sports.

~Happy Easter~

your blueness

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind altering drugs much, blue? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Magic?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was some magic combination of clerks that aren't pushy but are easily available if you do need help.

Gamestop/EB Games are horrid when you try to purchase something. (They have toned down a bit in recent years, thank goodness. But then again, now they freaking sell you used games as new, but that's another story.)

"Do you have our Uber-1337 membership card?"

"No."

"Let me sign you up! It's only XX dollars, and you get XX benefits on all purchases."

"No, I don't really want it."

"But it's only XX dollars in reality, because you get XX dollars off your game!"

"I don't shop here enough for it to be worth it."

"Okay, I'm just trying to help you out man. Would you like to preorder any games? XX and YY and ZZ are all coming out soon."

"No thanks."

"Really? YY is looking pretty hot, it may be hard to find when it really comes out."

"I really don't want to preorder anything."

"Okay. Would you like to purchase a $5 insurance on this game?"

*tries to strangle clerk, is restrained by passerby*

That's at least what it used to be like, and that's almost word for word a conversation I had once (minus the strangling of course). Needless to say, I don't shop there much.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"...Uber-1337..."

I love it. [ROFL] You brightened up the thread.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You should try shopping at Motherhood Maternity. They ask for your home address, want to sign you up for "free trials" of Parenting Magazine, want to send you stuff not even affiliated with their store, and if you won't give them your address or phone number they get VERY agitated. Plus they have a HORRIBLE return policy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.