FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alvin Master

Author Topic: Alvin Master
nakht45
Member # 11555

- posted      Profile for nakht45           Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently started reading OSC's books. I started with the tales of Alvin Maker, thought they were great, but now its been about 5 years since the last book Crystal City was published, but I can't find any reference to the next and supposedly last book in the series. Dose anyone have any idea when it may be coming out
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nakht45
Member # 11555

- posted      Profile for nakht45           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry ment Does and dose.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering the same thing, as I'm in the midst of re-reading Crystal City right now.

Also wondering if OSC has ever said how many books total he plans to write in the series?

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nakht45:
Sorry ment Does and dose.

I think you meant "meant", too. Btw, you can edit your posts.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Also, it'll probably be Master Alvin, rather than Alvin Master.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The series is supposed to end at book 7 (Master Alvin) but there is no ETA on said book.

If you haven't read Saints, that is quite an experience.

I'm really interested to see where Card is going to go with the final chapter of Alvin.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
To echo pooka, I believe I heard him say at a signing that Master Alvin will be the last book even if you need a library cart to carry it around. Or maybe he said that somewhere else [Smile]

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait? There's another Alvin book coming?!? Since when??? I was under the impression that the Crystal City was the end of it. I mean, sure, it ended with you wanting more. But a lot of OSC's books do that.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If the protagonist is not dead, the series is not over.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Card is on the record as saying that his stories don't end until the main character is dead (and in the case of Ender, he even found a bit of a way around that). So long as Alvin is alive, he isn't done.

Edit: or what Tom said.

Sergeant
Member # 8749

adfectio,

For some reason I felt the same way about the end of Crystal City and spent at least a year thinking it was the last book. I was overjoyed to hear that it was not in fact the last book.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
If the protagonist is not dead, the series is not over.

You're thinking of Star Wars.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant:
To echo pooka, I believe I heard him say at a signing that Master Alvin will be the last book even if you need a library cart to carry it around.

That's interesting. I thought he was thinking of breaking it in two.

Anyway, my eldest recently read all the Alvin books (and was amused but insufficiently impressed about Papa Moose, whom she has met) and also wants to know when the next one is coming out.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh.

Well I guess I have mixed feelings. Because continuation can be good. I just don't want the series to be dead, even if more books are being written. We see it way too often with TV, I just don't want that to happen to OSC.

And I can't imagine another EG sequal. That would just..... I don't know. But I don't think it would be good.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant:
To echo pooka, I believe I heard him say at a signing that Master Alvin will be the last book even if you need a library cart to carry it around.

That's interesting. I thought he was thinking of breaking it in two.
If he does, the last one will still be Master Alvin. The second to last one will be something else.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
True enough.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

Now that I think of it, perhaps it was Robert Jordan who made the library cart comment.

I recently finished listening to all of the Alvin Maker books from Audible. I think I'm pretty close to owning most of Card's novels in two formats [Smile]

Sergeant

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"If the protagonist is not dead, the series is not over."

Or in the case of the Ender series, death actually seems to have had no effect at all.

If OSC manages to live until we have organ regeneration and the ability to stop all aging-related disease, eventually the Ender canon, including short stories, etc., may end up being being more than all his other work combined.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MplsFamily
Member # 11597

- posted      Profile for MplsFamily           Edit/Delete Post 
In another thread OSC said that Master Alvin will be the last book of the Maker Series, but he will not announce it until the book is finished. I hope knowing that the next generation of our family has read my generation's copies of his books and enjoyed them greatly and is looking forward to reading Master Alvin, will encourage him to turn his efforts there!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, MplsFamily, and welcome to Hatrack!

OSC doesn't post on the forums very much any more, so there's a good chance he won't see your message. If you want to be sure it gets to him, you could try to "Contact" link in the top linkbar on this page.

What part of Minneapolis are you from? I live in the Corcoron neighborhood in South Minneapolis, about a mile North of Lake Hiawatha.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.