FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The brilliance that is Firefly, and my lack of sleep.

Author Topic: The brilliance that is Firefly, and my lack of sleep.
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the girls at my college and I were hanging out, and we started talking about movies. I dropped the line that makes every girl swoon: "I actually really like science-fiction."

Well instead of falling head over heels for me like most girls do after hearing that line, she asked me if I'd seen the movie Serenity. I said no. Then she asked if I had ever watched the series firefly. When I said no to that, she was very adamant saying that I can't say I like Sci-fi till I've seen Firefly. Anyway, she lent me both Serenity and Firefly on DVD.

I didn't watch either one, then, last night out of boredom I watched the first episode of firefly. Then the second, then the third, then the fourth, and then the fifth. (After that it was getting light outside so I took the dog for a walk, however I plan on finishing ASAP.)

This is by far one of the best TV shows I've watched. But I can't understand how it works. Is it a sci-fi, or western? Or both? It is some crazy combination of the two, but it works.

The dialogue is witty, for those who don't have a problem with suspension of disbelief, this show is perfect. So my question is, why only one season? Why?

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Too Good to Last"
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you mean you got addicted to Firefly through some other source than Hatrack?

I'd suggest not using the search function to dig up the numerous discussions of this fine show until after you've finished the series and the movie. There are way too many spoilers lurking in this forum!

Not to mention many addi . . . I mean faithful fans. And enjoy!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I dropped the line that makes every girl swoon: "I actually really like science-fiction."
what

mind = blown

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
And then she suggested Firefly.

You better hold on to that one!

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I'd never really heard of the show before, now I can't get enough, and the fact that there are so few episodes is so daunting.

I don't know whether to continue at my current pace, or savor it gradually.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When you finish the show, there is a Steven Brust novel available for free online that takes place between the end of the TV show and the beginning of the graphic novel (and the graphic novel takes place before the events of the movie). There's another graphic novel in the works, as well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
the bigwigs at whichever studio that cancelled firely by canceling such a great show i am certain has proven to us that they are just a bunch of chimps with downs syndrome.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Blayne, you may want to choose a different comparison.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
He did it AGAIN. I can't believe this. It's not possible.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

Please, let's not be insulting to the chimps.

I don't suppose that there is anychance, whatsoever, that the show will ever be brought back?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Well...frankly, I think the window through which it could have returned is closed.

Joss seems intent on creating new projects at the moment, but who knows?

Philosofickle
Member # 10993

I really hope that they do, I think I'll make this a matter of prayer.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
There's many a folk who will be right there with you...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I am looking forward to what Nathan Fillion will do in Joss's upcoming Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. [Big Grin]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Philosofickle:

I just got the picture in my head of Elija praying to God to let Joss make another series of Firefly, while a whole bunch of Priests of Baal are madly calling studio execs trying to get it stopped.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
That's... actually an amusing image.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
And then she suggested Firefly.

You better hold on to that one!

Last time a girl suggested we do the firefly, I wasn't able to hold on. I'll always think about the one that got away...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
quote:
Originally posted by Philosofickle:

I just got the picture in my head of Elija praying to God to let Joss make another series of Firefly, while a whole bunch of Priests of Baal are madly calling studio execs trying to get it stopped.
Sadly, in this case, it's the priests of Baal who are able to call fire from the heavens. [Frown]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
They had this show on DVD on sale at Target for $17.99. So, I bought it. Because I didn't want to wait and then pay over $30 somewhere else. I haven't watched all of it yet, but the episodes I've seen are really good.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

quote:
Sadly, in this case, it's the priests of Baal who are able to call fire from the heavens.
But good will triumph in the end.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Be absolutely sure to go back and watch the episodes with commentaries. Especially be sure to watch the deleted scenes, for some extra info and for a fantastic River-Simon scene from "Our Mrs. Reynolds."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Why does Baal get such a bad rap? The Jewish God is sometimes called Baal... or was, once upon a time.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Why does Baal get such a bad rap? The Jewish God is sometimes called Baal... or was, once upon a time.

Um... I am afraid you are quite mistaken.

While there were certainly Jews who worshiped at the alter of Baal or his other iterations, he was NEVER worshiped as official God of Israel.

And at the risk of insulting Baalites, let me just say that alot of the rites associated with Baal were detestable.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? This is why I shouldn't trust philosophy books to be completely accurate with regards to history.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Really? This is why I shouldn't trust philosophy books to be completely accurate with regards to history.

Well to be fair there is a candle of truth to what you are saying. Ba'al simply means, "Lord" and it's more of a title than a personal name. So of all the many Canaanite Gods and Goddesses all of them would have been referred to as Ba'al by both Israelites and Canaanites. It is likely the Canaanites referred to the God of Israel as Ba'al as well. Every mention of Ba'al in the Old Testament refers to a God that also has a personal unique name.

So when apostate Israelites or Hebrews included the worship of the local or regional Canaanite Gods in their worship it is always referred to as, "Ba'al worship." It was a problem that stems through almost the entire Old Testament. At the time of Elijah we even find that the God of Israel has become very unpopular across the empire and His prophets and followers are vigorously persecuted and executed by the government. Hence, we have Elijah come down from hiding and prove the superiority of Israel's unique God to Ba'al.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

Yet another reason why I love these forums, topic of discussion on a cancelled (but very good) sci-fi TV show, turns into a lecture on the meaning of Ba'al and how the term applies to deity.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.