FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In the "I wish this was an April Fools Joke" category...

Author Topic: In the "I wish this was an April Fools Joke" category...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...Madonna wants to do a remake of Casablanca...only it'll be "modernized and set in Iraq!"

Oh, and she wants to play Ilsa.

Is nothing sacred? [Grumble]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd regret that.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That hurts my soul. Really. That's horrible. Please God, let this be a joke.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when she remade Don McClean's American Pie? It was forgotten pretty quickly. I didn't hear too many people touting her as an "innovator" then. Madonna, in this man's opinion, is highly overrated.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember when she remade Don McClean's American Pie?
No.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Count your blessings.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't she understand? You DO NOT mess with the classics. Honestly, what's wrong with this woman? Aside from her obvious Madonna-ness.

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
... Casablanca...set in Iraq!

Geographically, that doesn't even make sense!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, she's done the Casa Rosada...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the MAJOR movies which was supposed to be released in 2008 got pushed back to 2009. Filming is already completed and post-production is well within schedule. The studio just thinks it can make more money with a May release than a December release.
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the movie.

Also the lead character of Tintin has been cast.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember when she remade Don McClean's American Pie?
Yes.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the humanity!

If I were to do a remake, I would set the film in, oh I don't know, Casablanca. I'd probably cast someone like Humphrey Bogart as Rick too.

Hang on a minute...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
One of the MAJOR movies which was supposed to be released in 2008 got pushed back to 2009. Filming is already completed and post-production is well within schedule. The studio just thinks it can make more money with a May release than a December release.
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the movie.

Star Trek.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! That makes me not want to go see it!

As for Casablanca...wouldn't they have to rename it Basra or Baghdad or some such?

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with a loose remake of Casablanca. I'll await more details before totally hating it. If I had to name my biggest problem? Basing it on the Iraq War is probably going to make a lot of people NOT see it. Just seems pretty silly to me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but if it was set in Iraq, doesn't that mean the part of the Nazis would be played by the Americans?

Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to guess, I'd suspect so. I imagine she's trying to get a letter of passage to go to communist China.

There's really only two choices for Rick. Harrison Ford would make sense (though not opposite Madonna) or Mark Wahlberg always seems like a good idea to people who think classics need to be remade.

I actually really liked Mark Wahlberg in Invincible. He's charming enough as himself, I'm not sure why people feel like he has to stand in for Charlton Heston, Michael Caine, or Cary Grant.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she does do it. We need a reason for Humphrey Bogart to rise from the grave and start eating certain people's brains.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Bah! That makes me not want to go see it!

I think part of the reason may be that 2009 was the year hit hardest by the writers strike, movie-wise. Paramount didn't have much in the way of big, high profile tentpole flicks on their slate. After Indiana Jones, Star Trek is the most anticipated film they have.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Good grief. 2009 will have Ice Age 3 as the biggest release, 4th of July weekend.

It's worse than I thought. [Wink]

porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
It is one thing to have a music artist remake a song; it is quite another thing to have a music artist who has already shown her capacity as an actor (low!) remake a classic film.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.