FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Airline woes and questions - Another airline out of business!

Author Topic: Airline woes and questions - Another airline out of business!
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Two different airlines have discontinued operations between Hawaii and the US mainland this week. [Angst] I'm planning a trip to visit my family in Idaho in early June and am trying to find a decent fare between Maui (OGG) and Salt Lake City.

While searching for a flight to Las Vegas (where I can connect fairly cheaply to SLC), I was shown a non-stop flight from OGG to SLC, then connecting to Vegas for ~$575. When I did a search just for the direct flight to SLC, the fare was $650.

I'm tempted to buy the ticket to Vegas and just not make the connection. I'm sure I can convince the folks here to just check my luggage as far as SLC, but my concern is that I might lose my return flight if I don't show up for the Vegas return flight.

Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just tough it out and pay the extra $150 (my daughter is traveling with me)? Or can I safely use only part of a round trip itinerary like this?

[ April 04, 2008, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can book it as two one-way trips for the same cost.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm tempted to buy the ticket to Vegas and just not make the connection.
In Europe, you would lose the return flight (as a friend painfully found out recently). I have no idea about the US though.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Two different airlines have discontinued operations between Hawaii and the US mainland this week. [Angst]

Hooray for go! airlines and their $9 fares. Aloha had their own problems, don't get me wrong, but there was some seriously unfair competition going on there.

As far as your question, I'd recommend just calling whichever agency you were looking at.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I can't say I haven't been taking advantage of the fare war go! initiated, although I haven't actually flown on go!. We all knew it was just a matter of time until something broke though, and Aloha certainly had issues of their own. It really made no sense that fuel prices were climbing through the roof and interisland fares kept getting lower.

I decided to pay the extra money for the peace of mind that I'll have return flights. I am kind of annoyed that I have to pay more to fly less, but what can you do?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Skybus will be stopping operations 4/5/2008.It did not fly to/from Hawaii, so won't affect us like ATA and Aloha, but it's troubling.

Here in the islands, we really pay a lot of attention to this kind of news. Our economy is so dependent on air travel for tourism, not to mention much of our perishable food. [Angst] This is getting really frightening.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my mom just flew to Ohio on Skybus from Burbank... Yikes. If she'd taken that trip to see my sister a couple of months later she could have been stranded.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Some airlines honor the tickets from airlines that go under. (Why wouldn't you? It's brilliant PR that just falls into your lap.)

If the new airline charges you a fee or you can't get the ticket honored elsewhere, Visa for sure offers chargeback rights. You can get back the entire ticket if you didn't get to use it, part of a ticket you didn't get to use, or fees from transferring it. Most of the credit cards probably offer similar deals.

So as long as you've got some room on your credit card, there's no reason not to buy a new ticket and do what you need to do. You're not going to have to pay for the old one.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
Skybus will be stopping operations 4/5/2008.It did not fly to/from Hawaii, so won't affect us like ATA and Aloha, but it's troubling.

Here in the islands, we really pay a lot of attention to this kind of news. Our economy is so dependent on air travel for tourism, not to mention much of our perishable food. [Angst] This is getting really frightening.

Eeek. I never thought of that. That really is scary.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.