FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Respect for the dead?

Author Topic: Respect for the dead?
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes i think that this ideal has gone to far. Last week at my school, we had to stop school and have a three hour assembly then a day of mulling around talking about it over the death of a student.
But, the student, was a drug dealer, skipped school, got suspended for violence, and would walk around using overly vulger laungauge. he once call ed my girlfriend the c-word.
Now during the assembly(after the first hour) my friends and i went and sat in the cafeteria. After another about fifteen minutes a teacher came and screamed at us, i just said "truthfully, i don't really care". he went on to say i was being disrespectfull, i went on to say "i never knew him" he said something about how it effects everyone, i said "not us" and we left school.
The teacher didn't know us, and didn't seem to care once we left, but really isn't it going to far? why should we think of how great bad people are?
Do i really have to sit and give praise to some one i hated, i despised everything about him, how could i sit around pretending to care?

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably there were those who did care. Even drug dealers have mothers. How would you like it if someone disrespected the ceremonies for someone you did care about? Rituals are for the living, not the dead.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My school never had assemblies for dead students. They did offer optional grief counseling for those who needed it, and provided information on memorial ceremonies and excused those who missed class to attend them. I thought that was much more appropriate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Three hours? Wow. Nothing like being forced to mourn. I would have left too, Xann.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think someone should be disrespectful, but I don't think they should have to sit through a service if they don't want to. As long as they leave the room where it is taking place, I think that should be allowed. Perhaps do some sort of study hall type thing
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Forcing people to mourn is pretty tasteless.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have waited the hour.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Had the altercation with the teacher taken place in the assembly, I would say you were being disrespectful. As it is, you removed yourself from the situation and only said anything when confronted by a teacher.

I'd say you did the right thing.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have lasted an hour, either.

I agree that it doesn't sound to me like you did anything at all wrong.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
We just lost a really popular art teacher, the second teacher to die of cancer this year, the other being a 30 something gym teacher. We had an assembly the morning after she passed and watched a video us seniors had made for her while she was in the hospital. While we were watching it a freshman near me was texting on her cell phone. She didn't know her, she was being forced to sit in this gym and watch a potentially boring video of person after person talking about how much they loved her and hoped to see her again. I asked her to leave the room but I didn't think less of her for it.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
When a student died at my school, there was a 20 minute assembly, followed by optional grief counselor sessions, and the rest of the day free to be with your friends at school and socialize in whatever what you wanted. This seemed entirely appropriate to me, because the students who did need to be with their friends and grieve had the chance to do it, while the majority of the student body who had had no idea who the kid was just had a free day. We did end up playing Trivial Pursuit in rather loud voices, and I did wonder if any of his friends were upset by that, but no one complained.

I think it's important that you show you care and to be a part of the community for at least a little while -- say a 20 minute assembly -- but then they should let everyone return to their lives. People usually grieve on their own time anyway, not during designated grieving sessions, so it's all kind of pointless. I guess it's just important to stop for a while and acknowledge what happened, so those who are grieving feel supported.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassv746
Member # 11173

- posted      Profile for cassv746   Email cassv746         Edit/Delete Post 
The kids I knew who died in high school never got an assembly. They made an announcement at my school each time a student died. The principle came on and said what happened and what times the viewing and funeral were and that was about it. Sometimes grief counselor's were there sometimes not. It all depended on the grade if the kid was a freshman you could bet $100 they'd have counselor's.

We were never forced to sit through an assembly though. Even the dumb homecoming assemblies were optional where you could just sit in the cafe if you wanted.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything wrong with leaving. For a three hour assembly I would have just left campus and grabbed something to eat with my friends (which I'm allowed to do as long as I sign myself out).
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time believing that people who did not earn my respect in life, deserve my respect in death.

Still I recognize that memorials are not for the dead, they are for the living and most importantly for the living who loved the deceased. No matter how despicable I found a person to be, it seems cruel to say that those who are grieving.

It seems to me that the best compromise between those two statements is that funerals and memorials should be kept as intimate affairs for those family and friends who mourn the dead and not made in to a public spectacle where friends, enemies and stranger alike are forced to either pretend or hurt one another.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been one of the grief counselors invited in after a death in a school. I was glad to be there for the kids who really needed to talk, but many of the kids who made appointments seemed to be doing so to get out of class.

The only "group" thing I've done in that context was circle time with a kindergarten class after one of their teachers died suddenly. We talked about sad feelings, and most of them wanted to tell about their dogs or fish that had died.

I agree that forcing someone to participate in public grieving when they either didn't know or didn't like the person who died is counterproductive. When a classmate of mine in Jr. High shot himself we had a minute of silence in first period on the morning of his funeral. That, I think, was fine -- I can respect our common humanity enough for a minute of silence, even though I thought the kid was a jerk. I wouldn't have wanted to have to go to his funeral or an assembly and hear about what a great person other people thought he was though.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember a student dying while I was in high school, but a girl in junior high committed suicide and the principal came on the PA system to tell what had happened, and the teachers were directed to send students to the counseling office it was necessary.

But, I don't think you did anything wrong at all in leaving. The assembly should have been optional, or maybe mandatory for the first 20 minutes and then optional for students who wanted to. Given the circumstances, your previous encounters with the student I mean, I wouldn't have gone at all probably.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
I don't see anything wrong with leaving. For a three hour assembly I would have just left campus and grabbed something to eat with my friends (which I'm allowed to do as long as I sign myself out).

/jealous

I remember in Jr. High a girl just randomly died in our PE class. The school ended up putting a little headstone with her name on it in its garden. My homeroom teacher actually taught the student and she was crying her eyes out, but the school didn't really force anything onto us.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just overly defensive, but if that teacher would have said that to ME, they would have gotten a lot more than that. Something along the lines of "I'm not being disrespectful, I'm being apathetic. You'll know it when I'm being disrespectful, and if you stay on this subject any longer, you'll know it very soon."

I'd say that teacher got off lucky.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I was called to the office with my friends today. The assisant princible apoligized for the teacher.

On a different note i hate my school, for various resaons, dome day i will list them on a new topic.

Also one thing that really angered me was that the student was a senior, and because that we had to have the assembly. An honors freshmen who died of cancer this ear barely got a moment of silence.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.