FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Props for Catholic Bishop dropping charges against vandals

Author Topic: Props for Catholic Bishop dropping charges against vandals
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Deseret News Story
I wanted to give this its own thread because I think it's a good thing. Though maybe it would mean more in context.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
Though maybe it would mean more in context.

Probably. Here is the previous thread that was created when news of the incident was first released, in case anyone was wondering.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Occasional will be happy to hear that another religious shooting war has been narrowly avoided.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure Occasional will be happy to hear that another religious shooting war has been narrowly avoided.
Really? I rather get the feeling he'd be disappointed.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the sarcasm in my previous post was too subtle.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I thought you were going for the absurdity of thinking that this was bringing us to the brink of a religious war.

I was trying to go for the Occ really, really wants a religious war angle.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was trying to go for the Occ really, really wants a religious war angle.
Thanks for reminding me of one of the few times anyone has left me speechless and confused.

Because, honestly, that stuff was outright bonkers.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I appreciate the charity of the authorities, here... I really would rather have seen these kids get prosected to the full extent possible. I'm not usually thrilled when people who commit despicable acts are rewarded rather than punished.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how they've been "rewarded."

They're facing Church discipline, and are just not being prosecuted by civil authorities. It would have been a tough case to prove anyway, and this Bishop is showing a true spirit of Christian charity and forgiveness by letting it pass on his part. They will still be accountable, the wronged party is simply choosing not to escalate this situation further.

I would definitely feel differently if they had commited a crime against a person. But for a property crime, I think that is an admirable attitude to have.

Of course, the authorities wouldn't agree to drop the charges if it was a crime against a person, most likely. Which is a good thing.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also glad to hear that the Bishop is urging forgiveness. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be charged:

quote:
Whether the young men will ever be charged with criminal conduct is still to be determined.
The article also says that it hasn't been determined whether they did the vandalism or just photographed themselves near the vandalized statue(s?) after the fact. To me, the answer to that question makes a big difference in whether charges should be pressed or not.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this Bishop is showing a true spirit of Christian charity and forgiveness by letting it pass on his part.
I agree.

quote:
They will still be accountable
We don't know that; that remains to be seen. We do know that, in at least one way -- criminally -- they are not being held accountable.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they are undergoing Church discipline, according to statements by the Church. That sounds like accountability to me. The one who was still on his mission was pulled from it. Again, this is not being taken lightly, discipline is being attended to.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, applaud the bishop for his stance of forgiveness. I believe, also, that they will be held accountable for their actions.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the article, the police are not pursuing the matter.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercy of that sort is one of the higher qualities of Christianity.

In other words: good for him.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, they are undergoing Church discipline, according to statements by the Church. That sounds like accountability to me. The one who was still on his mission was pulled from it. Again, this is not being taken lightly, discipline is being attended to.
While I agree (and in fact advocated here for) the Bishop's decision, I am very uncomfortable with the idea that private punishment* - especially religious private punishment - should in any way factor into the public decision to prosecute.

It can reasonably factor into private decisions such as the Bishop's to not seek prosecution. And those private decision can factor into a prosecutor's decision. But the existence of private punishment ought not to directly factor into the prosecutor's decision.

Not that I think that happened here, or that you were advocating on this issue one way or the other. I interpreted your post as simply pointing out that the men are being punished. It's just an area that interests me.

*Edit: here I mean private punishments that are in some way voluntarily submitted to. If someone faces forceful punishment such as tar and feathering for a minor crime, I think a prosecutor can take that into account when making charging decisions, and a judge can take that into account when sentencing.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I don't think it should factor into the decision to prosecute at all.

I was just responding to the idea that they're not accountable. I think they are being held accountable, and by the Church as well as God.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.