FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Patrick Stewart on Trek fans and too-tight uniforms... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Patrick Stewart on Trek fans and too-tight uniforms...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Some pretty fun tidbits.

[ April 03, 2008, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Patrick Stewart is just so hot!

And I love the mustache.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't there be a comma in that title? I first read this as "Trek fans' too-tight uniforms" (which honestly is why I clicked that link) but it seems it should be "Trek fans, too-tight uniforms."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I only -thought- I typed an "and" up there. [Blushing]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they only wear that crazy suit for one season? I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I'm sure a few were from later seasons. What did the later uniforms look like?
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Did they only wear that crazy suit for one season?

Well, the ultra-tight version resurfaced in the final episode, when Picard began visiting different periods in time.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate and I watched that final episode two nights ago. We're fighting through the last season of Babylon 5 (which has gotten measurably less enjoyable), and the last episode of Star Trek made me want to watch that whole series all over again!

And for the fun of it, a bunch of Patrick Stewart videos:

Picard Alphabet

Sing Along

Make it so Number One!

B beginith with B.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:

I believe the convention has become that you would not use a comma if the two: "star trek fans" and "uniforms," were related. With a comma after the "and," you denote that indeed, fans and uniforms are separate items of business.

What you've written here is not necessarily to be taken as linking the fans with wearing too-tight uniforms, however the sentence is more ambiguous. With a comma after the "and," you would clearly show that there is a distinction between two subjects.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The uber tight uniforms were only in the first season, maybe part of the second season. After that Picard either wore the new style, or the grey shirt with red jacket.

TWW, you forgot the best video.

Watch this after you watch the "Sing Along" link of TWW's from above.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

I believe the convention has become that you would not use a comma if the two: "star trek fans" and "uniforms," were related. With a comma after the "and," you denote that indeed, fans and uniforms are separate items of business.

What you've written here is not necessarily to be taken as linking the fans with wearing too-tight uniforms, however the sentence is more ambiguous. With a comma after the "and," you would clearly show that there is a distinction between two subjects.

Davidson's Law is a harsh thing.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
The tight uniforms were worn for the first two seasons. The looser-fitting uniforms were worn from the third season onward.

Not that I'm a trek fan or anything. Not at all.

Also, I love that Stewart totally owned that reporter. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:

I originally had nothing between the two, comma or "and", so I can understand how I confused kq. [Smile]
The White Whale
Member # 6594

[ROFL]

"Product placement: unengage!"

Lyrhawn wins.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
After that Picard either wore the new style

And perfected the Picard Maneuver.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
After that Picard either wore the new style

And perfected the Picard Maneuver.
Which was followed shortly thereafter by the invention of the Picard Maneuver drinking game!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Is the Picard Maneuver when he tugs his shirt?

If not, then I'm flummoxed.

[ April 03, 2008, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: The White Whale ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, yes it is.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:

Yup. [Big Grin]

"I guess you need classical training to deliver a line like that!" [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, but you also have to have a cup of Earl Grey Tea, hot.

So what is everyone's favorite Trek series? I love The Next Generation, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine, in that order, followed by Star Trek and Enterprise.

The Next Generation is seminal TV, and it ended much much better than it began, which says something when compared to shows like Buffy or The X-Files. Plus, that episode where Picard lives an entire life as a simple man on a distant plan with a family in only 20 minutes, may in fact be the greatest hour of tv I have ever seen.

It's up there with Two Cathedrals (The West Wing) and The Gift (Buffy).

BTW, Picard is better than Kirk... [Wave]

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I like Enterprise it is also the only series I have seen 90% of.
rivka
Member # 4859

I like this one.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M&NR=1

This is hilarious.

mackillian
Member # 586

rivka, that was hysterical.

this is one that makes me giggle

As for a serious answer, TNG all the way.

As for favorite episode, it had to be the Best of Both Worlds. That cliffhanger at the end of Part I was a killer.

Humean316
Member # 8175

Oh absolutely. Best of Both Worlds was great, but have you seen The Year of Hell? It was the two part episode on Voyager where the time ship began to change history in the Delta Quadrant, and Voyager came under constant attack. I think that two part episode is on par with Best of Both Worlds, both in scope and complete emotional resonance. It was absolutely brilliant.

Spoilers...

s

s

It ended with Janeway crashing Voyager into the time ship in order to destroy it, a Janeway who was scared from walking into a fire and the crew in escape pods on the way to the Alpha Quadrant. Great episode.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

"Year of Hell" was also part of that great epic tradition that Voyager really tried to follow with two part episodes. I remember being about 14 when this episode came out, and being absolutely riveted to every second of it. For me, Voyager and Deep space nine came at this time where tv shows can really have a powerful impact- and this was one that was done SO well. Brilliant.

It also honored the tradition of Voyager being under fire and shaking itself apart in every other episode. The great thing about the feel of the show, which is so different from the Enterprise on TNG, is that you really feel like Voyager is in constant physical danger, and it's like a submarine movie from the 1950s, with the people inside just gritting their teeth and hanging on for the ride.

With TNG, it was always some insidious force that the crew needed to figure out in order for them to find a way to defeat it- it was always sort of invisible. But with Voyager, the ship was getting torn up, twisted into new shapes, I think there are at least five episodes where the ship is just destroyed outright- in some alternate dimension, or a possible future, or whatever. That only happened once that I can think of on TNG- but even when the Enterprise-D was eventually destroyed, it was not a harrowing duel, but a cheap shot that did it- more invisible forces.

You have that, and Voyager being hijacked numerous times, by virtually every group they ever encountered- being assimilated, being turned into a holodeck, crashing in the 100th episode, and so on.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You just explained about 30% of why Voyager sucked.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

um, wha? [Confused]

-o-

Oh, and TNG all the way!

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, he saw the current title, not the one before ('...on Trek fans too-tight uniforms'). If it doesn't make sense it's because people were talking about different things.

-o-

Oh, and TNG all the way! [Wink]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You just explained about 30% of why Voyager sucked.

Yeah, cause there were so many better shows at the time....
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It and DS9 ran concurrently for a while. DS9 was a far better show, in my opinion, especially when compared to the early seasons of Voyager.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
DS9 was a far better show, in my opinion, especially when compared to the early seasons of Voyager.

We've had this argument before.

You're still wrong. [Wink]

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
It and DS9 ran concurrently for a while. DS9 was a far better show, in my opinion, especially when compared to the early seasons of Voyager.

You are correct, but it's unfair to compare a late season of one ST show to an early season of another. Don't you remember how much TNG and DS9 sucked at first?

That being said, Voyager wasn't nearly as bad as people now like to say. I think it's another manifestation of familiarity breeding contempt.

Although I will agree that Janeway was annoying as hell. She reminds me of Holden, in a way. [Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
I'd put any episode of Voyager up against the first two seasons before the Dominion on Deep Space Nine, and I would bet that Voyager would win every time. Whether it was Kes or 7 of 9, I always thought Voyager tended to be better, simply because I think there is much more of that familial bond in the crew of Voyager. To me, thats what I love about TNG, the friendships and families on that ship were special, as were the friendships on Voyager, but on Deep Space Nine that familial relationship always felt forced, as if the writers were more interested in The Dominion than they were in the bond of the characters on DS9. And I am really a character guy, I value character much more than story.

Still, the Dominion War was absolutely a brilliant arc on DS9, and yet, I love Voyager just a little bit more.

Actually, I like TNG much more than both of them, but as I said, Year of Hell was just awesome.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
TNG, ST, DS9, Voyager (because of the annoyingness of Janeway), Enterprise
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I think the actual story arcs that DS9 had was a good addition to Trek in general. With TNG, most of the time what happened in one episode didn't affect any of the ones following (aside from two part episodes, and the episode "Family" in the fourth season since it connected to "The Best of Both Worlds").

While I didn't mind the episodic nature of TNG, I always wondered how someone could be tortured in one episode, and perfectly fine in the next episode.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:

While I didn't mind the episodic nature of TNG, I always wondered how someone could be tortured in one episode, and perfectly fine in the next episode.

Come on, with how advanced their regenerative based medicine was of course they could heal any wounds from torture within a few hours if not a day.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:

You are correct, but it's unfair to compare a late season of one ST show to an early season of another. Don't you remember how much TNG and DS9 sucked at first?

That is the familiar arc of all the series. IF Enterprise had continued into a few more seasons, I think the results would have been much better.

Part of that is just the nature of the shows, which were always the most ambitious format for creative television. Coming up with 24 new episodes every year of decent programming is an incredible challenge. I have no idea how they managed.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
That being said, Voyager wasn't nearly as bad as people now like to say. I think it's another manifestation of familiarity breeding contempt.

Then why didn't people feel similar contempt towards the end of TNG or DS9? Or are you saying that it was familiarity with Star Trek as a whole that bred contempt? There may be some truth to that—Voyager eventually succeeded in turning me off Star Trek altogether—but I still think the show was in many ways simply not as good as either TNG or DS9.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although I will agree that Janeway was annoying as hell. She reminds me of Holden, in a way. [Wink]
Oh my stars. You're right.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Or are you saying that it was familiarity with Star Trek as a whole that bred contempt?

Got it in two. [Wink]

quote:
. . . but I still think the show was in many ways simply not as good as either TNG or DS9.
I agree.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
TNG, ST, DS9, Voyager (because of the annoyingness of Janeway), Enterprise

TNG, DS9, VGR, TOS, ENT

And it's close on those last two. Actually, it's close on those last three.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Voyager lacked was compelling characters and realistic character development. You would think that after all their years and struggles in the gamma quadrant, there would be some significant evolution of the characters but there just wasn't.

If you watch TNG, the characters evolve with time. Despite the fact that there is no over arching story, Picard isn't the same character in season 4, that he was in season 3. Data evolves, Warf evolves.

Janeway isn't one bit different at the end of the series than she was at the beginning. Neither are Chikote, Tuvak, or really any of the main characters. I'm not sure whether to blame that on the writers or the actors.

Whatever the reason, there isn't a single character in Voyager I ever cared about. They could have killed anyone on the show at anytime and I wouldn't have been moved emotionally.

That isn't true for the TNG, DS9 or even the original series. I cared about those characters in a way that I never could in Voyager.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

How did the characters in TOS change?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I don't think I could do the characters justice in a short post. Sit down sometime and watch a first season episode and then watch one from much later in the series. Picard and Data go through the most obvious character development.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

He asked about TOS. [Wink]

Icky, Kirk changed very little over the three years (far more if we include the movies), but Spock changed quite a bit. McCoy less so but still noticeably.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Voyager lacked was not necessarily good character development, but good character dynamics. I've talked about this before elsewhere, but I think most people's eyes glaze over whenever I bring up Peircian semiotics.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
I think what Voyager lacked was not necessarily good character development, but good character dynamics. I've talked about this before elsewhere, but I think most people's eyes glaze over whenever I bring up Peircian semiotics.

I agree totally with this.

In just about any situation you could use Tom Paris, Chakotay, and Harry Kim interchangeably. They are essentially the same man.

I would argue that 7 of 9 definitely went through some significant character development.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

The Doctor did as well, no one has mentioned what a good character he was.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Exactly. If there's one thing TNG did right that some of the post-DS9 Trek shows didn't do so well, it was create strongly defined, powerfully different characters.

(TNG had that problem at first for a number of reasons, but once Roddenberry stopped fiddling, that show improved greatly)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.